Is youth still an excuse?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is youth still an excuse??

Djevv said:
At the start of the game they mentioned there was a 3 year average age difference and 50 games. That is a huge gulf. Add to that we have 2 senior players that are >25 and any good: Newman and Cousins. I think this is a fair excuse for poor performance myself.

What about last week? The age difference between us and Freo was marginal at best.

thejinx said:
What about last week? The age difference between us and Freo was marginal at best.

Against Freo at home? I thought we were OK. Anyway what do you call marginal? Also Freo have some class players - Hill, Pavlich and Sandilands (and probably few others I am forgetting).

I agree there is more to is than simply age and experience, we are paying for 10 years of recruiting and administrative mismanagement, but we must be realistic. Play a youth based side and you will get smashed on occasions.

Djevv said:
Against Freo at home? I thought we were OK. Anyway what do you call marginal? Also Freo have some class players - Hill, Pavlich and Sandilands (and probably few others I am forgetting).

I agree there is more to is than simply age and experience, we are paying for 10 years of recruiting and administrative mismanagement, but we must be realistic. Play a youth based side and you will get smashed on occasions.

From memory, our age brackets were spread very similar. We had 2 more guys aged over 30, they had 2 more aged between 26-30, but other than that, our ages and experience were very similar. Wish I had the data here... I remember noticing the similarities when I was reviewing the game, and was surpised at how similar we were when it came to ages, and age spread.

Of course we're going to get smashed, I completely understand that. I just think we're getting smashed for the a lot of reasons unrelated to age and/or inexperience.

im more concerned about our next batch of experienced players like Lids,Tambling,Newman etc...
not so much as a whimper.

cagedtiger said:
After 6 rounds of footy all of of our new 17/18 year old recruits should be seasoned 100 games footballers by now - no excuses.

LMFAO.

Nice one, I wonder how many people have actually read what you wrote :hihi

Its amazing isn't it, panic stations, no no no sack the coach I say, that will do it. (sarcasm is wonderful isn't it)

In answer to the initial question.

Yes youth is an excuse 6 rounds in Graystar.

jamo said:
LMFAO.

Nice one, I wonder how many people have actually read what you wrote :hihi

Its amazing isn't it, panic stations, no no no sack the coach I say, that will do it. (sarcasm is wonderful isn't it)

In answer to the initial question.

Yes youth is an excuse 6 rounds in Graystar.

No-one wants to sack the coach. But we've got a long, dark road ahead of us and things aren't going to magically get better just because our guys get older and more experienced.

Most of our problems at the moment have nothing to do with youth and inexperience.

thejinx said:
No-one wants to sack the coach. But we've got a long, dark road ahead of us and things aren't going to magically get better just because our guys get older and more experienced.

Most of our problems at the moment have nothing to do with youth and inexperience.

We have had a long dark road ahead of us since 2002.

What is the reason then?

I actually think we will be out of that tunnel alot sooner than you think. Only my opinion

jamo said:

What is the reason then?

I actually think we will be out of that tunnel alot sooner than you think. Only my opinion

Good for you yammo for keeping positive but we are so far off the mark that it will be longer, much longer than you may think before we are real contenders again

jamo said:

What is the reason then?

Tend to agree, many of our players that had been around the club for a fews years imo have not been developed properly.

I am hoping throughout the year they begin to catch up and have shown signs of being competivity. Next few weeks should be interesting in the results.

jamo said:
What is the reason then?

Laziness and not knowing what hard work really is.

Also our collective attitude. We don't seem to have the most competitive guys at the club. They're all too happy to pat each other on the back and high five each other when things are going to sh!t. I know a lot of people here are a fan of the positive reinforcement philosophy, and that works to a degree, but you look at Geelong a few years ago before they become a top line club and how that infamous meeting they had with each other changed their fortunes. They decided to draw a line in the sand and no longer accept mediocrity from each other and were straight down the line about each others deficiencies etc. Now look at where they are.

We just don't seem to be like that, and never have been. The guys pat each other on the back when they make a crucial error, instead of demanding more from each other.

