List changes and player requirements for 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List changes and player requirements for 2016

ryan said:
Carlisle and Bennell would be the 2 to target.

Yes both have some baggage but hopefully our club can turn them around - Choco Williams may be a big help

We need another strong tall - we were found out yesterday with only Rance.

Bennell is a risk but is the player we need if we miss Treloar - has plenty of pace, uses the ball well and can kick multiple goals.

We need some upgrades

yep

lburger or kreuzer
Carlisle
Bennell
yarren

would hit the spot

We said no thank you to Garlett because he did not fit the criteria (off field issues) bet we would have loved him at the feet of Ty, Griff and Jack in 2015. He kicked 40 goals for the Dees !! 40 !

So if we have this new found culture, lets roll the dice with Harley Bennell and see what happens.

Wonder post yesterday how attractive Stevie J will be now.

CC TIGER said:
The Duck said we should look at him
Duck also thinks Sam Mitchell is an average player. Carlisle's attitude sucks, he's a prima donna and belongs at Essendon. They play him back because he's possibly the worst kick for goal in the league.

another outside midfielder will allow Martin to spend more time forward
Bennell and Aish would be my choice

Cannot handle another season with Chaplin. I thought that mistake we finally got over them.

b2

B1 and B2 said:
Cannot handle another season with Chaplin. I thought that mistake we finally got over them.

b2

There was certainly one point yesterday in the third quarter where I agreed with you! :'(

B1 and B2 said:

b2

Yeah it stunk of the tigers of old....can't stand Chaplin... Brought in to play on the big fwds... And the bloke is possibly the softest one on one key defender in the league...great as the third man in or chop out loose man...but so was Jason Cloke. I mean that mistake yesterday....imagine if we have lost by under a goal. It was horrible and unforgivable....I'd look at Carlisle for sure. Should've gone hard for Henderson.

Don't rate Carlisle.

Majak Daw has the possibility of jail time in the future, so that must be taken into consideration.

Luenberger would be known as a gun if he played a full season of footy in victoria. West Coast and Gold Coast have a lot of talks battling for ruck positions...

CarnTheTiges said:
Duck also thinks Sam Mitchell is an average player. Carlisle's attitude sucks, he's a prima donna and belongs at Essendon. They play him back because he's possibly the worst kick for goal in the league.

Being our CHB, he wouldn't need to worry about it.

Do you think being at Essendrugs may have had a negative effect on him? I mean they have had players, who can get past the herd mentality of being a part of a footy club, run out of there screaming! Maybe Jake has taken a hit. I don't know him, or anyone who knows him, but there is as much chance of this being correct as the negative comments.

7th is where we will finish after the finals. better than an earlier pick, we get an easier draw

Baloo said:
7th is where we will finish after the finals. better than an earlier pick, we get an easier draw

Ha ha :clap

Good point - I'd forgotten that! (also means two games against Collingwood)

Need several things.

With the reduction in rotations, mids that can rest forward are gold. Bennell adds to that and is class.
Need a player to help with the contested stuff and clearances. If we can get Treloar or Dangerfield that would be awesome, otherwise Redden.
New ruckman. I'd go for Kreuzer.
Pacey player - Yarran fits the bill.

Would like a new CHB but our defense wasn't why we lost yesterday, our midfield was and think the above are more urgently required and doubt we can afford pickwise to trade for Carlisle as well.

Astbury / Griffiths and Conca all up for trade IMO.

Baloo said:

Cool, means sides like melbourne and The cats will have more opportunities to beat us again

We can tinker with the edges but I think a ruckman is almost the number 1 priority.
Maric is struggling now. In 12 months he's going to be a liability. Must be addressed.

Opposition coaches - particularly the Scott brothers - know if you stop Delidio, Cotchin, Ellis you are a very good chance of beating Richmond.

What did Scott do yesterday - exactly that. Add to the fact Edwards just couldn't get into the game because our midfield was beaten and relies on above trio to get ball out to him. Griffiths was so underdone he should not have been on the field. And Conca played like he always plays - gets the ball but his disposal does not advantage the side. e.g. Last quarter, game in the balance, a surge by Martin our of defence - hand balls to Conca, who handballs back to Martin who was in the clear but then for some reason Martin handballs back to Conca who tries a short pass to Houli but misses him by the length of the of the MCG Cricket Pitch. North rebound (I got out of my lounge chair and went for a walk - I knew from that passage of play and the missed free kick by the umpires in the forward pocket that yesterday was not going to be Richmond's day).

Richmond has the playing list to improve on to become a true contender.

We need

a genuine goal sneak - e.g. Yarran, Lennon, etc.
another 2 A grade midfielders - e.g. Trelor, Dangerfield, Corey Ellis, etc.
another 1 A grade tall defender - e.g. Carlisle, Ashbury, etc.
another 1 A grade ruckman - e.g. Kreuser, Leuenberger, etc.

Why?

Because we missed goal opportunities when the ball hit the ground in our forward line - admittedly there were 5 forwards against 6 defenders most of the year.
Because stop Delidio, Cotchin and Ellis and you go a long way to beating Richmond - another gun midfielder would make it too hard for the opposition to stop all our midfield plus have attacking midfielders of their own.
Because Chappy is getting on and is entering the twilight of his career
Because Maric needs a breather and Griffiths or Vickery or Hampson are not the answer.

I rate the year positively as it was a stepping stone to Richmond becoming a true contender for the next few years.

Remember
it took Mark Thompson 7 years to deliver a premiership for Geelong - he started in 2000 and won the flag in 2007, Runners up 2008 and flag 2009
it took Clarkson 4 years to steal a flag but then another 5 years to create a Hawthorn era - that is 9 years after he started coaching Hawthorn

Hardwick is in his 6th year this year - the Richmond era is coming - we are on the doorstep about to open the door- IMO.

Fill up those shortages I outlined above and we will be true contenders..........The one area I have not covered is our salary cap. Do we have the salary cap to fit another 4 or 5 "A" Graders in?

Delistings fo me would be ....Arnott, Gordon, Dea, Mcdoungh, Matt Thomas and depending on trades Lloyd.......free up as much coin as we can

CC TIGER said:
Delistings fo me would be ....Arnott, Gordon, Dea, Mcdoungh, Matt Thomas and depending on trades Lloyd.......free up as much coin as we can

Looks about right CC.
So that would be

Retired:
Newman
Foley
Knights
Petterd

Delisted
Arnott
Gordon
Dea
McDonough