Missed by that much....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missed by that much.......

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Was interested to read in today's Weekly Times article about Ray Carroll that some Richmond recruiters went to Assumption to look at Michael Barlow. They decided he didn't fit our game plan. I'd love to know what kind of game plan couldn't fit a player like that in.

Also in the same article Carroll says about Sir Francis "he wasn't outstanding as a schoolboy footballer".

Just goes to show you win some and you lose some.

rosy23 said:
Was interested to read in today's Weekly Times article about Ray Carroll that some Richmond recruiters went to Assumption to look at Michael Barlow. They decided he didn't fit our game plan. I'd love to know what kind of game plan couldn't fit a player like that in.

Also in the same article Carroll says about Sir Francis "he wasn't outstanding as a schoolboy footballer".

Just goes to show you win some and you lose some.
Well to be fair, how long ago was it? Maybe he was a late developer.
He was overlooked by plenty of other clubs, so it doesn't surprise that we missed him.

We struggle to even identify the stars, so I am not suprised that we overlooked Barlow.

willo said:
Well to be fair, how long ago was it? Maybe he was a late developer.
He was overlooked by plenty of other clubs, so it doesn't surprise that we missed him.

I wouldn't think my post was unfair. There was no judgement or opinion given. I just thought it might interest some that we'd checked the kid out.

Well if it were at school it'd have to be about 5/6 yrs ago. Every club had multiple chances to secure Barlow of many years. The reason why no-one took his is the AFL clubs reliance ( and hope0 on under 18 players.

Hopefully the success of Barlow, Pods and to a lesser extent Silvagni, makes the recruiters have a change of attitude when it comes to VFL players. But I doubt it as we've seen Davey, Nahas, Mitchell and many others come from the VFL in previous years without this changed approach.

tigertim said:
Well if it were at school it'd have to be about 5/6 yrs ago. Every club had multiple chances to secure Barlow of many years. The reason why no-one took his is the AFL clubs reliance ( and hope0 on under 18 players.

Hopefully the success of Barlow, Pods and to a lesser extent Silvagni, makes the recruiters have a change of attitude when it comes to VFL players. But I doubt it as we've seen Davey, Nahas, Mitchell and many others come from the VFL in previous years without this changed approach.

You referring to RFC recruiters or recruiters in general TT?

rosy23 said:
I wouldn't think my post was unfair. There was no judgement or opinion given. I just thought it might interest some that we'd checked the kid out.

the topic does two things - one negative and one positive.
negative - reminds us of our questionable recruiting.
positive - reminds us that we can have success recruiting despite the GC and GWS advantage.

Barnzy said:
Robert Hicks would want to turn into a good, good footballer.

Yeah its Hicks fault. No other player was drafted in the 3 drafts before or 80 odd picks before Barlow in 2009

rosy23 said:

The game plan Wallace served up for 5 years!

lamb22 said:
Yeah its Hicks fault. No other player was drafted in the 3 drafts before or 80 odd picks before Barlow in 2009

When did I insinuate it's Hick's fault? ???

barlow might be flavour of the month but i garuantee he will be worked out by every other club by next year and then we'll see if we stuffed up or not.

Without knowing when we looked at him it is a mute point really and every other club overlooked lhim as well and didn't Essendon have him at training recently and decided against him as well?

rosy23 said:

out of interest what kind of player was he in those days? maybe the reason he couldnt fit into our game plan was because he wasnt good enough back then and it has taken the last few years of hard work to get to his current standard.
blx said:
barlow might be flavour of the month but i garuantee he will be worked out by every other club by next year and then we'll see if we stuffed up or not.
whilst i wont guarantee he will be worked out by every other club, it always gets me that the majority complain about short term fixes then want to judge draft picks straight away.