Dreamtime - Our first win | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dreamtime - Our first win

jackfrost said:
How about that smashing in '48 out back of the colac primary school shelter sheds??.......has that one ever been avenged ?

That was 1953!!! The Shelter Shed weren't built yet.. That was the day when they killed us those 8 handballs.

B2

23.21.159 said:
Easter Monday, 1982 - best of the lot!
Yep.

Standing in Bay 10 or 11 squashed like a sardine on a warm day of 90,000 people watching a great 2nd half win by us. Flea was on fire that day.

23.21.159 said:
Easter Monday, 1982 - best of the lot!

I was there,upper deck old sth stand cheer squad.

Didn't we kick 10 in the last quarter?

It was like the 95 semi .

Great weather 90 thou and the Tigers blew away the Veruca Salts.

smasha said:
I was there,upper deck old sth stand cheer squad.

Didn't we kick 10 in the last quarter?

It was like the 95 semi .

Great weather 90 thou and the Tigers blew away the Veruca Salts.

Correct 10 goals to 2 in the final quarter.

One of the most memorable games I've ever been to!!

14 goals were scored in the second quarter.

We played "Champagne Football" that day! ;D

Richmond 4.7 12.14 15.18 25.22 172
Essendon 6.3 12.9 14.13 16.14 110

Mon 12-Apr-1982 2:10 PM Att:90,564 Venue: M.C.G.

I find it a bit funny in some ways talk of old wins against the Bombers.

I know we have won a few games against them in recent years.

But between 83 to about 2004 or 2005, you could count the amount of times we beat Ess on 2 hands, maybe one hand even.

I can remember beaten them in 87 ( spoon year ) 92 at Windy Hill ( last team to beat them at Windy Hill ) 95 final we all remember of course, 2001 round 22. Probably only 1 or 2 more.

Thats about it though.

Would be a good one for those with stats. I reckon between 83 and 2004 it would not have been many. All I can remember growing up was getting beaten by Ess pretty much every time we played them. And by big margins usually too.

Jack said:
I can remember beaten them in 87 ( spoon year ) 92 at Windy Hill ( last team to beat them at Windy Hill ) 95 final we all remember of course, 2001 round 22. Probably only 1 or 2 more.

That was a tank if I've ever seen one. They let us win to prevent the Blooze from finishing 4th and playing them in the Qualifying final the week after.

i have mostly bad memories with Essendon,

A few highlights like 95,

But mostly nightmares of them bullying us unfortunatly .

TigerForce said:
That was a tank if I've ever seen one. They let us win to prevent the Blooze from finishing 4th and playing them in the Qualifying final the week after.

Your probably right.

As I said, can't remember too many good days against them over about a 20 year period.

Probably not too many good days against anyone for 28 years in actual fact, but thats another discussion. ;D

kiwitiger said:
i have mostly bad memories with Essendon,

A few highlights like 95,

But mostly nightmares of them bullying us unfortunatly .

Bullying is right.

Those games around 98-2003 when Ess were a top side, the games would be over in 20 mins. It would always be about 6 goal to 0 late in the first and game over. Our boys would always be totally beaten mentally, physically and intimidated.

I remember it was a focus of that powerful Ess side to always start well and blow teams away early, or bully if you like. The last 3 quarters would then be a bore because the hard work had been done by Ess and they would cruise to an easy win. The bid crowd would be quiet because our fans just had to cop it, and their supporters would be quite because they were spoilt rotten and it would just be another easy win and nothing to get too excited about.

Ahhh, memories.

Beavis has totally changed our game style, while we played them well in the past all bets are now off. Frankly with Jackson out I would keep expectations low, the Dons are a better team than the Hawks this year.

With Hille dodging a bullet (no idea how he beat that one), and Jacko out, we are not looking real flash just at the moment for this one.

Then you need to consider that this game is almost going to be season defining for the Bombers. A teams position over Rounds 8,9 and 10 is usually a big indicator of whether they are any real chance of making the finals.

Jack said:
Bullying is right.

Those games around 98-2003 when Ess were a top side, the games would be over in 20 mins. It would always be about 6 goal to 0 late in the first and game over. Our boys would always be totally beaten mentally, physically and intimidated.

I remember it was a focus of that powerful Ess side to always start well and blow teams away early, or bully if you like. The last 3 quarters would then be a bore because the hard work had been done by Ess and they would cruise to an easy win. The bid crowd would be quiet because our fans just had to cop it, and their supporters would be quite because they were spoilt rotten and it would just be another easy win and nothing to get too excited about.

Ahhh, memories.

We've seen replays of the 1995 draw and the 1995 semi final, but one game I'd love to see again, even though we lost, is the 1993 pre-season night final against Essendon at Waverley. Our last 'grand final' ;D

Streak said:
With Hille dodging a bullet (no idea how he beat that one), and Jacko out, we are not looking real flash just at the moment for this one.

Then you need to consider that this game is almost going to be season defining for the Bombers. A teams position over Rounds 8,9 and 10 is usually a big indicator of whether they are any real chance of making the finals.

Agreed.

We turned it last week like normal but the difference was Hawthorn were just as bad with their disposal/decision making and couldn't/didn't hurt us much on the rebound. Will be a different ball game against Essendon, they're very efficient on the fast break and often hurt teams (see Saints game last week, mauled them on fast breaks).

Our best bet will be to pressure, pressure, pressure because we won't be able to outscore them at their own game, not enough goal scoring options. With their gamestyle though and our kids it wouldn't surprise me if this one blows out pretty badly.

Streak said:
A teams position over Rounds 8,9 and 10 is usually a big indicator of whether they are any real chance of making the finals.

With Port ( away ) and StK ( should bounce back soon ) after this week, its not looking too good for us then. ;D

TigerForce said:
We've seen replays of the 1995 draw and the 1995 semi final, but one game I'd love to see again, even though we lost, is the 1993 pre-season night final against Essendon at Waverley. Our last 'grand final' ;D

Hey don't forget the pre season final against Port in 2002. Remember we made the finals in 2001, pre season final in 2002, then huge win against Coll in round 1 of 2002, so we looked like we were a team to be placed at the top end of the ladder, and then it at went to sh!t from there.

Ahhh memories