Franklin's 50 Meters? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Franklin's 50 Meters?

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
WARNING THIS IS A SOUR GRAPES THREAD!

Umpire pinged Edwards for not coming back to the spot immediately when Edwards took over the "on-the-mark" position from Nason when Franklin marked.

The replay shows that Edwards immediately moved back a good meter and a half as requested by the umpire - within a nano-second the umpire gave out 50 meters.

Even the Hawthorn bias commentators said that was not 50!

Franklin goaled and in the end we get done by 3 miserable points!

The umpire footy Gods are definitely against us this year.

Absolute crap decision from umprires that were absolutely crap all day.

Edwards ran back the whole 50 mtrs with his arns our as if to indicated, 'what the hell is that for?'

Steve McLaren's head.

lemon1.jpg

Umpires were terrible (what's new) all day for both sides. So many time you were left wondering ' what the hell just happened ?' But once again, the rub of the green seemed to go against us. I can only hope by the time we are good, that fortune will turn around as well .

AN ABSOLUTE WRONG PIECE OF *smile* UMPIRING..PATHETIC AND TOTALLY WRONG IN EVERYWAY...EVEN PARKIN AGREED IT WAS DISGRACEFUL..I WAS SO VERY VERY PISSED OFF AS IT WASNT A 50 METERE PENALTY FOR ANY REASON AND AGAINST THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.....THE TWO BUMPS IN THE HEAD THAT WENT UNREWARDED WHERE ALSO WRONG WRONG WRONG..

I don't appreciate umpires that can't see what a vast majority of watchers see - pure and simple. I appreciate all the young underpaid and volunteer umpires out there and they deserve all the protection we can give them, but some (AFL) are paid more than most, and should not enjoy their protected species status - believe they too should do a post game interview - if they were more accountable they might get things right more often.

And just to add to your sour-grapes RT:

In the dying moments, when Tucky was caught for hold the ball, there was clear vision of Rioli holding Cotchin by the jumper - that free to Cotchin was due before Tucky was tackled. Saw it in live vision and rewound to be sure :mad:

How does Gieschen still hold his position? Time for someone better to take over.

very frustrating for 2 reasons:

1. hawthorn are notorious for trying to steal metres with their man on the mark... and they rarely ever get penalised.
2. as i said on the gameday thread, tuck should have received a 50m penalty when he marked with about a minute to go - as there was a hawthorn player who encroached within the 5m.

The holding the ball interpretation has changed yet again. Players are now being given an eternity to get rid of the ball, and blatant throws are going unpunished. At least the common sense "knocked clear in the tackle, play on" call seems to have returned after a hiatus of years - with some umpires anyway. Very confusing.

The umpiring is a mess. It's not far off crisis point.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The holding the ball interpretation has changed yet again. Players are now being given an eternity to get rid of the ball, and blatant throws are going unpunished. At least the common sense "knocked clear in the tackle, play on" call seems to have returned after a hiatus of years - with some umpires anyway. Very confusing.

I agree LTRTR. It is the one thing that is really turning me off the game right now - doesn't matter what the game, RFC or others - just frustrated by this interpretation - its' counter-intuitive for anyone who's played.............

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Pedantic decisions must be removed. Just watching any 90's game clearly shows how 'wasted' and 'confusing' umpiring has become.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Cost us the game

Was a bad call but what about Vickery dropping a mark directly in front 40m lace out or Tuck's run down or the kick across goal to a Roughhead Deledio contest or Webberley to high or the hawk who should have been done for holding the ball 5mins to go mind you there were bad decisions both ways.

Settle down... Was a bad decision... But that did not cost us the game.

Try looking at our own mistakes before that..

They kicked 3 goals in the last quarter from our poor decisions...

Franklin kicks a goal from a bad umpires choice we kick points...

B2

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Not sure about crisis point,but the holding the ball rule needs to be at.If there is a pre season comp next year,I would like to introduce the immediate holding the ball penalty for players that handball to players already covered by opposing players.ie how often do we see a handball going to a player already under the pump.It just might force players to kick more.