Goal Review Technology - Farce or not? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goal Review Technology - Farce or not?

What's your opinion on the AFL's goal review technology?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SkillzThatKillz said:
Probably the biggest issue to come out of this is that the decision went in our favour.

No doubt why there's been so much focus on it Skillz. ;)

YinnarTiger said:
Ditch the review system until we have proof that we have technology that is better than the human eye.

This.
If they won't spend the money to make it 100% accurate, then may as well go with odd cases of human error, rather than wasting game time looking at it from 10 different angles and still getting it wrong.

I know that stakes are high in footy so you want to make sure we get as many decisions right as we can at the elite level but IMO the current poor tech overcomplicates a system that worked well for over 100 years with no more complaints than we get from supporters 50 times a game re field umpiring decisions.

Waste of time and money.

Tigers of Old said:
Only way i would be for it is if they install perfect technology like the tennis's 'hawk-eye'.
That being it works to the millimetre and removes all doubt, as well as being installed consistently in every AFL ground across Australia.
Then I might accept it. As it stands now it's a complete farce.

Get the best or ditch it. Or change the rules to get rid of posters. Goes through the big sticks by foot its a goal. Through the behinds its a point. Ricochets off into the field of play, "play-on". Makes the umps job easier.

We've had more goal scoring stuff ups since it's been introduced.
get rid of it.

It's crap and the blokes they've got doing the reviews sound like aged dementia sufferers or chronically shy social recluses.

Get rid of it. A joke. A farce.

antman said:
It's crap and the blokes they've got doing the reviews sound like aged dementia sufferers or chronically shy social recluses.

Get rid of it. A joke. A farce.

:hihi

I thought it was a part-time job for the aged pensioners over 75.

I think they should make the crowd slow clap, then faster and faster with a final crescendo of indistinguishable clapping noise culminating in a final decision flashed on the scoreboard,, just like they do in the tennis. Opinions?

artball said:
re: sloanes goal. if you watch the the ball it bounces to the right then deviates to the left off the post. the video ump got it right.
I agree, it was the correct call.

Tenacious said:
I actually thought so too.
But what was the goal umpires call?
If he said he thought it hit the post - then I agree the video confirmed it.
But if he said goal - then even though I reckon it did touch the post - I wouldn't have overruled it.
Umpires called it a goal n didn't even bother with a review.
AFL rules all goals are reviewed regardless just to confirm the result.
Third umpire in the box made the review call that the ball HIT the post and overturned the on field decision.
Head office now claims they stuffed up and didn't have enough to call an over rule.

Tigers of Old said:
Why not if the field umpire stuffs up? Or are we just conditioned to accept that?

Exactly.

Ever since Australian Football was invented it had been a game played and adjudicated by people. It could be played in the most humble of situations as well as at the top level because it was a dynamic human game that didn't rely on technology and that was a big factor in its popularity.

If you want to stuff up the game, keep adding more technology and moving it further away from its roots - if you want rehearsed perfection in your life stop imposing those views on the footy and go and watch the ballet.

David C said:
Exactly.

Ever since Australian Football was invented it had been a game played and adjudicated by people. It could be played in the most humble of situations as well as at the top level because it was a dynamic human game that didn't rely on technology and that was a big factor in its popularity.

If you want to stuff up the game, keep adding more technology and moving it further away from its roots - if you want rehearsed perfection in your life stop imposing those views on the footy and go and watch the ballet.

It's because the stakes are so high now, a wrong decision could cost a career or even a premiership. I appreciate the desire to improve, but it isn't happening. Many aspects of the game don't readily lend themselves to sharper examination. In a way, this has contributed to making the game great.

David C said:
Exactly.

Yep. 4 posts and a human goal umpire can be utilised in any game of Australian football across the country. Has been that way for 150 years.
There are mistakes made by umpires officiating the sport in every league every weekend.
Yet for some reason we want to change that at AFL senior level to some half baked technology that is full of flaws.
Just accept that mistakes happen.

Waste of money!

What about technology like hotspot being used?

Would it have picked up the heat signature if the ball hit the post?

I went with improvement required.

If the AFL fully want to go ahead they need to spend the money, not only should the same technology be in ALL stadiums used in the league (not just the MCG and Etihad) but they should also have better technology. They have brought it in in soccer now and it works great, and I know its slightly more difficult in AFL in that it can be touched on the line, but the camera technology they now use in soccer could 100% be used in the AFL with a few tweaks, but the AFL need to spend the money if they want to go through with it. Not half arsed, they need to go the whole hog.

Or a goal umpire at each of the goal posts. Saves on technology costs, gives you a lot more coverage.

Technology is not perfect especially where a human has to interpret the results as it showed at the weekend. That said, with a few tweaks it should iron out the more contentious issues on scores so should be persevered with. I just don't like to see goal umps and umps in general who are afraid of making a decision so they put the onus on the goal reviewer

I think they should put a couple of cameras into the top of each post looking down will give full line coverage and most of the posts as well so did it cross the line is easily covered and most did it hit the posts are also covered.

brigadiertiger said:
I think they should put a couple of cameras into the top of each post looking down will give full line coverage and most of the posts as well so did it cross the line is easily covered and most did it hit the posts are also covered.

KB hit the top of the goalpost a couple of times. What's the score if the ball hits the camera?

Tigers of Old said:
Yep. 4 posts and a human goal umpire can be utilised in any game of Australian football across the country. Has been that way for 150 years.
There are mistakes made by umpires officiating the sport in every league every weekend.
Yet for some reason we want to change that at AFL senior level to some half baked technology that is full of flaws.
Just accept that mistakes happen.

Waste of money!

This. Give us the game back and just have confidence in the humans umpiring the game again. Yes we make mistakes, sheesh everyone makes mistakes but this technology is not making the game any better.

The simplest solution is to use umpires with nads.

Today's umps are so shitscared of making a wrong decision that they defer upstairs needlessly, only for it to come back as inconclusive as the technology is next to useless.

Take this crutch away from them and back them or sack them.

We can only hope that to go with this goal technology that somebody somewhere is working on field umpire robots that make perfect decisions and we have electronic sensors along the boundary lines to make sure there are no mistakes there either. :p