Missed by that much....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missed by that much.......

Can you imagine if we took him as a schoolboy and he took until this year to show something?
We'd have been calling for his delisting for 3-4 years on the trot now

To be fair, Barlow was deemed too slow to be picked in the Murray Bushies TAC side.

Played firsts with Shepparton United as a junior off HBF I think, then went in to midfield as a senior player. Over two years in Goulburn Valley Footy he collected monstrous stats in a very quiet way, similar to his AFL style.

Just proved in 1 game why 15 clubs didnt pick him up, his kicking sucks big time,
freo will regret signing him up longer, looks like a poor version Shane Tuck even wears 21

Harry said:
So he won the B&F in the VFL, the second best league in the country, is 22 years old, and we were looking outside the box and we missed him? How did that happen?

Because our recruiters are ordinary.

IanG said:
No, because we wanted good kicks.

Barlow is a better kick than Dea based off what they have shown so far. As I said before he's not elite but he's not bad either. Only saw him stuff up 2 kicks last night but it's not hard to do that when you have 34 touches. Other than that I've seen him hit most of his targets, it's just a weird kicking action but not a bad one. Barlow is a very, very good player, would kill to have him at Richmond. He's one of the main reasons they have shot up the ladder, other than that their team is very similar to last year's besides a couple of kids.

Barnzy said:
Barlow is a better kick than Dea based off what they have shown so far. As I said before he's not elite but he's not bad either. Only saw him stuff up 2 kicks last night but it's not hard to do that when you have 34 touches. Other than that I've seen him hit most of his targets, it's just a weird kicking action but not a bad one. Barlow is a very, very good player, would kill to have him at Richmond. He's one of the main reasons they have shot up the ladder, other than that their team is very similar to last year's besides a couple of kids.
What a stupid comparison

ZeroGame said:
What a stupid comparison

How is it a stupid comparison? Ian said we wanted good kicks thus maybe a reason why we didn't pick up Barlow. From what I've seen Barlow is a better kick than Dea.

Barnzy said:
How is it a stupid comparison? Ian said we wanted good kicks thus maybe a reason why we didn't pick up Barlow. From what I've seen Barlow is a better kick than Dea.
Out of interest how many times you seen Dea kick the ball? I think too there is a big diff between an 18yo and a 22yo who has been playing VFL in terms of scope for improvement. especially with the background of Dea and his obvious struggle to adapt to the pace.

Last night was the 1st time i have paid much attention to Barlow. i missed the 1st half. In the 2nd half i reckon he had about 5 kicks. one went in to the man on the mark from about 35m out from goal, 2 others were shocking turnovers and the other 2 hit easy targets. small sample i know but...
he did win plenty of the ball though.

Brodders17 said:
Out of interest how many times you seen Dea kick the ball? I think too there is a big diff between an 18yo and a 22yo who has been playing VFL in terms of scope for improvement. especially with the background of Dea and his obvious struggle to adapt to the pace.

Agreed. Hopefully once Dea adapts to the pace he can improve his kicking because it's been pretty shocking so far and he seems to have no confidence in his foot skills, always looking to handball. Must say with that ball drop I dunno how much he can improve it but we will see. Was just pointing out it would be weird if we overlooked Barlow because of his kicking skills but then grabbed Dea.

Brodders17 said:
Last night was the 1st time i have paid much attention to Barlow. i missed the 1st half. In the 2nd half i reckon he had about 5 kicks. one went in to the man on the mark from about 35m out from goal, 2 others were shocking turnovers and the other 2 hit easy targets. small sample i know but...
he did win plenty of the ball though.

Wasn't one of his better nights disposal wise but he still only had 4 clangers out of 34 touches, not bad at all especially since he had 14 tackles, a number of clearances and contested possessions. I've watched him every single week and while his kicking isn't elite but it's not bad at all, I would call it neat...similar to a D.Swan. Hits his targets most if not all times but it's not a flashy or an attractive style. Can't be too bad if his in the top few for score involvements up with the Ablett's, Swan's, Bartel's of the world. Also another great thing he has which most of our team doesn't have is a great football brain.

Barlow is a gun, plain and simple. Those saying they wouldn't want him probably haven't watched him play, or just don't want to acknowledge we missed a great player.

Barnzy said:
Agreed. Hopefully once Dea adapts to the pace he can improve his kicking because it's been pretty shocking so far and he seems to have no confidence in his foot skills, always looking to handball. Must say with that ball drop I dunno how much he can improve it but we will see. Was just pointing out it would be weird if we overlooked Barlow because of his kicking skills but then grabbed Dea.
We overlooked Barlow when he was a school boy, not this year. He was training with Essendon prior to the PSD & Rookie drafts, they are the ones who overlooked him this year.

Given Dae was taken as an 18 year old in the 3rd round of the National Draft and Barlow was taken as a 22 year old in the rookie draft, the comparison is just ridiculous.

Barnzy said:
Barlow is a better kick than Dea based off what they have shown so far. As I said before he's not elite but he's not bad either. Only saw him stuff up 2 kicks last night

No offence but you weren't watching close enough then. This is a guy who running at full tilt couldn't even kick it to the goal line from the 50 metre line. Dea at least has a good kicking action and kicks well at lower levels, he just needs to gain confidence.

You also still have to address the fact that 14 other clubs overlooked Barlow. In hindsight I'd want him but it is fairly obvious why all clubs bar Freo didn't pick him up.

IanG said:
Dea at least has a good kicking action and kicks well at lower levels, he just needs to gain confidence.

His kicking action/ball drop is terrible. End result so far has been terrible, hopefully he can improve on this as he adapts to the pace as I said.

IanG said:
You also still have to address the fact that 14 other clubs overlooked Barlow. In hindsight I'd want him but it is fairly obvious why all clubs bar Freo didn't pick him up.

No I can't see why 14 other clubs overlooked him.

Barnzy said:
His kicking action/ball drop is terrible. End result so far has been terrible, hopefully he can improve on this as he adapts to the pace as I said.

No I can't see why 14 other clubs overlooked him.
pedantics, but it is prob worth mentioning the dockers also overlooked him in the ND and PSD, they cant have been too keen to leave him to the rookie draft.