Grand Final location | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final location

tigersnake said:
Unless its 2 big Vic clubs, it's 40 or 50K corporate back slappers. What about the WC and Freo fans? Its already an unfair advantage for Vic clubs, especially us whose home is at the G, I'll take it don't worry. But when its 2 Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, souther QLD teams, ? Ridiculous. Wouldn't happen often and it wouldn't wreck tradition.

So using your logic..............
Play the game in WA and there'll be 40k corporate back slappers;
And 5k of true supporters.

The game is not about fans who go to the footy. Hasn't been for a long time.

AFL don't care who's fans are missing out. As long as the Suits, MCC and AFL members are happy the rest of us can garn!

tigersnake said:
A WC - Freo GF is a real possibility. Gill Mc say he'd love to see all the Sandgropers migrating across the nullabor. A nude emperor? Having it at the G is stupid. Likewise a Sydney/ GWS, a Bris/ Suns or Port/ Adelaide GF could happen in the future. A national comp? Imagine if we had to go to Perth to play Collingwood in a GF? They sign these binding contracts with stadiums apparently with zero eye on the future. Get with it AFL.

There is always someone who wants to resurrect this red herring....

Why did anyone bite???

National Comp has got nothing to do with it!!!

Do they move the US Open from Augusta?

The US Open from Flushing Meadow?

The French Open from Roland Garros?

Could go on and on.

Nothing to see here (except chips on shoulders)

Sir said:
There is always someone who wants to resurrect this red herring....

Why did anyone bite???

National Comp has got nothing to do with it!!!

Do they move the US Open from Augusta?

The US Open from Flushing Meadow?

The French Open from Roland Garros?

Could go on and on.

Nothing to see here (except chips on shoulders)

All these points have already been addressed if you read the thread.

tigersnake said:
A WC - Freo GF is a real possibility. ...... Having it at the G is stupid. .....

How would you see it being a viable option to play that in Perth? They'll only know which teams are playing the week before. Bookings have been made long ago, people have arranged travel and tickets and parties and breakfasts and parades etc long ago knowing the Granny will be in Melbourne. The opposite scenario could occur and a GF arranged interstate could end up with teams from elsewhere playing in it. Can't see how what you want could be organised. Long live the GF in Melbourne. It's a tradition I'd hate to see broken.

rosy23 said:
How would you see it being a viable option to play that in Perth? They'll only know which teams are playing the week before. Bookings have been made long ago, people have arranged travel and tickets and parties and breakfasts and parades etc long ago knowing the Granny will be in Melbourne. The opposite scenario could occur and a GF arranged interstate could end up with teams from elsewhere playing in it. Can't see how what you want could be organised. Long live the GF in Melbourne. It's a tradition I'd hate to see broken.

They couldn't change it this year no. But they change venues at a weeks notice based on game results all the time in finals. In future if people knew that 2 teams from the same city would result in a venue change to that city, (it would be pretty rare), fans would base their plans on that.

I'm a traditionalist. But this particular tradition is a VFL one IMO, its the AFL now and has been for a whie, all sorts of traditions have died. (remember swapping guernseys after the GF?, I loved that). What annoys me is the hypocrisy, the AFL gets all high and mighty on which side deserves a home ground advantage and all that, but have a blind spot on this. Its hypocritical, its profiteering, and its plain dumb. Make both teams and both sets of fans travel 4,000km? For what? A Victorian tradition? An iron clad contract with the MCC? Who negotiated these deals anyway? It was negotiated in the mid 00s I think, the AFL was well underway. Wouldn't you reckon they'd stick in a clause that it could be moved if two teams from another city made the GF? Common sense? forget it.

tigersnake said:
bloody oath its legit. 2 perth teams playing a GF in Melbourne, is that legit?

Play the biggest game of the year in the biggest stadium you have that's also the spiritual home of our game.

So you think its realistic to suggest that the AFL should break a long term contract with its biggest and most profitable stadium, to hold it in a stadium that has an entirely inappropriate capacity 3 weeks out from the big day when everything has just about been booked... just so the competing teams can be closer to home?

Good call.

tigersnake said:
I'm a traditionalist. But this particular tradition is a VFL one IMO, its the AFL now and has been for a whie, all sorts of traditions have died. ........

It's funny you infer the Grand Final at the G isn't an AFL tradition after decades of it happening considering your comments about Goodes' "traditional war dance" and your "traditional family traditional final round north melbourne game barbie starting that week. Seems tradition has a diferent meaning depending on the agenda. :hihi

You could make a call that the Grand Final Parade is held in their home town, but not the game

Haven't read the thread so someone may have already answered this question, its at the MCG, has been for years.
Hope that helps.

rosy23 said:
It's funny you infer the Grand Final at the G isn't an AFL tradition after decades of it happening considering your comments about Goodes' "traditional war dance" and your "traditional family traditional final round north melbourne game barbie starting that week. Seems tradition has a diferent meaning depending on the agenda. :hihi

Its all about context rosy.

Ian4 said:
So you think its realistic to suggest that the AFL should break a long term contract with its biggest and most profitable stadium, to hold it in a stadium that has an entirely inappropriate capacity 3 weeks out from the big day when everything has just about been booked... just so the competing teams can be closer to home?

Good call.

Either I'm not being clear or your not reading my posts. The long term contract is dumb, I'm not saying move it this year, I'm saying the fact 2 WA teams might play a GF in Melbourne exposes the stupidity of the AFL.

'Just so competing teams can be closer to home'? are you kidding me? This is Perth we're talking about, Perth! Have you ever driven to Perth? Flown there? I have. it ain't Geelong, it ain't even Adalaide. Imagine if the situation was reversed and we had to travel to Perth to Play Carlton on a GF?

Here is the thing: It won't make any difference to me if a WC/ Freo GF is played in Perth, I'll be watching on TV. But How much difference will it make to Freo and WC fans who have supported their team and bought memberships and Merch etc? Only well-off fans can afford a return airfare and hotel in Melbourne, days off work etc.

poppa x said:
So using your logic..............
Play the game in WA and there'll be 40k corporate back slappers;
And 5k of true supporters.

No, by my logic there will be 10-20K Corporate backslappers. (smaller stadium, plus my logic was part based on the less-fans-more-comps-and-corporates logic, which wouldn't happen, by defninition.

But its a fair point

Given the need for certainty on scheduling, the ground arrangement would need to be sorted months in advance - how about the reverse which could have 2 vic teams or even Suns/lions playing in Perth?
Melbourne is about as central as you can get, meets the capacity and time zones, has the most teams and supporters, all teams play on the field throughout the year....

I can understand the suggestion to rotate the grounds, but they are chalk and cheese.

Third Ring said:
Given the need for certainty on scheduling, the ground arrangement would need to be sorted months in advance - how about the reverse which could have 2 vic teams or even Suns/lions playing in Perth?
Melbourne is about as central as you can get, meets the capacity and time zones, has the most teams and supporters, all teams play on the field throughout the year....

I can understand the suggestion to rotate the grounds, but they are chalk and cheese.

Already addressed this point, they schedule a games at stadiums during finals at a weeks notice, you have different options on standby, even play a replay at a weeks notice in 2010. Its not that big a stretch to extend it to the granny. Melbourne isn't central to Perth.