New Captain | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Captain

Said it before, will say it again. Needs to be rotated every 2-3 years. Gives more people experience and relieves the burden from others. Also means there are more experienced leaders in the team. Set the tone and then its not a big issue when someone is rolled out, also not a problem when a player is not so great as captain because its only a couple of years.

Deledio should have been made captain when Newman stepped down but you can't undo past mistakes.

Trent to remain as captain until Cory Ellis is ready to take the reigns

KnightersRevenge said:
Patience young Skywalker. The force is strong in this one but going too early could lead him to the dark side.

This padawan is ready.

tigertime2 said:

I would 100% be fine with this. At least in big games, like finals..he seems to step up and have an impact.

I've said before... i don't think Cotch is capt. material. He goes missing. He had a great few games where he seemed to will himself to go harder but it never seemed natural. I don't think he can do it game in game out...

Id make the change. think we would be a better player and as a team we would be better off.

tigertime2 said:

Gee's that would be a story of rags to riches.

Nick Maxwell only guy I can think of who came off the rookie list to become captain.

se7en said:
Gee's that would be a story of rags to riches.

Nick Maxwell only guy I can think of who came off the rookie list to become captain.
Miles would die in the trenches for his team. Has courage beyond the call of duty.

Poor Topic...

This is why other supporters laugh at us...

We have a great Captain who puts his body on the line...

Yeah Yeah final didn't step up.. But he is our number one player other coaches want to stop all games.

B2

B1 and B2 said:
Poor Topic...

This is why other supporters laugh at us...

We have a great Captain who puts his body on the line...

Yeah Yeah final didn't step up.. But he is our number one player other coaches want to stop all games.

B2

I dont think it is a poor topic at all. Cotchin has been terrific but unfortunately Dimma's form of leadership is heaping challenges on his players and then backing them in to succeed.

I think it works well most of the time but the outsourcing of responsibility to his senior players can work to take the pressure off the coaching staff.

Further like he doesn't support his A graders (particularly forwards) with talented young B graders but prefers Dimmaclone grunts, similarly he likes try hard plodders in his leadership group.

Cotchin got a lot of stick for kicking into the wind against Port but I cant believe that wasn't a joint decision with the coaches but Cotch was left high and dry.

I believe Cotch needs his back covered and that's why I advocated for joint captains with Jack and Rance (and maybe Lids).

The joint captaincy would give us a new dynamic and ease the pressure on Trent.

Now if the leadership stays the same and we are successful next year Cotchin's rep will grow but I prefer to nurture our young leaders rather than make or break them.

In any event even if Trent stays captain Jack and Rance MUST be included in the leadership group as they are our best on field leaders and Chaplin and Morris (what a disaster) need to be punted.

haunteddoubt said:
Sans the elimination final I reckon Cotch has been a good captain in 2015.

Have thought about it a bit and agree with this. Cotchin's leadership is still improving, and it's easy to forget how young he is. Think his best years are ahead.

Richmond's three longest-serving captains are Bentley (25y139d when he captained his first game), Dyer (26y255d) and Minogue (28y240d). Cotchin's only 25½. Other captains Dean, Weightman, Wright, Cloke, Lee & Newman took the reins when older than Cotchin is now. Only Carey & Voss, and Callan Ward as a co-captain, have led their teams in more games at the same age, with Judd just behind.

In the event Cotchin asked to be relieved of the captaincy, my vote would go to Riewoldt.

If there were to be a change of Skipper then it could only come from four players ... Rance, Riewoldt, Miles and Vlastuin