Griffiths...how did he go? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Griffiths...how did he go?

handled the ball cleanly in wet conditions, took a nice grab, got himself in front a number of times, I reckon would have taken 1 or 2 more in drier conditions...showed enoogh to me to suggest he has talent..looking forward to seeing him at etihad

alot to like, but was only a half of footy. Took that very nice grab, also should have got a free kick from standing under a hospital kick at him, nearly took that mark to!

I have heard alot abt his long kicking, but hopefully he can hit a target 20m away aswell!

For a first gamer who hasn't spent a lot of time in the Coburg firsts, whose size would indicate Saturday's conditions were not suited to him at all, I was very impressed. Not only is in big and imposing but quite a few times he was at the bottom of packs getting the ball out.

Brilliant wet weather contested grab. Even better when you consider it was his very first outing. The kid backs himself and his abilities.

Mappa said:
This guy for a 200cm first gamer looked wonderful. Did all the little things, forget the mark, he crashed packs, shepherded for smaller players and did all the team things.

He will be a fantastic contributor for many years to come. Go Griffo !!!

I thought the same too.

Backed up his cameo appearances for Coburg with the same.

What he does have is presence and offers a very big target. Him and Jack appeared to not once, get in each others way which bodes very well for the way the 2 of them can and will work together.

And the best thing.. he won't be wearing number 8, he will make whatever number he wears his own.

Griff, Jack and David A. will form a pretty handy tall mobile group of forwards.
What we need is to get Mitch M up to scratch and along with Nason and Nahas it is the makings of a fwd line that can win games.

I'm not too excited yet but I can sense I may be in a couple of years.

The other think that impressed was his speed. Saw him chase on the corner of the screen & he is pretty quick over the turf for a big boy. Was just a glimpse but yesssssssss.........do like what I briefly saw. If he can get his body right I think we just may have a serious winner here.

poppa x said:
Griff, Jack and David A. will form a pretty handy tall mobile group of forwards.
What we need is to get Mitch M up to scratch and along with Nason and Nahas it is the makings of a fwd line that can win games.

I'm not too excited yet but I can sense I may be in a couple of years.

You could potentially add Taylor to the list provided that he (a) avoids jail, (b) can build himself up (bulk and fitness) and (c) find consistancy in his game.

Just picture in another 4-5 years time having one of the competitions best midfields streaming forward towards one of the more potent forward lines there has been for a long, long time. :pooh Pitty about the defence.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Looked very talented, but at TAC, Vfl and now Afl hasn't been able to play out a game yet

He got a corkie..this is a bit different to popping his shoulder again.

I thought he was quite good despite the conditions.

several posters mentioned his clean hands and i'd like to put that point in a bit more perspective. if you haven't seen the game it was treacherously wet and almost impossible to handle the soapy pill. players regularly dropped simple chest marks because of this and YET this bloke didn't fumble once. i was up out of my chair, so clean below the knees it wasn't funny ...in dry conditions...let alone the wet. almost cotchinesque for crispness of handling the ball. it's only 2 qtrs of footy but he had me licking my lip coz we know he ticks alot of other boxes.

Well we get to see how Griff performs in the dry this week. Will be a challenge against a highly skilled Saints team. Any experience is good experience. Let's hope he puts in an honest performance.

rensman said:
several posters mentioned his clean hands and i'd like to put that point in a bit more perspective. if you haven't seen the game it was treacherously wet and almost impossible to handle the soapy pill. players regularly dropped simple chest marks because of this and YET this bloke didn't fumble once.
Pretty sure he dropped a chest mark in the first 5 minutes of the game :headscratch

Like your enthusiasm Rainman but think you might be slightly overselling it.

Yes, he did spill the chest mark. For mine should have taken it. Certianly could have got a free as Chad Cornes ran straight at him front on wihout looking at the ball & contacted him as he was grabbing at it a second time. That was the only time he didn't take the ball cleanly. For a big unit - I was quite impressed with his ability to pick the ball up cleanly & his disposal looks good. Sure, it's early days & we get excited easily these days but I expect you may see a fair bit more tomorrow night when conditions are more suitable.

Elmer said:
Pretty sure he dropped a chest mark in the first 5 minutes of the game :headscratch

Like your enthusiasm Rainman but think you might be slightly overselling it.
only very slightly . u r right he fumbled that one but as another poster mentioned he was infringed in that instance. I stand by my comments

rensman said:
only very slightly . u r right he fumbled that one but as another poster mentioned he was infringed in that instance. I stand by my comments
fair enough to stand by your comments. But he dropped the mark prior to contact and as jimbob said he should have taken it. The Cornes contact was post the original fumble. Still he looks a decent from the very little seniors football we have seen thus far.