New Captain | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Captain

Cotchin has a poor game in the EF and people wan to replace him. I think it's a cop-out.
He needs to better that performance. As do many others in that side.
Why was he so poor?
Was it because a lesser quality player got the better of him? That has happened to a lot of good/great players in the history of the game. It happens.
Was he still carrying a back injury? Who knows, but I'd be surprised if he came out and offered it as an excuse. I think he'd say he put his hand up to play, so his performance rests with him.
Or did he just have a poor game? Who really knows?

I try to be fair on his performances, I have been critical at times with his poor set shots on goal the main focus. But he did really drag the team over the line on a few occasions, so he still has banked some points.
Can he get better? No doubt he can.
But the weight of public expectations and the resultant putdowns are a little unbelievable. Talk about short, selective memories.
I will back him in.

lamb22 said:
I believe Cotch needs his back covered and that's why I advocated for joint captains with Jack and Rance (and maybe Lids).

The joint captaincy would give us a new dynamic and ease the pressure on Trent.

Now if the leadership stays the same and we are successful next year Cotchin's rep will grow but I prefer to nurture our young leaders rather than make or break them.

In any event even if Trent stays captain Jack and Rance MUST be included in the leadership group as they are our best on field leaders and Chaplin and Morris (what a disaster) need to be punted.

Leaning towards your way of thinking on this Lamby.

willo said:
Cotchin has a poor game in the EF and people wan to replace him. I think it's a cop-out.
He needs to better that performance. As do many others in that side.
Why was he so poor?
Was it because a lesser quality player got the better of him? That has happened to a lot of good/great players in the history of the game. It happens.
Was he still carrying a back injury? Who knows, but I'd be surprised if he came out and offered it as an excuse. I think he'd say he put his hand up to play, so his performance rests with him.
Or did he just have a poor game? Who really knows?

I try to be fair on his performances, I have been critical at times with his poor set shots on goal the main focus. But he did really drag the team over the line on a few occasions, so he still has banked some points.
Can he get better? No doubt he can.
But the weight of public expectations and the resultant putdowns are a little unbelievable. Talk about short, selective memories.
I will back him in.
I think it was more mental demons than physical ones, willo. He had a week off against the Dons and then picked up a lazy 30 possessions against Norf in Rd 23, so the back was okay that week. He had a good season overall, but the EF will stick in people's minds. I think you can back it in that Trent will be captain in 2016.

People are saying Deledio should be made captain. He was terrible in the EF. I was more pissed off with his game then Cotchin's. Some of his disposal was shocking. He had an easier job then Cotchin on the day. I was disappointed Cotchin seemed to try to push through and beat the tag instead of going to full forward and try to expose Ben Jacobs. If we are going off the performances of the EF to choose a captain it should be Jack. Just remember Cotchin did step up in some big games this year.