Jumper colour | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jumper colour

Terrible yellow

Tiger Cub
Aug 13, 2023
A recent post commented on the difficulty in reading player numbers on our reverse strip.
I think it can be difficult even on our normal strip & I for one ( & except in the minority) liked the flirtation with the plain black back & yellow numbers.
My question is does anybody actually know why the club went away from our traditional gold to this insipid yellow?
Rumours were: the afl directed it as it was too close to Hawthorn’s colour, it didn’t gell with the team song etc.
I have written to the club with no response.
I for one refuse to wear anything with the “terrible yellow” in it.
Does anyone really know?

The current guernsey design and set up is as shambolic as the RFC in its entirety and its performance in 2024.

Horrendously bad and needs to be given the arse as soon as we end the season.

Reactions: 1 user
I like the brighter yellow and associate it with the start of our dynasty. I also associate the Gold colour with our years of mediocrity.

What I hate is the NIB green logo in our yellow sash. Compare that with the black Jeep days. Make NIB black. Also not fond of the KFC and Latitude bright colours on the back.

Reactions: 9 users
I like the brighter yellow and associate it with the start of our dynasty. I also associate the Gold colour with our years of mediocrity.

What I hate is the NIB green logo in our yellow sash. Compare that with the black Jeep days. Make NIB black. Also not fond of the KFC and Latitude bright colours on the back.
But we won 10 of our flags with the gold.
Let’s hope years of mediocrity don’t now follow with the yellow.

That lemony colour, how it intereacts with the NIB logo and the back fo the jumper are all terrible, granted.

But it still gives Adelaide the heebe geebies so that's not nothing.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The issue is the white number on the yellow back on our new clash jumper. We should revert back to the clash jumper we wore in the 2017 GF.

Reactions: 8 users
I thought we changed to a more yellow yellow when Puma got the jumper contract, which would be back maybe 7 or 8 years.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
I'll give you 1980 but the others I've seen have been in black and white.

1973 is now available in colour, channel 9 coverage, and 1974 was always in colour. Anyway, use your imagination, I remember watching Collingwood v North in black and white, we could generally work out who was who especially given the black or white shorts. Mind you, South Melbourne always looked a bit weird in black shorts.

DS

But we won 10 of our flags with the gold.
Let’s hope years of mediocrity don’t now follow with the yellow.
Aren’t our colours yellow and black; not gold and black? The song certainly says so.

The current strip with the brighter yellow is much better than the old strip with the “gold”. And those jumpers without the sash in the 90s and 2000s were *smile*. That said the clash strip needs the sash removed from the back. Impossible to see the numbers. What a *smile* up by Puma if that is what happened. How the *smile* do you make a jumper for 7 years and then completely change it in the 8th year?

Reactions: 6 users
I thought we changed to a more yellow yellow when Puma got the jumper contract, which would be back maybe 7 or 8 years.

DS
Correct. Pretty sure 2017 was the first year the brighter yellow was introduced.

Aren’t our colours yellow and black; not gold and black? The song certainly says so.

The current strip with the brighter yellow is much better than the old strip with the “gold”. And those jumpers without the sash in the 90s and 2000s were *smile*. That said the clash strip needs the sash removed from the back. Impossible to see the numbers. What a *smile* up by Puma if that is what happened. How the *smile* do you make a jumper for 7 years and then completely change it in the 8th year?

Agree, but I suspect the change was about marketing - need to sell new jumpers so change the design.

DS

Never again for those horrendous 90s no back sash jumpers. No back sash works with the yellow jumpers but not the black.

A recent post commented on the difficulty in reading player numbers on our reverse strip.
I think it can be difficult even on our normal strip & I for one ( & except in the minority) liked the flirtation with the plain black back & yellow numbers.
My question is does anybody actually know why the club went away from our traditional gold to this insipid yellow?
Rumours were: the afl directed it as it was too close to Hawthorn’s colour, it didn’t gell with the team song etc.
I have written to the club with no response.
I for one refuse to wear anything with the “terrible yellow” in it.
Does anyone really know?
The club must have approved before going into production.

The club must have approved before going into production.

yep. was going to post that the strips changed when Puma came on board. At the time people were rapt, saying “great, we’re yellow and black! Not gold and black” …

When first released the 2017 PUMA colours didn't seem right, especially the away strip. At about 5pm, Sept 30th 2017, they were the most beautiful colours known to man.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
yep. was going to post that the strips changed when Puma came on board. At the time people were rapt, saying “great, we’re yellow and black! Not gold and black” …
yep. I can remember lots of posts at the time about how we had morphed over time from yellow and black to gold and black. If I remember correctly the club actually came out and said that it was being done partly as a response to fans complaining the yellow had become gold

Well, we are Tigers I guess. But then if we want to follow real tiger colours, we'd need to follow the Cincinnati Bengals orange, black & white.
1721605695293.png

Reactions: 1 user