Football Report: Craig Cameron | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Football Report: Craig Cameron

tigerfan1961 said:
:clap Well said, exactly my thoughts after reading it. Just reassuring the fans that we know what we are doing

If it is true that they have signed McGuane to 2012 then they clearly have NO IDEA what they are doing.

Reasonably good article to settle the fans, but personally think it may also be to protect his own turf.

1) Big number of kids, pumps up the kids, more kids in future
2) Pumps up Tuck (Think he's implying that his public hawking of Tuck has worked to motivate him. nifty re-write to cover backside)
3) Stakes out his own turf as List Manager by saying Hartley is only looking at AFL trades
4) Says we'll draft "experienced big-bodied" players (like Barlow, Silvagni, Howlett etc) next year

Gotta love the Tuck bashing that goes on here. So his disposal isn't that of Lindsay Gilbee & he won't be around in our next finals campaign.
I'll say one thing though, he is the only player on our list who I'd back to win a contested ball more than lose. Footballs a tough game to win when you don't actually have the ball, something we struggle to do. He actually wants & gets the ball, something a lot of our players seem to be afraid of or unable to do. So he turns it over more than we'd like. Is it always his fault, the amount of times I watch games & no one presents is astounding. JR often leads from full forward when we have the ball in the back 50 because no one else is presenting. It is not exactly hard to effect a turn over against the stagnant Tigers at the moment. So yeah, Tuck isn't a star but whilst we have no hard bodies, no one capable of winning the hard ball or willing to, Tuck is servicable in my eyes.
And for those who argue he is holding a youngster back.... who right now is he holding back?

Get off the guys back, plenty more problems than worrying about Tuck getting his 30 possesions a game & turning a few over, such as the other 15 odd who can't actually get a kick.
So someone within the club gave him a rap, good on them. All the arm chair experts know better of course and can see it's all just spin.

Big Bodies?
A bit slow on the uptake.
Haven't we appeared like midgets on the field for years now?

Big Bodies....yeh.....no more BS.....just go and get them.
Don't tell the world about it. Just go and do it.
(No more scrawny 'project' kids)

::)

Dexter said:
hmmm a bit of a worry that mention of big bodies , hopefully just a fluff piece to keep the memebers happy..
apart from a mature ruckman i would hope it would be all kids , no less than 10 kids from th nd/rd..
You can still use the draft to pick up big bodied 18 year old kids. Perfect example being Martin.

It seems some are jumping at shadows here.

ROLLS ROYCE said:
Would assume from that release that we will be looking to other clubs players in the future but not at the loss of draft selections....more likely player swap or dollars.
I hope we are bloody active at the trade table this year. Not for us to give away picks but to help other deals get done where 1) we strenghthen our position in the draft 2) us do low profile trades similar to what Sydney did last year.

Smoking Aces said:

Really mate? Not on here, surely..... :hihi

Amazing the amount of people that take things like this and fabricate it to a negative position on the club and people within the club.

I thought the piece was to reaffirm the message of where we are at as a club and where we are going and that there is a plan in place. The club has no intention of taking their eye off the ball and short terming anything, and amazing people that have actually heard from Brendan Gale's own mouth say we will not deviate from our plan are questioning that over this article the club are getting nervous.

A lot of fans and members are just that, fans and members. A heap don't know what a football forum is and don't look too deep into situations. They read a piece like that to reaffirm the club knows the score and has a plan in place. I would say a vast majority of supporters are just like that. After all we have 41,000 members and this forum and other forums don't have that many members. So the club has to cater for them as well as the knowitall types.

The club are in the position they are in. There is no point looking backwards other to acknowledge the mistakes and learn from it and move forward. We have set a plan in place and we are Round 6 into it. Not a year, not three years but Six Rounds.

Disco Stu said:
Gotta love the Tuck bashing that goes on here. So his disposal isn't that of Lindsay Gilbee & he won't be around in our next finals campaign.
I'll say one thing though, he is the only player on our list who I'd back to win a contested ball more than lose. Footballs a tough game to win when you don't actually have the ball, something we struggle to do. He actually wants & gets the ball, something a lot of our players seem to be afraid of or unable to do. So he turns it over more than we'd like. Is it always his fault, the amount of times I watch games & no one presents is astounding. JR often leads from full forward when we have the ball in the back 50 because no one else is presenting. It is not exactly hard to effect a turn over against the stagnant Tigers at the moment. So yeah, Tuck isn't a star but whilst we have no hard bodies, no one capable of winning the hard ball or willing to, Tuck is servicable in my eyes.
And for those who argue he is holding a youngster back.... who right now is he holding back?

Get off the guys back, plenty more problems than worrying about Tuck getting his 30 possesions a game & turning a few over, such as the other 15 odd who can't actually get a kick.
So someone within the club gave him a rap, good on them. All the arm chair experts know better of course and can see it's all just spin.
What Disco said :clap :clap

Tigerbob said:
Really mate? Not on here, surely..... :hihi

Amazing the amount of people that take things like this and fabricate it to a negative position on the club and people within the club.

I thought the piece was to reaffirm the message of where we are at as a club and where we are going and that there is a plan in place. The club has no intention of taking their eye off the ball and short terming anything, and amazing people that have actually heard from Brendan Gale's own mouth say we will not deviate from our plan are questioning that over this article the club are getting nervous.

A lot of fans and members are just that, fans and members. A heap don't know what a football forum is and don't look too deep into situations. They read a piece like that to reaffirm the club knows the score and has a plan in place. I would say a vast majority of supporters are just like that. After all we have 41,000 members and this forum and other forums don't have that many members. So the club has to cater for them as well as the knowitall types.

