Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

From the main board at Big Footy, so take it with a huge spoonful of salt but we're rumored to be interested in Will Patton (not the actor)

He would be interesting Tompers. He was expected to be drafted last year but didn’t. I thought he was pretty handy. AA and SA Captain. Very tidy kick of the football albeit left side dominant. Nice overhead intercept mark. Think Jake Lever-ish.

If I had a knock on him personally, it’d be that he might be a tad slow from a pure defensive perspective ie might get burnt on a lead.

If his shoulder is ok, he might fit that tall intercept role down back going forward. (See how I did that Tompers ? Gold.)

Reactions: 1 users
Noah Howes might just lack a little athleticism for the top flight. Here he is for SA v Allies on the weekend:

This bloke has the turning circle of the titanic lol he aint getting picked up. He could barely get his hands to his knees as well picking the ball up off the ground. Hard pass

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
We'd have to consider Will McLachlan. Another 6 goals on the weekend. Quick. Good overhead. Nice left foot. Loves a snag.

Nothing in those highlights screamed AFL traits to me.

Over-ager. Didn't look one touch below his knees. Isn't tall enough to be a marking forward in the AFL.

Pass for mine.

Reactions: 2 users
McLachlan looks to be the player with the most chance of making it to 100 games at our selection

Wouldnt be too unhappy with McLachlan , McLean & Davidson

Im still keen on Joe Pike promising young ruckman.

What's your dream 3 or 4 not taking into account that 1 or 2 are likely to be off the table.

1. Pike (ruck)
2. Davidson (forward)
3. El nour or Patton (defenders)

Reactions: 1 user
Fair enough but we could have included Mate Colina on the long term injury list. The poor guy has spent virtually the whole of his AFL career to date on the injury list!
Mate is a cat B so he doesn't take a spot on the regular list. So injured or not it makes no difference and doesn't get us a pick in the draft

Reactions: 6 users

What's your dream 3 or 4 not taking into account that 1 or 2 are likely to be off the table.

1. Pike (ruck)
2. Davidson (forward)
1. Jasper Scaife (i'd also be happy with Noah Howes)
2. Anthony Davis
3. Kobe Ryan
4. Tom Murphy (frankston)
5. Lachie Wilson
6. Muttley El Nour

3 Of those and we get 4 months to look at potential long term players

We can't afford to miss someone tonight.
We have pick 2 not pick 17 or 18.
This bloke should know who's the best preforming kid currently and the one with the biggest growth.
Collingwood are down playing there kid in the 2's. But I'm not sure we need a 'Plapp' type anyway.
The kid from Geelong, he looks the goods. Another 6 goals on the weekend.
The Rance lookalike from WA, Blight.
If can play Back & move forward, how can you not select him. Especially with the build and height he has.
The X Port kid Teakle 45 hit outs and 3 goals on the weekend. That means he marks a ball. Not like the ones we have selected previously.
Tocue can't miss.

1. Pike (ruck)
2. Davidson (forward)
Cavanagh and Batten in the HS have us linked to him Hirsute you fluffy werewolf you.

Also Smarrt and Hutchinson. Would have thought Hutchinson is past his prime.

1716930350813.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Aside from taking a very nice hanger, Jack Hutchinson’s form is rather underwhelming. A big no for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Positions we need to reinforce.

1. Pacey mids
2. Marking torward
3. Ruck
4. Tall defender

Defender may have rocketed up the charts.

1. Pike (ruck)
2. Davidson (forward)
I'd probably take El Nour (18 month contract) with the first pick if there was strong Intel he was going in the first round. If not would pick Blight with the first (El Nour second). Go for Davidson with the second/third, and if Pike or Kuol mun is available with the third round take one of them and if not then go for Archie May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'd be happy with any of Liam McMahon, Jacob Blight, Austin Johnson, Will Patton, Mutaz El Nour, Geordie Payne

STILL THE LIFE FOR RILEY

Richmond’s former top-20 draft pick Riley Collier-Dawkins says he has matured as both a person and footballer ahead of tonight’s mid-season draft.
Collier-Dawkins’s early-season VFL form has put him into calculations to be handed a lifeline by an AFL club.
He admits he was “rattled” by his delisting from Richmond at the end of 2022 after only 13 games in four seasons after arriving as a player of huge promise.
The buzzy midfielder played a season in the SANFL but had his year ruined by a shoulder reconstruction before hitting the ground running with Williamstown this year.
Carlton has done plenty of due diligence on Collier-Dawkins, but as many as eight teams have made contact through his manager. Averaging 6.3 clearances a game, he told Moneyball he had done plenty of growing up in the last 18 months.
“I went over to the SANFL, probably still a little bit rattled from my exit at Richmond,” he said. “I went over with the intention to get back to the AFL really quickly and didn’t have the right mental model to attack it properly.
“I was in a rush. In the second half of the year I had a shoulder reconstruction and the injury and time away from the game gives you perspective and some resilience as well,” he said.
“The time off felt like the end of the world but it actually set me up for a good year.
“Whether you play well or poorly you need to leave it in the locker room and go home and be a good partner to your girlfriend or good son to your parents. It’s about having more of a balance. I was in a rush to get into a good side and skewed too much away from that balance and neglected some friendships.”
Collier-Dawkins said he would be full of nerves tonight but aware his dream will not be extinguished even if he is overlooked.
“It’s a tough one,” he said.
“I am just hoping for the best and expecting the worst. It’s the best way to go about it. It’s flattering to get clubs talking about you after six games but it’s laid a good foundation whether it goes my way or not. I am close enough that the goal is still alive.
“I have had a couple of clubs on the phone. Carlton has been the main one that has been documented so I will try to stay busy during the day but once the draft starts I will be quite anxious.”

Reactions: 3 users

When is it?​

The 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be held on Wednesday, May 29, from 7pm AEST.

How can I watch?​

The only place to watch the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft is on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App. Gettable co-hosts and draft experts Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge will lead the coverage along with host Nat Edwards and roving reporter Sarah Olle from 7pm AEST on Wednesday, May 29. See every pick as it happens and get instant analysis of what the new signings can mean for the second half of the season.