Missed by that much....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missed by that much.......

I'm probably going to be shouted down by all the Barlowmaniacs, but if Barlow was with us, he'd be Shane Tuck mkII.

wayne said:
I'm probably going to be shouted down by all the Barlowmaniacs, but if Barlow was with us, he'd be Shane Tuck mkII.
Well I have to be honest and say I havent really seen Barlow play ( apart from a few glimpses against us). Are you saying he's a goer but has poor disposal?

I think his kicking against us was average, but being in a good side, his grubbers were to guys playing in front who would then gather and hand off to runners.

wayne said:

Besides the better foot skills and good football brain....yeah, he's Shane Tuck..... :eek:

The fanfare just reminds me of when Tucky had his breakout year in 2005.

How could the Hawks let him go, how did the Tigers get him at pick #73....

He's doing well for my supercoach side, but I'm not angry that the Tigers didn't draft him.

He'd be dishing out handballs to players who are flat footed, and kicking to a forward line where everyone is playing from behind. He'd be the new whipping boy and the media and opposition fans would be telling us again that we've drafted another guy with poor skills.

wayne said:

He's doing well for my supercoach side, but I'm not angry that the Tigers didn't draft him.

He'd be dishing out handballs to players who are flat footed, and kicking to a forward line where everyone is playing from behind. He'd be the new whipping boy and the media and opposition fans would be telling us again that we've drafted another guy with poor skills.

I seriously doubt it. Barlow has something Tuck has never had and that's a football brain. His skills are certainly not poor either, rarely see him miss targets which already puts him a mile in front of Tuck. I know you're trying to make excuses as to why we didn't pick him up but I just don't see your situation occuring.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
at least we went and looked at him ;D

As ridiculous as it sounds it is actually a pretty big positive and improvement on only a few short years ago.

evo said:
As ridiculous as it sounds it is actually a pretty big positive and improvement on only a few short years ago.

Considering Barlow is 22 I assume it was that few short years ago when we actually went to Assumption to look at him.

wayne said:

Yeah, I understand what you are saying.

rosy23 said:
Was interested to read in today's Weekly Times article about Ray Carroll that some Richmond recruiters went to Assumption to look at Michael Barlow. They decided he didn't fit our game plan. I'd love to know what kind of game plan couldn't fit a player like that in.

Also in the same article Carroll says about Sir Francis "he wasn't outstanding as a schoolboy footballer".

Just goes to show you win some and you lose some.

So this was Wallace and Miller saying he didn't fit our game plan?

How did Barlow go in the VFL last year. I'm assuming he did quite well. So that in mind and the fact that we were "looking outside the square" with our later picks last year how did we possibly miss him? even as a rookie?

Harry said:
How did Barlow go in the VFL last year. I'm assuming he did quite well. So that in mind and the fact that we were "looking outside the square" with our later picks last year how did we possibly miss him? even as a rookie?

Averaged 30 possies for Werribee and won the Fothergill-Round Medal (same medal Nahas won).

Barnzy said:
Averaged 30 possies for Werribee and won the Fothergill-Round Medal (same medal Nahas won).

So he won the B&F in the VFL, the second best league in the country, is 22 years old, and we were looking outside the box and we missed him? How did that happen?

Harry said:
So he won the B&F in the VFL, the second best league in the country, is 22 years old, and we were looking outside the box and we missed him? How did that happen?

Well the Fothergill-Round Medal is the league's best young player. He did come 2nd in the overall VFL B&F though (JJ Liston) and made the VFL team of the year. I have no idea why we overlooked him to be honest, he would've slotted straight into our midfield IMO with Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Martin. I know kicking was a big criteria and Barlow isn't elite in that area but I'm yet to see him miss many if any targets and he also has a great football brain. Leysey said it the other day, trying to be too smart can hurt, we went outside the box, drafted a basketballer who had played all of about 3 TAC matches (not saying he won't be good by the way) and overlooked the obvious. Oh well, what's done is done *sigh*.

the hype around barlow reminds me of the hype around Dalziel when he burst onto the scene. be interesting to see how his career goes.

Hopefully augers well for Myles Sewell in 2011 who is another in the "Barlow" category.

the biggest problem that i see, how does freo recruit a guy playing in the VFA?
Not only to they polish off the cream in the WAFL, now they have come over and raid our local leagues..
Where not the only team that missed out on him, what was footscray and north doing?
Rumours going around was that Matty knights wasnt prepared to pick him up and someone at essendon told one of there old essendon mates at freo..

zippadeee said:
the biggest problem that i see, how does freo recruit a guy playing in the VFA?
Not only to they polish off the cream in the WAFL, now they have come over and raid our local leagues..
Where not the only team that missed out on him, what was footscray and north doing?
Rumours going around was that Matty knights wasnt prepared to pick him up and someone at essendon told one of there old essendon mates at freo..

Yeah, don't know what Knights was doing. Didn't Barlow train with Essendon? That's even worse.

rosy23 said:
Was interested to read in today's Weekly Times article about Ray Carroll that some Richmond recruiters went to Assumption to look at Michael Barlow. They decided he didn't fit our game plan. I'd love to know what kind of game plan couldn't fit a player like that in.

Also in the same article Carroll says about Sir Francis "he wasn't outstanding as a schoolboy footballer".

Just goes to show you win some and you lose some.

Story of our life really. We take the crap and leave the good stuff. Sick and F tired of crap decision making.