DELIEDO AND COTCHIN CO CAPTAINS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DELIEDO AND COTCHIN CO CAPTAINS

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Newman tries but he cannot continue as our captain next year. Is totally uninspiring and has zero presence he would be better player without captaincy. Next year we should appoint Cotchin and Deliedo co-captains and start a new successful dynasty with Cotchin to get it outright eventually. Foley is too injury proned to be considered

Newman i am sure gives all he has to give - but - he is the worst AFL captain i can remember and should retire from it immediately

from all reports lids might not be captain material

cotchin is the man, younger than you'd like, but the only one that sticks out as being of captaincy material on the ground at least - if he finishes off the year without any injury concerns and playing good footy, natural selection

newman is just not a captain, he should concentrate on not turning ball over

This is a non-issue for now. Newman can hold the fort while we wait a couple of years for a more influential leader to emerge.

If Riewoldt could lift his game and get his head right he might make an OK captain

Looks like Cotchin is being groomed to me. Notice he was addressing the team in the huddle at one stage. I'm wondering actually whether Deledio has ambitions to be captain. It might be he doesn't want to, and he doesn't seem to be naturally endeared to it.

BladeTiger said:
If Riewoldt could lift his game and get his head right he might make an OK captain

Riewoldt's new nickname should be 'Pole Dancer'....teases & tantalizes but you never get a full return on investment (so to speak).

Builds your hopes up, you think maybe... maybe - but just leaves ya hangin'.

(Thanks Watto ;))

Ocker said:
Riewoldt's new nickname should be 'Pole Dancer'....teases & tantalizes but you never get a full return on investment (so to speak).

Unless you pay that little bit extra. So maybe we need to pay Reiwoldt more?

Cotchin is not ready needs to focus on his own game, his numbers are not good this year, especially when you see the likes of Scully, Trengove and Martin.

I'd like to stack up Cotchins stats for the year against these 3 and I bet he would be coming last. Went missing for a long time last night in the 3rd quarter.

Ocker said:

Builds your hopes up, you think maybe... maybe - but just leaves ya hangin'.

(Thanks Watto ;))

Geez he's only 21 you know

Chocco said:
Cotchin is not ready needs to focus on his own game, his numbers are not good this year, especially when you see the likes of Scully, Trengove and Martin.

I'd like to stack up Cotchins stats for the year against these 3 and I bet he would be coming last. Went missing for a long time last night in the 3rd quarter.
it is a fitness issue - when he is winning the ball we look so much better. When he tires at the end of the game we drop right off. I think getting Foley and Cousins back in there should help him - they cop a fir bit of heat

Chocco said:

Lucky its not just about numbers. Cotchin looks much more polished than any of these other guys right now. He runs and carries and oflloads at the right time - much better than most I have ever seen. I can't see why his gradual progression fitness-wise should prevent him from being seriously considered for captaincy. We've already seen him captain the team once this year, and as mentioned, he is often addressing the players. He is well spoken and is the natural successor to me. If you are mature enough why not?

I think Deledio needs the role more than the role needs him. It will push the responsibility onto him and lift his intensity as a player.

Based on my own personal experiences, I wasn't the hardest worker or most dedicated on the track, but once I was given the responsibility of captaincy it forced the issue onto me, you are suddenly in the spotlight and need to set the standards. I believe it will fast track his development, Grant Thomas was onto something when he had the captain rotation system, it gives the player experience you can't teach.

As I mentioned in another thread, If I look at the whole list, Dustin Martin looks the most captain like personality to me. I'll speculate that he will overtake Cotchin in the leadership qualities when he's older (definately over take Deledio). Obviously I'm talking about this in the context of the future. He's only played a handful of games so would realistically be at least 3 years away from being considered for a position such as captain.

Hopper mentioned that it is a non-issue and that Newman can hold the fort for a couple of seasons while a new leader emerges. I tend to agree with this point to an extent, though it is really disappointing that Foley is so injury prone these days. To me he would be a much better option to serve this purpose than Newman if his body would allow him to get on the park consistantly.

As someone else said, If only Cousins was a few years younger ???

Panthera Tigris said:
As I mentioned in another thread, If I look at the whole list, Dustin Martin looks the most captain like personality to me. I'll speculate that he will overtake Cotchin in the leadership qualities when he's older (definately over take Deledio). Obviously I'm talking about this in the context of the future. He's only played a handful of games so would realistically be at least 3 years away from being considered for a position such as captain.

Hopper mentioned that it is a non-issue and that Newman can hold the fort for a couple of seasons while a new leader emerges. I tend to agree with this point to an extent, though it is really disappointing that Foley is so injury prone these days. To me he would be a much better option to serve this purpose than Newman if his body would allow him to get on the park consistantly.

As someone else said, If only Cousins was a few years younger ???

agree on all points