Grand Final location | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final location

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
A WC - Freo GF is a real possibility. Gill Mc say he'd love to see all the Sandgropers migrating across the nullabor. A nude emperor? Having it at the G is stupid. Likewise a Sydney/ GWS, a Bris/ Suns or Port/ Adelaide GF could happen in the future. A national comp? Imagine if we had to go to Perth to play Collingwood in a GF? They sign these binding contracts with stadiums apparently with zero eye on the future. Get with it AFL.

Yes, have thought that myself. Although, a GF at the 39-40k seat Subi? Perhaps once the new 60k seat WA stadium is up and running, it would be considered.

sorry no love for this one..
THE GRAND FINAL IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE PLAYED ON THE TRIPLE MCG, NATIONAL COMP OR NOT.
118 YEARS OF TRADITION.
THEY GET HOME PRELIMS, AND THEN OFF TO THE HOME OF FOOTBALL THE TRIPLE MCG!

tigersnake said:
A WC - Freo GF is a real possibility. Gill Mc say he'd love to see all the Sandgropers migrating across the nullabor. A nude emperor? Having it at the G is stupid. Likewise a Sydney/ GWS, a Bris/ Suns or Port/ Adelaide GF could happen in the future. A national comp? Imagine if we had to go to Perth to play Collingwood in a GF? They sign these binding contracts with stadiums apparently with zero eye on the future. Get with it AFL.
West Coast v Sydney or Port Adelaide v Brisbane ? Oops already happened

Why would we have to go to Perth for a grand final? We didn't join the WA league.

The G is the home of the grand final, just as Augusta is the home of The Masters, Wembley is the home of the FA Cup final and Wimbledon is the home of some tennis tournament.

spook said:
Why would we have to go to Perth for a grand final? We didn't join the WA league.

The G is the home of the grand final, just as Augusta is the home of The Masters, Wembley is the home of the FA Cup final and Wimbledon is the home of some tennis tournament.

International individual sports different, and England is the size of gippsland. And while yes the AFL used to be the VFL, that's not how its sold.

TheCan said:
THE GRAND FINAL IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE PLAYED ON THE TRIPLE MCG, NATIONAL COMP OR NOT.
118 YEARS OF TRADITION.

That bird has flown. There was 90-odd years of every game played 2 o'clock Saturday at suburban Melbourne grounds.

I think they have a fairly ironclad contract with the MCG at present. Maybe the Superbowl has the right idea, and they play it in a different location every year.

Grand Final is not set up for the fans anymore - its all about selling corporate boxes and tickets so I think it will always be the G where they can sell more for more....

TheCan said:
118 YEARS OF TRADITION.
100% spot on!

CarnTheTiges said:
I think they have a fairly ironclad contract with the MCG at present. Maybe the Superbowl has the right idea, and they play it in a different location every year.
Until 2030 or something like that

spook said:

This. The game is at the Home of Football. Any other talk is mental.

Bunnerz said:
MCG capacity is 100K

until another ground in Australia has that, then NO!!!

Unless its 2 big Vic clubs, it's 40 or 50K corporate back slappers. What about the WC and Freo fans? Its already an unfair advantage for Vic clubs, especially us whose home is at the G, I'll take it don't worry. But when its 2 Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, souther QLD teams, ? Ridiculous. Wouldn't happen often and it wouldn't wreck tradition.

TheCan said:
118 YEARS OF TRADITION.

Three GF's were played at Princes Park and another three at the Lake Oval. Also one each at Waverley and the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.

I'd be less opposed to it than e.g. scrapping the centre bounce for a "ball up".

I'd hate to see the Granny leave the G. Doubt it would happen when bookings and arrangements are made long before the last teams standing are known. It would be a logistical nightmare to arrange an interstate grand final with only a week's notice.