MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

First game of league of watched in years, I was riveted. Tough, unforgiving, electric.

I know the SOO is the cream of the crop but I might need to watch a few more games.

AFL on the other hand, stinks at the moment.

Noticed the NRL during that game, used an independent doctor for the HIA's. Does the AFL? If it doesn't could be a good chance to get something right this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Noticed the NRL during that game, used an independent doctor for the HIA's. Does the AFL? If it doesn't could be a good chance to get something right this year.
I believe there is a third party doc who can make the call? Maybe I'm imagining that.

So it turns out the AFL Tribunal guidelines are out of whack with the AFL Laws of the Game.
Professional

But it’s ok, Dillon says the games never been better…
I imagine one is much harder to change than the other.

Given players are tackled from different angles and at different speeds it would be partly around the mindset behind the tackle (as I stated).

What ate they trying to achieve?

To catch the player?

To retard the player?

Or to drive them all the way into the ground?

If you tackle from behind and land on the players pack isn’t it a free kick? (For example)

If a player is tackled and slung around you now see players adjusting the motion so it doesn’t lead to players being smashed when they are in a vulnerable state.

When there are many examples of players being tackled throughout every single game that don’t involve the tackled player having both arms pinned and their faces driven into the ground, I don’t subscribe to the notion that ‘there’s nothing you can do’, or that if you didn’t the player ‘would escape being tackled’.

Are you suggesting that there are instances where the only tackling option is to pin both arms and then ride the player until they hit the ground with their face?

(Which I think you are describing as following through with the tackle?)

That’s like saying all sling tackles that lead to players heads being smashed into the ground are unavoidable.

If you ‘follow through’ to the point where their heads smash into the ground you pay the bill.
In Bedford's case Taranto's head was not driven into the ground, his right hip and shoulder took most of the impact on the ground, so safe to assume his aim was to 1. prevent TT from getting away and 2. prevent TT from disposing of the ball. Given how quickly Bedford tackled TT, who was crouched over getting away, then to achieve both 1 and 2 he laid the perfect tackle. Even if he had tried to retard him in any other manner, TT's shoulder and maybe his head could have still hit the ground. It's a contact sport involving tackling so do we want a rule that only allows 'stand-up tackles'? I don't think so.

Last edited:
In Bedford's case Taranto's head was not driven into the ground, his right hip and shoulder took most of the impact on the ground, so safe to assume his aim was to 1. prevent TT from getting away and 2. prevent TT from disposing of the ball.
I dont think anyone is really suggesting Bedford intended to drive TT's head into the ground, but he pinned his arms and tackled him in a way that was likely to cause TT to go to ground and then likely to cause his head to hit the ground, which was likely to lead to TT getting knocked out.

As far a i can tell the latest appeal did not dispute this, just that the tribunal did not make that distinction clear.

Reactions: 2 users
I dont think anyone is really suggesting Bedford intended to drive TT's head into the ground, but he pinned his arms and tackled him in a way that was likely to cause TT to go to ground and then likely to cause his head to hit the ground, which was likely to lead to TT getting knocked out.

As far a i can tell the latest appeal did not dispute this, just that the tribunal did not make that distinction clear.
What other kind of tackle would have realistically allowed Bedford to achieve both 1 and 2 and still prevent any whiplash to TT's head and avoid his head and/or shoulders hitting the ground?

Listening to 3AW and they are now victim blaming TT for being concussed following the tackle. Lobby Lloyd reckons TT is 15 kgs heavier and Bedford should not have been penalized, as has the media GOAT Leigh Mathews. Both the station and both of them can GAGF.
The AFL is a particularly poor example of just how far corporate Australia has fallen. In layman’s terms most of Australias biggest businesses including big business in sports, are run by towering incompetents that seem to be given free reign by our useless governments - and ineffective consumer watchdogs.

Irrespective of the endless discussions about the chopping and changing of suspensions handed down and then revoked by another arm of the useless AFL administration, the fact of the matter is Richmond has been shafted yet again by losing one of its better players for at least one game.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was some kind of compensation for that sort of loss?

Reactions: 2 users
In Bedford's case Taranto's head was not driven into the ground, his right hip and shoulder took most of the impact on the ground, so safe to assume his aim was to 1. prevent TT from getting away and 2. prevent TT from disposing of the ball. Given how quickly Bedford tackled TT, who was crouched over getting away, then to achieve both 1 and 2 he laid the perfect tackle. Even if he had tried to retard him in any other manner, TT's shoulder and maybe his head could have still hit the ground. It's a contact sport involving tackling so do we want a rule that only allows 'stand-up tackles'? I don't think so.
Preventing TT from getting away or disposing of the ball doesn’t absolve Bedford of his actions, which directly contributed to TT’s concussion.

Nor does calling it a perfect tackle.

Bedford caught up to TT easily and was travelling at a quicker speed than him when he chose to leap onto him (with his feet leaving the ground), whilst simultaneously pinning his arms.

The momentum from his leap combined with his body weight meant TT was definitely going to go to ground, and in a manner that was highly conducive to his head hitting the ground given he had no way of protecting himself due to both arms being pinned.

The way in which Bedford executed the tackle was not the only way of doing so.

A good example of this was in the 1st QTR of tonight’s ESS vs Crows game at approx. the 13min 30 sec mark where McCrath (I think) caught a Crows player from behind (the same way Bedford caught TT) and pinned his arms and brought him to ground in an aggressive yet controlled manner (without falling or leaping into his back).

The Ch. 7 commentator even made the point of highlighting it as ‘carefully bringing him to ground’.

The tackle wasn’t soft or a ‘stand up tackle’ which you alluded to as the only other alternative to Bedford’s tackle.

McCrath either adjusted his technique for that type of tackle on his own, or it was taught to him at training. But it was excellent, and he was clearly mindful of what he was doing in the moment.

His tackle was a perfect tackle, and the end result was not just the luck of the fall.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been watching VFL/AFL when Captain Blood Mopsy Lou etc etc were running around the paddock. I consider todays game for clarity on rules at its lowest point. Rule after rule introduced by Game Committee who deem it necessary to make a change each year. The worst is the Stand absolutely horrible to watch. That rule should Mark The Mark or Free which allows the player to move sideways but not over the Mark/Free spot. Kick out after point is now advantage for defending team. Go back to the old system which was not broke. Dangerous tackle they have no idea especially MRO. Time for Dillon/Kane to bite the bullet set up a Board to run a rule over the rules. No commentator on that Board.

Balta and the Hop are this weeks raffle winners , their prize is a kind donation to Dillon’s trip away fund

• Wow
Surprised Nank wasn’t pinged for red mist descending. After that soft free to Marshall in the goal square he had the thousand yard stare going when they went back to the centre for the bounce. He then charged at Marshall like he wanted to send him to Epworth, and crashed into him hard, conceding another free.

Thank god this isn’t the 1980s I thought to myself.

Surprised Nank wasn’t pinged for red mist descending. After that soft free to Marshall in the goal square he had the thousand yard stare going when they went back to the centre for the bounce. He then charged at Marshall like he wanted to send him to Epworth, and crashed into him hard, conceding another free.

Thank god this isn’t the 1980s I thought to myself.
If it was the 80's Nank woulda just lent Marshall his spare coat hanger, none of this bustling n bumping crap.

• Haha
Bloody surprised Flossy wasn't asked to make a donation after his tackle on Higlett. Maybe that Christian bloke doesn't like poor Higlett either.