Deledio ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Deledio ?

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
What do we collectively make of Deledios' efforts thus far ?

In all of the posts about the positives and negatives...In my albeit quick reading, Ive not seem him mentioned either way.

It worrys me when we seem to be talking more about Nason performance than a number one draft pick in Deledios'..

Tiger17 said:
What do we collectively make of Deledios' efforts thus far ?

In all of the posts about the positives and negatives...In my albeit quick reading, Ive not seem him mentioned either way.

It worrys me when we seem to be talking more about Nason performance than a number one draft pick in Deledios'..

For such a "skilled" player, he sure lacks effort. Effort seems to be his only downside though, has all the tools but just doesnt want the ball enough when the game is on the line.

Jason King said:
For such a "skilled" player, he sure lacks effort. Effort seems to be his only downside though, has all the tools but just doesnt want the ball enough when the game is on the line.
Spot On.

Jason King said:

What was wrong with 34 touches, 8 marks on the weekend? Don't get that if you lack 'effort'. Deledio just doesn't get the recognition like a Griffen because his side gets flogged every week. He's a super player trying to carry a number of spuds on his back each and every week. Only thing I think Deledio lacks is leadership, reported as a very introverted type. Nothing wrong with that though, GAJ lacks leadership.

WIth Deledio it is all about effort. When he tries he plays well. His last three weeks effort wise have been outstanding. Is trying to be the line breaker from the back half. Is running with purpose and pace.

Nothing to worry about here. Evo made the call, he is a Brendon Goodard clone with pace. Tend to agree.

Barnzy said:
What was wrong with 34 touches, 8 marks on the weekend? Don't get that if you lack 'effort'. Deledio just doesn't get the recognition like a Griffen because his side gets flogged every week. He's a super player trying to carry a number of spuds on his back each and every week. Only thing I think Deledio lacks is leadership, reported as a very introverted type. Nothing wrong with that though, GAJ lacks leadership.

Well said James.

What worries me is that he is still not the clubs No.1 midfielder. Was drafted to become that player, his first year we all thought that this kid was the answer to our midfield. However, it seems he is unable to shake a tag and the fact he is now playing as a defender makes me think the coaches dont have faith in him as a midfielder either. Sure he racked them up on Sunday at HB, but geez a player of his ilk should playing that role. I feel after 5yrs in the system, he has been a let down purely because of his inability to play in the midfield. Hopefuly with the development of Cotchin and Martin - he will get back in there.

Also my 2cents - if he isnt in the midfield, i believe he should be a makeshift CHF

ToraToraTora said:
We have 654000 other problems to fix before worrying about Deledio.

Funny how people focus on some of our better players in Deledio, Riewoldt, etc and McGuane, Tuck, Jackson and co get a free ride? These are the type of players that are the problem.

Barnzy said:

Whats wrong is they are mostly half back cheapies. He should be in the guts getting the clearances like Martin and Foley. I think he is a super player too, just not one that tries hard enough when it counts. I mean he has Ben Cousins of all players to look up to, the king of gut running and physical exertion. Somehow I dont think Deledio will change untill he is in a better team.

Barnzy said:
Funny how people focus on some of our better players in Deledio, Riewoldt, etc and McGuane, Tuck, Jackson and co get a free ride? These are the type of players that are the problem.

So its ok to be lazy as long as you have skill? That will make a great footy team! Why not focus on all the negatives, at least try and look to be objective for one.

ToraToraTora said:
We have 654000 other problems to fix before worrying about Deledio.

Exactly..... If only the rest of the players could amass something close to 30 touches each.

Jason King said:
Whats wrong is they are mostly half back cheapies.

Brendon Goddard?

Deledio ran the lines hard which resulted in him linking up and getting many of his possessions in the middle or forward of center so would hardly call them 'cheapies'. DH is playing him there so it's not like Lids has a choice, maybe you should take your queries up with him.

Jason King said:
So its ok to be lazy as long as you have skill? That will make a great footy team! Why not focus on all the negatives, at least try and look to be objective for one.

Don't think Deledio has been lazy recently at all.

tha8ball said:
What worries me is that he is still not the clubs No.1 midfielder. Was drafted to become that player, his first year we all thought that this kid was the answer to our midfield. However, it seems he is unable to shake a tag and the fact he is now playing as a defender makes me think the coaches dont have faith in him as a midfielder either. Sure he racked them up on Sunday at HB, but geez a player of his ilk should playing that role. I feel after 5yrs in the system, he has been a let down purely because of his inability to play in the midfield. Hopefuly with the development of Cotchin and Martin - he will get back in there.

Does it worry the Aints that Goddard plays a similar role and is only a part time mid? He can be just as valuable where he is. Its actually a position that he is ideally suited to.

Jason King said:
So its ok to be lazy

34 touches is lazy? Oh to be that lazy.

Barnzy said:
Brendon Goddard?
Goddard has been playing everywhere this year, alot of time up forward.

Deledio ran the lines hard which resulted in him linking up and getting many of his possessions in the middle or forward of center so would hardly call them 'cheapies'. DH is playing him there so it's not like Lids has a choice, maybe you should take your queries up with him.

Half back dinkys are cheapies in my book. Whilst i understand DH may want a bit of skill from half back, it just seems counter productive to have a star midfielder playing there.

Don't think Deledio has been lazy recently at all.

IanG said:
34 touches is lazy? Oh to be that lazy.

Lazy is too harsh I agree. It was more of a general comment in regards to players with skill being immune to criticism.

Jason King said:
Goddard has been playing everywhere this year, alot of time up forward.

He played 1 game up forward when he kicked 4 or 5 goals, other than that no, he's still playing off half-back.

Jason King said:
Cant all play off half back !

Someone (Deledio) has to be back there that can kick get over 30 posessions to stem the flow.

Barnzy said:
He played 1 game up forward when he kicked 4 or 5 goals, other than that no, he's still playing off half-back.

He plays in the midfield as well. He isnt confined to half back.

IanG said:
Does it worry the Aints that Goddard plays a similar role and is only a part time mid? He can be just as valuable where he is. Its actually a position that he is ideally suited to.

Not when they have Dal Santo, Montagna and Hayes.

Deledios' tackle count was ordinary on Sunday, only one in the last few minutes. But in a game where I would think a few players probably 'saved' themselves, I wouldn't be too harsh. Wouldn't want the trend to continue though ...

Rnd 1 6tackles
Rnd 2 2tackles
Rnd 3 5tackles
Rnd 4 1 tackle
Rnd 5 1 tackle
Rnd 6 1 tackle