Improving our list | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Improving our list

keepa lids onit

Medal number 1, 2 & 3
May 13, 2005
What do we need to improve our list and lift us to a finals win, and more importantly a premiership. Our time is now, our window is open, we gotta strike i the next 2-3 years. So what do we need to lift us there?
For mine;
Gotta goet Carlisle in. We lack a CHB and he will fill the void beautifully. Chaplin is done, and a ready made key posi back is invaluable. He's available. lure him with a long term contract, don't need to pay huge dollars. And he's still young so get him in. ( astbury in turn can then be traded for a pick back)
Bennell as a dynamic fwd/ mid would be great also. If he keeps his off field issues on track, his on field is electric and can provide the X factor we need.
Throw huge cash at a gun mid. Danger is avail, give him plenty. Treloar also, at a slightly lower rate. Omeara as third option, potential gun.
Yarran for the cheap, ( 3 rd rounder and a swap of picks/players only) stuff carlscum and their 2nd/1st pick requests.
We gotta go for quality now. Not mid range depth players

keepa lids onit said:
What do we need to improve our list and lift us to a finals win, and more importantly a premiership. Our time is now, our window is open, we gotta strike i the next 2-3 years. So what do we need to lift us there?
For mine;
Gotta goet Carlisle in. We lack a CHB and he will fill the void beautifully. Chaplin is done, and a ready made key posi back is invaluable. He's available. lure him with a long term contract, don't need to pay huge dollars. And he's still young so get him in. ( astbury in turn can then be traded for a pick back)
Bennell as a dynamic fwd/ mid would be great also. If he keeps his off field issues on track, his on field is electric and can provide the X factor we need.
Throw huge cash at a gun mid. Danger is avail, give him plenty. Treloar also, at a slightly lower rate. Omeara as third option, potential gun.
Yarran for the cheap, ( 3 rd rounder and a swap of picks/players only) stuff carlscum and their 2nd/1st pick requests.
We gotta go for quality now. Not mid range depth players

Big gun players don't want to come to Richmond

tiges said:
Big gun players don't want to come to Richmond
PAy them the cash from our so called war chest and they will come. Treloar favoured us but in the end wobbles offered more cash at a simar year. U gotta pay overs to get gun players. Time is now, stuff this pay structure talk. Us supporters want a premiership not equality !!!!!!!!

Realistically we will probaby struggle to get more than one quality player
So improvement from within will be the go..

If you take the view we are 4-6 quality players from having a side good enough to win a flag thats up to 5 of the below we need to step up..(not taking into account draftee from this year and players like arnot being delisted))

C Ellis 19
K Mac 21
McBean 21
Lennon 20
McDonough 21
Menadue 19
Drummond 20
Butler 19
McKenzie 19
Elton 22
Arnot 22
Caatanza 19
Short 19
Soldo 19

Seems to be maybe a little more reason to be optimistic than in previous seasons but who knows , especially if Lennon leaves.

spook said:
Leuenberger/Lycett
Ellis-Yolman/Redden/Townsend
Yarran/Bennell
We need matchwinners. Bennell is the only one in that list that fits the bill.

evo said:
We need matchwinners. Bennell is the only one in that list that fits the bill.
I'm all for matchwinners. How many do you think we can get in one off-season, evo? One would be nice.

spook said:
I'm all for matchwinners. How many do you think we can get in one off-season, evo? One would be nice.
I think we are better off focussing on getting just one really good player rather than 3 or 4 somewhat mediocre ones.

Any coincidence 4 of the final 6 have the best 4 ruckmen in the game (Goldstein, Jacobs, Nicnat and Sandilands)? Love Ivan but he cannot compete against the best consistently. Need a ruckman.

We got killed in the contested stuff. Has happened a lot during the course of the year. Some days we just didn't bring it (unlike Hawks, Freo, Swans 2nd half).

What are our options here?

McDonough has good contested numbers in the VFL. Who else? Cellis is an inside player but I like his skills on the outside. Not much else left, Menadue, Drummond, Lennon, Gordon, George....they are all outside players.

Wonder if we can turn LLoyd into a midfielder? He is great one-on-one, clean in tight.

Clearly the focus needs to be on contested ball winners as we seem to have enough outsiders in development.

It's the Richmond way. Will be too conservative to go out and grab players like Treloar, Dangerfield, Kreuzer and the like. Happy to dish out big money and long contracts to duds already on the list but when it comes to bringing in a big name that will make a difference, they don't have the balls.

Carlisle is an absolute MUST but we will end up grabbing the scrap heap of other clubs and make it out like we have targeted for our needs while Collingwood will be picking up the likes of Treloar and Kreuzer and pass us on the way to being closer to winning a flag. If the hierarchy actually believe that we have the players from within to win us a flag they are bloody dreaming.

The best thing they could do is tap Dimma on the shoulders and say thanks for everything but we need someone that can actually take the next step. Instead we will hang on to Dimma and do nothing for another 2-3 years by which time we will have another list inbalance and start again.

If i see them offer Chris Knights a contract extension i will personally drive a *smile* truck to Punt Road!!!!

Cotch - Martin - Deledio - dont win finals - we need better A grade mids

Time to get in A grade mids that win finals - no way Cotch Lids and Martin should complain if we pay overs for A grade mids that can win finals....in fact they should contribute from their salary.

Re: Cotch - Martin - Deledio - dont win finals - we need better A grade mids

tigertime2 said:
Time to get in A grade mids that win finals - no way Cotch Lids and Martin should complain if we pay overs for A grade mids that can win finals....in fact they should contribute from their salary.
Exactly if anyones not happy they can leave 3 years in a row says something

Throw as much money as required at one of Dangerfield or Treloar.

We need guns; not C grade moneyball losers.

Ridley said:
Throw as much money as required at one of Dangerfield or Treloar.

We need guns; not C grade moneyball losers.
Look forward to getting your son a Jack Watts Richmond guernsey. It should be in the bargain bin at the Tiger Den by about the middle of May.

Meanwhile Dangerfield will be winning Brownlows at the Cattery and Treloar at the Skunks.

I hope that is the case, this "war chest" lets use it.

Hope - Blair and Richardson -" Just wait till trade time and what we have been able to get to Richmond, the faithful will go nuts"
Reality - Blair and Richardson - " What do you think, dunno, what do you think.. what about Steve J, he can win us a final yes?? "