As I said, a lot of people like the positive reinforcement stuff, but I think it's been a major problem for us, particularly since Terry Wallace made a big deal of it.

jamo said:

Why? Because we're playing young guys? Playing young guys is only part of the solution. How many youngsters have come and gone at this club over the past 10 years. Too many to count. What's stopping the current group of youngsters from ending up the same way?

Playing youth isn't a magical answer. It's only part of the solution.

IMO, we need to be tough, unrelenting, chase hard, tackle hard, run hard when we have the ball, support each other, sheppard, smother, crash packs, and be more demanding of each other to become better players and a better team.

Youth certainly is a problem, but it's also used to often as an excuse. Poor players were all young at one stage. Players don't automatically become better with age.

tigers80 said:
im more concerned about our next batch of experienced players like Lids,Tambling,Newman etc...
not so much as a whimper.

Lids topped the uncontested possession today and 4th on effective kicks. Newman topped effective kicks. Yes this includes Geelong players.

Itwas clear that we weren't going to win today but a lack of effort and intensity just meant what was probably
going to be a ten goal loss became an 18 goal loss.
Youth is a good reason to be losing but not an excuse to give a gutless effort. Contributing to
bad intensity was a poor effort from players who are clearly at the cross roads.

thejinx said:
Last week I was looking at the age differences between Freo and Richmond, and the amount of players in each age bracket. There were extremely similar (I believe they had 2 more players in the 26-30 group which was the biggest discrepancy), so youth certainly couldn't have been used as an excuse last week.

ummm. no.
according to the H-Sin the age brackets went like this:
30+: freo- 0 tigers 2
25-29: freo- 10 tigers 3
20-24: freo- 8 tigers 12
<20: freo 4 tigers 5.

thats a big diff in the 25-29 bracket. the games spread is similar but they bracket games 1-100 together. a first game player is a lot different to a 90 game player.
they had an average age of of 24.18 and 77 games. we had 22.96 age and 62 games, about a year difference.

Mr Richmond said:
the differnce between north and us IMO is the experience players that support the youth, our experienced players as a whole are shizenhousen!

Agree Mr Richmond Also looking at norths [players they are alot bigger as well (skinny flankers) we have

thejinx said:
Laziness and not knowing what hard work really is.

Also our collective attitude. We don't seem to have the most competitive guys at the club. They're all too happy to pat each other on the back and high five each other when things are going to sh!t. I know a lot of people here are a fan of the positive reinforcement philosophy, and that works to a degree, but you look at Geelong a few years ago before they become a top line club and how that infamous meeting they had with each other changed their fortunes. They decided to draw a line in the sand and no longer accept mediocrity from each other and were straight down the line about each others deficiencies etc. Now look at where they are.

If memory serves me correctly jinx, the cats played finals two years in a row and missed a GF only because of five minutes of brilliance from Nick bloody Davis before they collapsed in a heap for all of one season. They had the talent just reaching the right maturity and the right coach and game plan.
They only lacked the few home truths rammed exactly where needed to become the champion side they've proven themselves to be.
I'm not a huge fan of overdosing on positive reinforcement but when the boys are going out pretty much knowing they're going to get their arses kicked each week. I see no harm in them taking some small enjoyment out of the times they get things right and backing their teammates on gameday when things go horribly wrong.

TigerForce said:
Nason and Martin seem to be definites so far. I'm liking the way Nason roves and passes.

I agree TF. I think I might add Nahas to that small list. Shows plenty and gives it a red hot go. Tackles well too.

cagedtiger said:
Lids topped the uncontested possession today and 4th on effective kicks. Newman topped effective kicks. Yes this includes Geelong players.

Newman is the master of the 20m switch in the D50 which ends up being pointless.

Cant remember the last time he had an effective Inside 50.

IrockZ said:
Newman is the master of the 20m switch in the D50 which ends up being pointless.

Cant remember the last time he had an effective Inside 50.

Yes pointless - he should be tackled and give up the ball instead. He is one of the more accurate kicks in the side. He has had plenty of accurate kicks in the F50.

Brodders17 said:
ummm. no.
according to the H-Sin the age brackets went like this:
30+: freo- 0 tigers 2
25-29: freo- 10 tigers 3
20-24: freo- 8 tigers 12
<20: freo 4 tigers 5.

Sorry, you're right... Memory must have been playing up at the old age of 27.