MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

What ever sport you follow punishments for indiscretions genuine or otherwise by review bodies will depend more on the body members idea of public reaction rather than fact or letter of the law.

You could argue that Crowley casserley and co are getting executed for taking whatever they're on while a life threatening move by Dempsey gets a relatively light wrist slap.

Chimptastic said:
Dempsey's defense included the fact he was racially abused on twitter the next day.

Yep, as well as the fact that he's "fighting to continue his AFL career" and doesn't have a media career lined up after footy. Defended by Adrian Anderson. As I said on the game day thread - that guy always was a goose of the highest order.

im in 2 minds about the suspension.
i dont think there was deliberate maliciousness in the tackle, and compared to say TV clocking Cox from behind (if you think he meant it) the intent was nowhere near as bad.
but as has been said the tackle had potential to do serious damage and the lengthy suspension will help stop players throwing guys on there head, so from that point of view it is a good thing.

i reckon a couple of years ago Walker from the Crows did a much worse tackle on Kingy, lifted him and tried to drive his head into the ground. i dont think a free was even paid. i remember being furious at the time.

Chimptastic said:
Dempsey's defense included the fact he was racially abused on twitter the next day.

Dempsey wasn't actually mounting a defence: he was seeking leniency.

When anyone gets found to be (or pleads) guilty, they get a chance to trot out the usual scenarios: troubled childhood, broken home, abusive father etc... Prior to a penalty being set.

Brodders17 said:
i dont think there was deliberate maliciousness in the tackle, and compared to say TV clocking Cox from behind (if you think he meant it) the intent was nowhere near as bad.

Couldn't disagree more. It was stupid beyond belief, and Dempsey was instantly cognisant of what he'd done.

Twice in 39 years I've feared for a player's life on the field - this, and Robert Wiley colliding with a goalpost in the mid 80's and getting carried off unconscious. It was frightening, even "distressing" as described by the AFL's counsel.

By sheer luck Deledio is OK. Four weeks is a stiff penalty these days. Hopefully the message gets through.

The slow motion replay clearly shows the expression of distress on Lids' face as he is lifted off the ground in that tackle. In that split second he knew what was coming and was helpless. Thank God he is ok! The penalty for Dempsey should've been at least 6 weeks to send a stern message to all players. As for Adrian Anderson....he is the lowest common denominator!!

DirtyDogTiger said:
Dempsey wasn't actually mounting a defence: he was seeking leniency.

When anyone gets found to be (or pleads) guilty, they get a chance to trot out the usual scenarios: troubled childhood, broken home, abusive father etc... Prior to a penalty being set.

Interesting, thanks for that. How come that happens? Would it be due to the MRP wanting to follow legal processes in the belief it's the most effective way of dealing with AFL reports? If so, it isn't clear to me why it applies in a sporting context. Sure, a murderer should have that opportunity to explain his upbringing etc, and it should count when deciding his penalty, but citing Dempsey's lack of media work and a racist tweet in order to reduce his penalty from 4-5 weeks to 2-3 weeks in Round 22 doesn't make sense to me.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Couldn't disagree more. It was stupid beyond belief, and Dempsey was instantly cognisant of what he'd done.

Twice in 39 years I've feared for a player's life on the field - this, and Robert Wiley colliding with a goalpost in the mid 80's and getting carried off unconscious. It was frightening, even "distressing" as described by the AFL's counsel.

By sheer luck Deledio is OK. Four weeks is a stiff penalty these days. Hopefully the message gets through.

Absolutely agree with this. It happened right in front of me at the ground and I genuinely feared for Lids safety.
I felt like jumping the fence at the time. Firstly because I was so worried for Lids when he didn't move and secondly out of anger at Dempsey.
That Don scumbag is very lucky that he only got 4 weeks and Lids is very lucky that the injury wasn't far worse.
Absolutely disgusting act. Hope it spells the end of his career. :mad: