Franklin's 50 Meters? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Franklin's 50 Meters?

gold1 said:
Not sure about crisis point,but the holding the ball rule needs to be at.If there is a pre season comp next year,I would like to introduce the immediate holding the ball penalty for players that handball to players already covered by opposing players.ie how often do we see a handball going to a player already under the pump.It just might force players to kick more.

They seem to be held to very loose standards.

They're looking at having 40-minute 'lightning premiership' style matches for the NAB Cup, but they can still trial things in the Country Challenge (?) though. I don't know that it's possible to police what you've suggested though.

Can only think they're giving players longer to dispose in the hope that they can create something and open up the play. They're also letting players squabble over the ball for a long time before calling for a bounce, as if they're reluctant to do so. There seems to be a lot of packs/tackles/bounces in the game at present.

I'm not suggesting they cost us the game as it was a case of swings and roundabouts today. Thought the standard was in keeping with that of the match itself, i.e. dire. The free to Riewoldt in the second quarter was just about the worst decision I've seen this year.

So long as AFL is a professional sport that employs amateur umpires there will always be problems. It is way past the time that umpires became professional umpires and then maybe they could all be taught from the same page and do away with this personal interpretation rubbish.

In a competition worth millions, a umpire can pay 50metre penalty and which is never anywhere near 50 metres. Either its 60 or worst close to 70 metres.
Today's fifty went from centre wing to 10 metres into the 50 metre arch..
That's the inconstancy's that screw this game..

Completely frustrated by the liberal 50 metre penaties these days. Bring back the 15 and leave the 50's for the more serious incidents. :police:

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The holding the ball interpretation has changed yet again. Players are now being given an eternity to get rid of the ball, and blatant throws are going unpunished. At least the common sense "knocked clear in the tackle, play on" call seems to have returned after a hiatus of years - with some umpires anyway. Very confusing.

The umpiring is a mess. It's not far off crisis point.

Good post.
The umpiring was shocking yesterday, shocking.
Not just for Richmond though.
The Hawks would have plenty of grief with the lemon yellows themselves.
On one occasion in their forward 50m, I counted 3 holding the ball decisions in a 15 sec passage of play against Tiger players that went unpunished.

For us the Franklin 50m and Jackson bump were the obvious standouts but you can't blame a loss on the umps when they murdered both sides over the course of the game.

Hopeless.

don't forget Deledio getting crunched after he kicked the ball late in 3rd quarter - should have been a downfield free and certain goal.

brigadiertiger said:
So long as AFL is a professional sport that employs amateur umpires there will always be problems. It is way past the time that umpires became professional umpires and then maybe they could all be taught from the same page and do away with this personal interpretation rubbish.

Don't umpires get paid?! :eek:

super_coach said:
don't forget Deledio getting crunched after he kicked the ball late in 3rd quarter - should have been a downfield free and certain goal.

It was a great clothes hanger by Stokes!

Certain free IMO.

TigerForce said:
Steve McLaren's head.

lemon1.jpg

That is a harsh call on the lemon.

watched that with no volume in the pub and yes he cleaerly stepped back twice....poor umpiring and geichen should look at it

The 50 was costly and wasn't there but I don't think we can feel to hardly done by, Martin was caught cold holding the ball 3 times in row and got away with it.

I was very frustrated by the umps yesterday, they made almost as many mistakes as we did. Hawthorn got a couple of goals from bad decisions.

I think most football supporter just want to see more consistency. Holding the ball is the worst.

If the Franklin one was 50 then there would be 20 of these every game, they finally paid the same thing against Rioli in the last qrt after he had done it 4/5 times. No consistency.

Franklin scored from that right ? So it's McGuane's fault.

Baloo said:
Franklin scored from that right ? So it's McGuane's fault.

Baloo, Mcguane would give away either though ill disicipline or brain fades 2 - 3 goals a game.

We've seen it for years. We cant just gift goals to the opposition. Hawks got 13 from 38 entries and 11 behinds, that over 33% goals for goals and nearly 66% for scores. On AFL averages Hawks should have been tracking for a ten goal game. The two Mguane brain fades and the franklin 50 metre penalty flattered the Hawks.

Luke did cost us the game though - Hawks were done early in the third and just continually gifting them goals got them over the line.

Luke need to be told the basics that you dont move toward a stationary defender and draw an opponent towards him and then give him the ball - you are supposed to create time and space not minimise time and space. Luke puts his own players under pressure week in week out.

Also he choreographs every kick and to compound it wastes time so that forwards can man up. I was in the third level of the Northern stand and I knew he was going to kick to Lids 10 seconds before he did. So did Roughy.

We simply cant afford millionaires down back handing over goals every week.

McGuane is a disastrous footballer and belongs back in the 80s.

Plenty of tragic non performers at the RFC.

McGuane has to go ther longer spuds like him are on the list the longer the RFC will be a cellar dwellar.

McGuane does cost goals every week vis ill discipline, lack of smarts and most certainly through turnovers with his *smile* skills.

Did the same thing against Casey in the 2nds last week cost 3 or 4 goals with turnovers and stupid free kicks in one half of footy at reserve level.

I cant stand seeing him out there same goes for White, McMahon and Polo

We agree on somthing Lambsy .................. warms the heart on a cold day.

You two might agree but I certainly don't

If he gave away a goal or two hecertainly stopped quite a few more and was all over franklin..... more so as the game wore on.

His crap kick to lids is just one mistake that any number of players might have made on any given day.

The boy is doing a good job down back at the moment under the extreme pressure that comes when the ball is coming in thick and fast as it does when you're the bottom team.

If you were a fair minded supporter then your ire would be directed elsewhere.

I'm a fair minded member ...... and McGuane is a dud hes got plenty of mates still on the list but hes a bona fide truck.

Another spack filler, this club needs new gyprock sheeting and cladding if its going to rebuild solid not spack filler.

Spakfilla that can beat one of the best tall forwards in the game should adorn the walls for a few years to come IMO.

In a "transition period" mistakes are gonna happen until ALL the blokes on the ground understand where the others are going to run to. Until this happens the most you can ask for is beat your man and do your best . I would say that luke fulfilled that ask.

BTW I'm a member too