Henderson out of Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Henderson out of Carlton

Baloo said:
International soccer style. No. The rich clubs win, the others are development or feeder clubs. Unless we're one of the rich ones of ourse then yeah

Yeah understood

But it puts money in the pockets of clubs who might need it.
As I said, it's not a case of give us Fyfe for $5 mill.
It's something to get a trade over the line.

The AFL could veto a deal.

Clubs like Collingwood would be more often paying
and poorer clubs would be recieving it.
If they want equalisation, that's it there.

High performance managers, coaches, recruiters, ice baths, alter G treadmills all cost money.
Premierships are not just won on the footy field.

jb03 said:
Carlton seemed to get off lightly considering the shellacking they copped from the bottom team - or does no one care?

My question is
Are Carlscum trying to be competitive?

craig said:
Interesting list of names starting to develop for the trade period this year.

P Dangerfield

J Carlisle

L Henderson

J Aish

A Treloar

M Scharenberg

C Yarran

S Motop

M Luenberger

S Martin

C Dixon

S Day

S Selwood

L Weller

Add Brian Lake to that list craigo. I heard him say that if his contract isn't renewed, he'll put himself on the market again. Hopefully not us.

Rancey18 said:
And people complain about players not announcing their intentions to leave mid-season. Why would they when they would then be told that they wont be played again for the rest of the season?

Henderson's probably over the moon to hear this. Imagine playing another 3 games for that rabble.

TigerForce said:
Add Brian Lake to that list craigo. I heard him say that if his contract isn't renewed, he'll put himself on the market again. Hopefully not us.

North bound. They are 1 aging defender away from the Grand Final

DirtyDogTiger said:
Do you think a club should be able to use $$$s to get a deal over the line.
I know that a club in debt wouldnt say no.

We've sold home games for $$$$s that have cost us wins but it helped our bottom line.

Go back 5 years: we are in debt, on the bottom of the ladder, and the premiership team offers us their first rounder for brad ottens. It's pick 16. It's obviously not enough.

but say it's Collingwood. Money is not an issue.
They give us a million bucks and the pick 16.
Suddenly it's a done deal.

I think we should let $$$s be a part of a deal. Not the whole deal, but the necessary sweetener, when a deal can't otherwise get done.

It already happens. The Bulldogs are paying part of Ryan Griffen's salary as part of the Boyd deal. The payment is taken out of the Bulldogs salary cap, so in essence GWS have a larger salary cap, and the Bulldogs have less to spend on Bulldogs players.

In theory, clubs wanting to commence a re-build, could trade out contracted players and pay part of the salary, in exchange for high draft picks, who won't behighly paid yet, effectively buying draft picks with cap space.

Carlton's response comes purely from a tanking angle. If they were playing for finals, there is no chance they would put him out to pasture. But, if they were playing for finals, perhaps he wouldn't want to leave?

BrisTiger24 said:
Carlton's response comes purely from a tanking angle. If they were playing for finals, there is no chance they would put him out to pasture. But, if they were playing for finals, perhaps he wouldn't want to leave?

As was noted earlier in the thread, injury is the primary concern. Tanking is a bonus.

Born_a_Tiger78 said:
It already happens. The Bulldogs are paying part of Ryan Griffen's salary as part of the Boyd deal. The payment is taken out of the Bulldogs salary cap, so in essence GWS have a larger salary cap, and the Bulldogs have less to spend on Bulldogs players.

In theory, clubs wanting to commence a re-build, could trade out contracted players and pay part of the salary, in exchange for high draft picks, who won't behighly paid yet, effectively buying draft picks with cap space.

Hmm. Smart post.

A over rated sook no place for him at Tigerland. Whingeing lot at Arden St will be sniffing around for another bargain.

Heard on the news that he's not going to be paid for the next 3 weeks. How can Carlton tell him where go cos he mentions being traded then not pay him? Sounds like he made a good decision. What a rabble. :D

rosy23 said:
Heard on the news that he's not going to be paid for the next 3 weeks. How can Carlton tell him where go cos he mentions being traded then not pay him? Sounds like he made a good decision. What a rabble. :D
That'd be interesting. Kicked him out coz he was honest n asked for a trade, then refuse to pay him the rest of his contract. AFLPA might take a seriously dim view of actions like that if true. Simple cure to that type of problem would be players demanding total free agency, contracts up then free to go where they please when they please, no draft, no trade.
Would instantly end clubs ownership n manipulation of players, NRL have never had a problem with players shifting clubs when their contracts end. Can't see why it is such a *smile* issue for AFL clubs.

OqRelsRs81To0Z4ndy42ZIlOsEsTvXkkZIlXMnCssm0=w662-h151-no

Gee richmond are boring these days. I almost miss being a rabble bottom team with some controversy in the news every other week

Well, apparently Yarren to us is a done deal, so don't expect him to play for the rest of the year either :hihi

TigerMasochist said:
That'd be interesting. Kicked him out coz he was honest n asked for a trade, then refuse to pay him the rest of his contract. AFLPA might take a seriously dim view of actions like that if true.

Yeah it wouldn't be legal.

TigerForce said:

We don't do silly things like that any more. Going on 34, would find it tough to get a gig at a club anywhere near a flag.

As for Henderson - can play, looking for his third club already at 25yo. Maybe suggests something about his level of commitment. Be wary.

Tigerflag2008 said:
Gee richmond are boring these days. I almost miss being a rabble bottom team with some controversy in the news every other week
Won't be long and it will get fairly controversial round here