Merger !! WTF | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Merger !! WTF

pmac21

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 24, 2005
This post may get removed never to be spoken about again but................
Would you support a Melbourne Tigers team from a merger between Melbourne & Richmond ????
Been a Tiger supporter all my life and I think I would. Short term fix I know ??
Thoughts !!
This may be the team if It were runing out this week.
B: Frawley Moore Joel Mcdonald
HB: Scully Rivers Strauss
C: Trengove Cotchin Martin
HF: Davey Post Morton
F: Jurrah Watts Reiwoldt
R: Jamar Deledio Foley
Int: Petterd, Vickery, Tambling, Bruce
Have left most of the older players out !!

pmac21 said:
Would you support a Melbourne Tigers team from a merger between Melbourne & Richmond ????
Been a Tiger supporter all my life and I think I would. Short term fix I know ??
Thoughts !!

Why would you support the death of the Richmond Football Club?

It`s like the people saying that North Melbourne should go to the Gold Coast to "save themselves".
As soon as they go to the Gold Coast,they cease to be North Melbourne.
There`s no difference between being sent to some other part of Australia to become the Gold Coast Kangaroos or the Tasmanian Tigers,merging with a current team or dying a long slow death and then folding completely.

The outcome is exactly the same,your club,in our case the Richmond Football Club would cease to exist.

So no,i wouldn`t support any bastardised/mongrelised version of my club.

No way - would lose all interest in AFL if Richmond ceased to exist.

But 2 shitty teams can make 1 good one (ie. Fitzroy and Brisbane) fairly quickly.

pmac21 said:
Thoughts !!

you are a retired clown............how could you even think such a thing....are you a paid up member???
go through the pain, love the colors, love the club and one day the club will reward you.
Melbourne Tigers is already a registered trademark so you will endorse the Richmond Demons huh??

This post comes from an article in the Hearld Sun today, by Kevin Sheedy
He writes that these 2 clubs are running out of time and if they don't improve in the next couple of years, that the AFl will force a merge.
He also writes that Richmond and Melbourne have made awful mistakes in recruiting not picking up Franklin and Melbourne not picking Natauni.
This is coming from a bloke that has picked Cumberston.
you know he hasn't got a clue when it comes to Richmond, when his top 5 players including "gentleman Moore"
Again for the final time *smile* off SHEEDY, He has nooo idea..

*smile* to anyone who suggests it.

gerard healy suggested this about 16-17 years ago and i have hated him ever since. i will never forget that herald sun article. *smile* gerard healy and kevin sheedy.

*smile* thread, I agree totally.

Any dog who even contemplates this crap is not a true RFC supporter.

As someone else stated *smile*...................now!

Carn' the Tiges!!!!!!!!!!!

Heard lots of replies like this from Kangas fans when they rejected the GC offer from the AFL. Only problem is such platitudes don't pay the bills and don't fill stadiums (as the Kangas are finding out now).

IMO Sheeds is on the money with one matter, and that is this issue of nationalization ain't over. Demetriou will do a victory tour and retire (IMO) after GC17 and GWS are up and rolling, but then the next csar takes over. Then what happens? Every CEO has had expansion teams they can hang their hat on, and I'll be stunned if Vlad's successor will be willing to break the chain.

This gives two options (again only IMO):

1) create 2 new teams - most likely a third perth and a tassie side

OR

2) merge two melbourne teams and create a tassie side

OR

3) relocate a melbourne side to tassie

Reason I am picking tassie is it seems to be getting the most impetus, and their Govt is providing the most off-field support for any team entry.

Assuming this is the case, who are the candidates for relocation or merger?

IMO once again, you would be looking at Melbourne (finances and supporter base) and the Kangas (finances and supporter base).

On the periphery to this I have the dogs (although I think they are a long shot now given their successful off-field rebuild).

As for us, we would not be an option TODAY. Finances while not ideal, are keeping us afloat. Membership is still very strong (considering lack on onfield success), and we are having glimmers of promise from a rebuild.

HOWEVER, if the rebuild goes balls up, membership finally gives up on the eternal promises, and we struggle to match the income streams from other clubs (i.e. we are about to lose a massive chunk of our pokie revenues to the Blues apparently), then we may be in a situation where the AFL starts nudging us in certain directions to serve their ends.

As you can see from all the if's, but's, and maybe's, I see this as a long shot option. However I have no doubt the AFL will become desperate for expansion once more in 5-10 years, and if we stumble, I have absolutely no doubt we will be in the gun from the AFL.

As I have said before, I would support merger or relocation (if done right) only if its a choice between that and folding.

Sheedy's article smacks of a man overlooked for both the Melbourne and Richmond coaching jobs. Ironic that the only coaching job he could find is via the AFL at GWS which imo is the biggest waste of AFL funds ever. If the AFL wanted to spend that type of money, they should have started a team in Tasmania instead. A team in Western Sydney will never, ever be successful especially off field. It will never garner any interest. Sydney people barely support League let alone AFL.

To then suggest that RFC should merge after his career with us is pathetic in the extreme. Bye bye Kevin - don't ever come back - you sad old man.

Ian4 said:
*smile* to anyone who suggests it.

gerard healy suggested this about 16-17 years ago and i have hated him ever since. i will never forget that herald sun article. *smile* gerard healy and kevin sheedy.

LOL. I had to goggle what *smile* meant.
Nice one. Think I might start using it myself now ;D

Sorry I bought it up !! LOL !!
And yes I have been a member for more than 20 years !!