Improving our list | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Improving our list

Coughlan24 said:
Four rucks on the free agents list Kreuzer, Leuenberger, Jamar & Simpson from Geelong, Simpson 26 and 206cm but too injury prone for my liking, Kreuzer the Scum have their hooks into which leaves Leuenberger who the Swans are floating about, Jamar too old would probably retire anyway. Not a lot out there that have experience, Stefan Martin was rumoured but looks like he'll re-sign with the Lions now.
Collingwood have gone cold on Kreuzer because of foot issues

Panthera Tigris said:
I said in another thread. Our rucks, while consistent and workmanlike (in the mould of 1980s ruckmen), get exposed against the athletic machines of the modern game.

That said, out of left field, any thoughts on Majak Daw? He seems out of favour behind Goldstein, Brown, Petrie and co as big men mainstays in the North line up. So you'd think getting regular firsts footy will be a challenge unless one of these blokes goes down.

Would it be worth trying to get a trade done for him? Would North want to trade him? Do people think he has much upside, or is he not quite up to AFL standard consistently enough? You'd think he wouldn't be on massive money. I know a lot of followers on here are sick of 'moneyball' pick ups. But Daw might be worth a look? Certainly has athleticism in spades!

NO

Insider tells me that Daw is happy to be an AFL footballer and not mad about football.

Panthera Tigris said:
I said in another thread. Our rucks, while consistent and workmanlike (in the mould of 1980s ruckmen), get exposed against the athletic machines of the modern game.

That said, out of left field, any thoughts on Majak Daw? He seems out of favour behind Goldstein, Brown, Petrie and co as big men mainstays in the North line up. So you'd think getting regular firsts footy will be a challenge unless one of these blokes goes down.

Would it be worth trying to get a trade done for him? Would North want to trade him? Do people think he has much upside, or is he not quite up to AFL standard consistently enough? You'd think he wouldn't be on massive money. I know a lot of followers on here are sick of 'moneyball' pick ups. But Daw might be worth a look? Certainly has athleticism in spades!
I wouldn't consider Daw. He has the athleticism and he can mark the ball and kick it, but he's only 195, which is small for a modern day ruck man and despite how long he's been playing he still can't read the play. Look at the way he faded out of the game in the second half against us.

$600k floated about for Kreuzer i wouldn't offer more than 350-400k that's paying him for the talent he used to be before injury, he's only played half a season in 3 years the Dogs have gone cold and if it's spot on Collingwood have he;s not worth a risk at that kind of coin.

Coughlan24 said:
$600k floated about for Kreuzer i wouldn't offer more than 350-400k that's paying him for the talent he used to be before injury, he's only played half a season in 3 years the Dogs have gone cold and if it's spot on Collingwood have he;s not worth a risk at that kind of coin.
You won't get him for that, and fair enough he's got to look after himself, but I'd be worried that he may turn into another Steve O'Dwyer.

Old strawbs back in the day where it was easy to get no.1 on your back. I'm all for trading or acquiring a ruck but need to not be silly about it if we go to the draft and get the best available ruckman with our first pick you've got 3 or 4 years development ahead and the window may be shut by then.

Honestly the player managers are going to have an absolute ball dealing with Richmond at present, we'll throw ridiculous money and deals at anything the battered state of mind we're in.

BrisTiger24 said:
We got killed in the contested stuff. Has happened a lot during the course of the year. Some days we just didn't bring it (unlike Hawks, Freo, Swans 2nd half).

What are our options here?

McDonough has good contested numbers in the VFL. Who else? Cellis is an inside player but I like his skills on the outside. Not much else left, Menadue, Drummond, Lennon, Gordon, George....they are all outside players.

Wonder if we can turn LLoyd into a midfielder? He is great one-on-one, clean in tight.

Clearly the focus needs to be on contested ball winners as we seem to have enough outsiders in development.
We already have a tough inside mid who would have been handy in yesterday's game...Thomas. This would have allowed Cotchin and Lids to play more creative outside roles.
Leuenberger
Carlisle
Johnston
Bennell (if can't get Treloar)

Yep after the 3rd elimination finals loss in a row I'm praying we don't go into panic buying mode if our first couple of deals go pear shaped and recruit some d grade scrubs on b grade money, the last team to lose 3 elims in a row were the Eagles in 02,03 & 04 and we know what they did in 05 & 06. Just need to be measured and not go stupid hardly RFC traits though.

CarnTheTiges said:
I wouldn't consider Daw. He has the athleticism and he can mark the ball and kick it, but he's only 195, which is small for a modern day ruck man and despite how long he's been playing he still can't read the play. Look at the way he faded out of the game in the second half against us.
Fair enough, I haven't watched enough of him to know. Was more out of curiosity, given that North don't have a shortage of big men, whether it was just a case of not enough opportunity.

I heard he only has one year left on his contract. Sounds like he might struggle for a renewal.

I suppose 195cm makes him pretty much a fwd/ruck as opposed to a ruck.

CarnTheTiges said:
Honestly the player managers are going to have an absolute ball dealing with Richmond at present, we'll throw ridiculous money and deals at anything the battered state of mind we're in.
I dont thinnk Dan Richardson is that kind of guy..

Coughlan24 said:
Yep after the 3rd elimination finals loss in a row I'm praying we don't go into panic buying mode if our first couple of deals go pear shaped and recruit some d grade scrubs on b grade money, the last team to lose 3 elims in a row were the Eagles in 02,03 & 04 and we know what they did in 05 & 06. Just need to be measured and not go stupid hardly RFC traits though.
Jake Niall wrote an article this past weekend saying that we were actually. Hopefully the recruiting staff don't press the panic button that has been slapped repeatedly here.

Coughlan24 said:

They reckon Kreuzer is on $500,000 now.

the most pressing need IMO ->

1. key defender - chaplin is woeful
2. mid - grigg is shytehouse

then i would say the next most important is a ruck

no doubt we are in need of pace and other things too

can anybody see Morris reclaiming a spot in our best 22 . If not what is his role over the next two years ?