Is youth still an excuse?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is youth still an excuse??

thejinx said:
Sorry, you're right... Memory must have been playing up at the old age of 27.

P1$$ weak excuse - Pods can make his debut with the reigning premiers at 28 - what's your problem again? ;D

thejinx said:
What about last week? The age difference between us and Freo was marginal at best.

Was a year and 3 months per player (and almost 14 games per player). That's not a small difference. Think of it this way, in that game, if we had Pavlich and Sandilands and they had Simmonds and Astbury (we have no key forward atm) we probably could have almost won that game. As others have said, when comparing two similar aged sides, the difference isn't in the young brigade, the difference is in the experienced brigade, and those two players make a huge difference to any side.

graystar1 said:
All the pundits and even snowy on the tram all make excuses for our huge losses on youth. Is this still valid?

I think you can't just single out youth as the underlying issue, there are multiple reasons that is making us perform so poorly. The reasons are an accumulation of blunders over the last decade that has had a dramatic effect on the development & attitude of the players and has created a very poor culture at the club, hence why Gale & Co. have instilled a vision. This will take time to evolve, as a matter of fact it will take a minimum of 3 years before we see any sort of genuine transformation at our club, if everything falls into place

We should hope to hell that our young tall brigade of young players (Rance, Thursfield, Post, Vickery, Browne, Astbury, Griffiths, Reiwoldt & even Westhoff) show some signs of continual improvement because I think the talls are just as important if not the key to the success of any side. If this crop of players don't come on then we will never get off first base and our recruiting will always be concentrating on building a nuclues of tall players.

Yes we're bad but I actually think it can be an excuse.

14 new faces at the club was a huge turnover at the end of last year.
Still a massive gap in talent in the 24-28 bracket.
Playing a team as experienced as Geeelong was always going to be a massacre over the weekend.
Just got to keep playing the kids.

It's not the youth, it's the rebuild. we are commited to a rebuild. players like Dea, Astbury, Griffiths, Taylor should make it but may not. players like Martin, Cotchin will without serious injury. thats about all we can hope for.

We have no excuses for being uncompetitive.
Yes, we are young but other teams such as North and Melbourne are young too.

We have a terrible list and poor leadership.

Football after all, is a team game not one of individuality. As yet we don't jell as a team. Even Melb. are now playing as a team. Very hard for a new group of players to have confidence in one another, and to have the respect for other team mates ability until they have played together for a fair amount of time. This will come in time, although with the large number of changes each week, it is even harder to instill team spirit, as opposed to playing as individuals. Surely they all need to learn the skills and weaknesses of one another before a team spirit evolves.

Hope this makes sense.