Grand Final location | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final location

tigersnake said:
Either I'm not being clear or your not reading my posts. The long term contract is dumb, I'm not saying move it this year, I'm saying the fact 2 WA teams might play a GF in Melbourne exposes the stupidity of the AFL.

'Just so competing teams can be closer to home'? are you kidding me? This is Perth we're talking about, Perth! Have you ever driven to Perth? Flown there? I have. it ain't Geelong, it ain't even Adalaide. Imagine if the situation was reversed and we had to travel to Perth to Play Carlton on a GF?

Here is the thing: It won't make any difference to me if a WC/ Freo GF is played in Perth, I'll be watching on TV. But How much difference will it make to Freo and WC fans who have supported their team and bought memberships and Merch etc? Only well-off fans can afford a return airfare and hotel in Melbourne, days off work etc.

The funny thing about your post is that freo and eagles supporters will be more likely to get a ticket to the game if it remained at the G

tigersnake said:
They couldn't change it this year no. But they change venues at a weeks notice based on game results all the time in finals. In future if people knew that 2 teams from the same city would result in a venue change to that city, (it would be pretty rare), fans would base their plans on that.

I'm a traditionalist. But this particular tradition is a VFL one IMO, its the AFL now and has been for a whie, all sorts of traditions have died. (remember swapping guernseys after the GF?, I loved that). What annoys me is the hypocrisy, the AFL gets all high and mighty on which side deserves a home ground advantage and all that, but have a blind spot on this. Its hypocritical, its profiteering, and its plain dumb. Make both teams and both sets of fans travel 4,000km? For what? A Victorian tradition? An iron clad contract with the MCC? Who negotiated these deals anyway? It was negotiated in the mid 00s I think, the AFL was well underway. Wouldn't you reckon they'd stick in a clause that it could be moved if two teams from another city made the GF? Common sense? forget it.

The original deal was a long term deal from the VFL days, and included at least one final being played at the MCG each week of the finals. The deal was renegotiated in the 00s after Brisbane I think had to host a home final at the MCG. The new deal sees at least one final being played at the MCG when Victorian teams are hosting the match, but if the interstate teams have home finals in weeks 1-3, they can all be played interstate, but the grand final is played at the MCG. It is a fairly ironclad agreement, originally stemming from the VFL and the MCC and won't be changing anytime soon.

Jeepers poor old Snakey copping a bashing on this thread. Considering on GF day i am a corporate MCC member backslapper unfortunately i can't lend support.

jb03 said:
Jeepers poor old Snakey copping a bashing on this thread. Considering on GF day i am a corporate MCC member backslapper unfortunately i can't lend support.

Fair enough, I have been in a similar position on occassion. If you don't drink the free beer, rum and cokes and steak sandwiches, someone else will.

bandoftigers said:
The original deal was a long term deal from the VFL days, and included at least one final being played at the MCG each week of the finals. The deal was renegotiated in the 00s after Brisbane I think had to host a home final at the MCG. The new deal sees at least one final being played at the MCG when Victorian teams are hosting the match, but if the interstate teams have home finals in weeks 1-3, they can all be played interstate, but the grand final is played at the MCG. It is a fairly ironclad agreement, originally stemming from the VFL and the MCC and won't be changing anytime soon.
And that's exactly as it should be - for ever and ever amen.

tigersnake said:
the religeous dogma vibe is very apt here
Hey don't start me on that or I'll regurgitate my anti-AFL diatribe about playing footy on Good Friday (which I desperately want to see in 2016)!!!!

If the GF was ever moved from the G I think I'd give up on the sport.

What next the Melbourne Cup in Dubai ?

axlefoley said:
Did you say tradition? Anything after the Captain Cook landing has no tradition. >:D

only by comparison with what had happened before.

jb03 said:

i had you pegged as a corporate MCC member backslapper every day of the year.