The club are in the position they are in. There is no point looking backwards other to acknowledge the mistakes and learn from it and move forward. We have set a plan in place and we are Round 6 into it. Not a year, not three years but Six Rounds.
People start to question those in charge when they are not being transparent with their members and yet when they are being transparent and giving their members feedback on the clubs plans they are perceived as letting opposition clubs know the RFC inner secrets or worse still buckling to media/supporter pressure. Its a bloody lose/lose situation.

The average member/supporter doesnt jump on PRE, Bigfooty or OER to get their Richmond fix. Its via the club website or main media outlets like the HS or Age. I am sure most would be more than happy to see the communcation lines are open between member and club. And more importantly that the club is not deviating from their plan.

And so what if their is a positive spin put on the performance of Shane Tuck. We all know he aint going to be part of the next premiership but the last I looked he is still a player for the RFC. If he is working his arse off then he deserves recognition for it.

Smoking Aces said:
The average member/supporter doesnt jump on PRE.. to get their Richmond fix. Its via the club website or main media outlets like the HS or Age. I am sure most would be more than happy to see the communcation lines are open between member and club. And more importantly that the club is not deviating from their plan.

I don't know what you mean by "average member/supporter" in regard to unofficial forums but a few years ago Hitwise showed PRE and the RFC site had almost equal traffic and were, from memory 4th and 5th in the top 100 AFL related sites at the time. Millions of hits a month indicates plenty of people are reading this site. The RFC is aware of that and follow the input. It is just one way, of many, they have of knowing what the supporters are thinking.

TOT70 said:
I wonder if it has occurred to Cameron and Hartley to have a very close look at the VFL? I wonder how many more players of the ilk of Barlow, Silvagni, Nahas, Podsiadly, Moles and Picken are out there waiting for an opportunity?
This was exactly the feeling I got from the article - in terms of what CC was referring to and looking at Nason we can hopefully do well from the 'lesser' leagues.

Smoking Aces said:
People start to question those in charge when they are not being transparent with their members and yet when they are being transparent and giving their members feedback on the clubs plans they are perceived as letting opposition clubs know the RFC inner secrets or worse still buckling to media/supporter pressure. Its a bloody lose/lose situation.

You're right it doesn't matter what they say.

The proof is in the pudding.

Smoking Aces said:
You can still use the draft to pick up big bodied 18 year old kids. Perfect example being Martin.

And going back past Martin, who are the other big bodied kids?

From now on I'm open to any big bodied players, any age, taken from any League that can help us NOW.
Poor and average teams can come on quickly if a club prepares for it.
If a club sets the horizon as it's benchmark for it's success, it never gets there.

I'm sick of us picking up kids and HOPING they'll turn into something.
End of next year, the RFC is now ready for an influx of big bodied players who are NOT kids, who can hit a target.
And these types of players are playing in every League, in every state of Australia.

We've planned so badly for the future for so long, we don't realize the future is upon us.
RFC.....Get cracking.

geoffryprettyboy said:
I'll be able to bare the pain as long as we stick to retaining our draft picks and not drop the ball and panic and go for recycled players other clubs are happy to let go.

Hopefully with Hartley analysing the bottom half of clubs lists, there will be no more 'but Thomson was a pick 12!!! and we're gonna get him for pick 42, we're winners and Port are suckers' type scenarios.

Dowler was a pick 6 and we're gonna get him for pick 25...... then Hartley steps in and says that he's analysed Dowler properly and he's a dud and we're not getting him.

Barnzy said:
He would be 29 by the time they trade for him. I seriously doubt they would do that. If we could get something for him though, great...because if not I see him being delisted at the end of the year.

Could happen, GC17 want a few years of Tuck's body copping hard hits, while the kids are protected. Tuck retires or is delisted after this and their kids are just turning 20-21 and are ready to go.

wayne said:
Hopefully with Hartley analysing the bottom half of clubs lists, there will be no more 'but Thomson was a pick 12!!! and we're gonna get him for pick 42, we're winners and Port are suckers' type scenarios.

Dowler was a pick 6 and we're gonna get him for pick 25...... then Hartley steps in and says that he's analysed Dowler properly and he's a dud and we're not getting him.
Exactly, we all hear the talk about finding hidden gems in the state leagues, but there is still a fair amount of under utilised talent already on AFL lists that could help our rebuild. If we have our targets in mind after analysing what's on offer, it will put us in a far better position come trade time (also draft time). We need to use every single inlet to talent that is available to us.

I wonder how much analysis went into drafting tom hislop. I know FJ was a fan of his as a junior, I hate to think we based most of our reasoning behind his recruitment on this. Hopefully with Hartley in this role much more thought will go into these types of decisions.

wayne said:
Could happen, GC17 want a few years of Tuck's body copping hard hits, while the kids are protected. Tuck retires or is delisted after this and their kids are just turning 20-21 and are ready to go.
Could definitely happen. GC has already indicated it will look at blokes in their late 20s. They rookied Daniel Harris FFS! Given Tuck's B&F record we'd get a first round compensation pick for him too. That would most likely give us two top-10 picks in 2012, the first untainted draft. As much as I love Tuck, I hope like hell this happens.

spook said:
Could definitely happen. GC has already indicated it will look at blokes in their late 20s. They rookied Daniel Harris FFS! Given Tuck's B&F record we'd get a first round compensation pick for him too. That would most likely give us two top-10 picks in 2012, the first untainted draft. As much as I love Tuck, I hope like hell this happens.
I also hope that when I get home from work tonight I find Jennifer Hawkins lewd in my bed.