Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

Also warming more and more to Sam Davidson:

Sam Davidson (20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 80% disposal efficiency, seven marks, four inside-50s, three tackles, three goals)

“It was his best game for the club. He was outstanding on the MCG in the wide-open spaces. He's one of the very best runners at the footy club, and it was really clear that he was covering the ground better than most.”
They had him playing the Grigga ruck role backing up the Brindle as well against Essendrugs. Somewhat miffed we didn't throw him a line.

Reactions: 2 users
I sure hope we don't end up rueing not having selected all 3 of El Nour, Davidson, & May...

Reactions: 1 users
Gotta say disappointed we didn't use the 3rd pick.
OBviously had our eyes on someone who went earlier (Teakle?) but i feel we could have taken on a 3rd rookie and had a good look at them.
Particularly a mature ager so we could assess immediately.
We could still do with more speedy mids (murphy or wilson or garner) wouldve been great

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This reminds me of the Christmas I didn't get a bike. Really wanted Nour or Davidson, but I admit I'm biased and those making decisions know best. My excitement will return on the weekend to see Morris play with his new toys. Hopefully this includes a revitalised and able OHB that'll make Teakle look like a pair on undies.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally think we could have taken another tall KPF

Howes / Remy

6 month contract would have given Richmond a free hit at a young KPF that may have just taken another step in a afl team

Reactions: 1 users
There's been talk that we let slide some of the better talent that were asking for 18 months contract obviously some clubs don't have a strong draft hand that we have and perhaps can offer a 18 month contract.

Smart by us as we don't want our hands tied leading up to this years national draft.

Now our first pick Blight considered a general in the defence, the best key defender in the mid-season draft so we did extremely well with that pic.

Our second Gray a tall utility who can play forward or back looks like an exciting talent still early days I know but seems like he has so much upside in him.

Now compare this list (image attached), tell me apart from North's first pick in Payne who else is considered a big miss by us.
I think Richmond and North did the best from this list of 19 players.

IMG_1592.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
There's been talk that we let slide some of the better talent that were asking for 18 months contract obviously some clubs don't have a strong draft hand that we have and perhaps can offer a 18 month contract.

Smart by us as we don't want our hands tied leading up to this years national draft.

Now our first pick Blight considered a general in the defence, the best key defender in the mid-season draft so we did extremely well with that pic.

Our second Gray a tall utility who can play forward or back looks like an exciting talent still early days I know but seems like he has so much upside in him.

Now compare this list (image attached), tell me apart from North's first pick in Payne who else is considered a big miss by us.

View attachment 22900
AT its not the players taken and gripes on not picking them, but its the missed opportunity on the 3rd pick.

Is Baker leaving? Graham? Lets have 4 months looking at possible replacements.

We need run in the midfield. Lets take a swing at a zippy onballer carving up the vfl wafl sanfl.

I personally think we could have taken another tall KPF

Howes / Remy

6 month contract would have given Richmond a free hit at a young KPF that may have just taken another step in a afl team
Agree Turk. Get Howes or Remy in and have plenty of options when we look at our list in November.

Or get a speedy mid to be ready to replace Baker.
That was my preference

the 6 month contract thing is nonsense. would we for example delist Gray at the end of the year if he showed very little? he's a project pick and will need a few pre-seasons at least.

Reactions: 4 users
2 players would have to be promoted to a lower number to fit in Blight and Gray. Doubt they'd get 6, 11, 12 or 16 this early.

My pick: Seth and Miller

View attachment 22900

Saad El-Hawli and Tom Hanily the most likely propects for Leysy.

AT its not the players taken and gripes on not picking them, but its the missed opportunity on the 3rd pick.

Is Baker leaving? Graham? Lets have 4 months looking at possible replacements.

We need run in the midfield. Lets take a swing at a zippy onballer carving up the vfl wafl sanfl.

Yeah i wouldve liked El Nour or Davidson on our third pick but the club knows more as to why they passed, they have more intel than us.

2024 ND is the midfielders draft we will load up then. I was happy with our two talls and had we had another pick another tall in El Nour or Davidson I would be happy with. Baker seems likely but perhaps not 100% gone (hope he stays). Graham again not 100% decided our hands were a little tied.

Taranto is back for the Hawks game. Ross and Hopper from what I hear after the bye V Blues. I don't disagree, we do need quick runners but dont think the MSD is going to get us a gun-running mid whos going to start. Our key concerns were forward and back and glad we looked to address this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users