Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Leppa returned after a stint away. Ego and pig headedness probably a good trait for a head coach. Had a poor year and many of the match committee selections were baffling. But 3 flags gets you a truck load of tickets so he will be around for a few years yet.
Ego yeah, pigg headedness, not so much I reckon. How long did it take for Aarts and George to get dropped? How long did it take him to get past the "corona virus fine, what are all these *smile* rules about????" thing? Hardwick was great with the "connection" thing, and bringing the group together, but I'm just not sold on him tbh and reckon the assistants had a truckload to do with our awesome successes. This off-season and 2022 will be pretty interesting to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
One of the other aspectsd of this putrid 'standing' rule is that a high pressure team has to be able to turn off all natural instincts to apply pressure and stand like a statue while an opponent runs past them, then turn in back on again.

Imagine doing that for 120 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it time to blow the dust off dimmas original stop, start, stoppage game plan. Possess, reset, possess, reset. It was not pretty, but may just work with current rules
Was driven by a younger Cotchin & Martin but had valuable contested ball winners like Tuck (god bless him) & Jackson. The Hardwick game plan of 2013-2015 is far better suited to these new rules.

I'd love us to give Daisy Pearce a go as an assistant.

she has a great footy mind and is very cool.

im gonna write to Peggy right now.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
A couple of new assistants is just what the Doctor ordered. All long term coaches benefit from the injection of new ideas and philosophies, especially when they have the skills to blend them with the old thinking that served them so well.

Chances are, we can afford at least one new assistant. If Kingsley gets the Collingwood job, then two. An experienced assistant from another club that has enjoyed recent success and a player straight out of retirement for me. Clarkson and Burgoyne- how good would that be?

Reactions: 1 user
Complementary skill sets. Clarkson and Ratten worked because of this.

Clarkson will want to set himself up for his next big coaching stint. Going straight to another team as head coach would be a mistake. Malthouse failed at Carlton because:

a. he was still grieving at losing his job at Collingwood and
b. he just tried to implement everything he thought was going to work because it already had.

Clarkson brings the gameplan stuff which Hardwick needs and Hardwick gives Clarkson the chance to learn from the only coach in the system that he respects as a peer.

I get it though. The two bulls thing would not be good.

Clarkson will want to set himself up for his next big coaching stint. Going straight to another team as head coach would be a mistake. Malthouse failed at Carlton because:

b. he just tried to implement everything he thought was going to work because it already had.

Clarkson brings the gameplan stuff which Hardwick needs and Hardwick gives Clarkson the chance to learn from the only coach in the system that he respects as a peer.

Is it to late for Dimma to be nuted?

For his critics , can we imagine how pumped we’d be if we came off the season we’ve just had and recruited the Coach who’d just won 3 of 4 Premierships

• Haha

Nope, Clarkson will never take an assistant role. Why would he?

He's in demand, he can walk into a senior role, or he can take a year off and walk into a senior role.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, Clarkson will never take an assistant role. Why would he?

He's in demand, he can walk into a senior role, or he can take a year off and walk into a senior role.
Maybe not, I’m only speculating. It is a long shot at best.

Does Clarkson want the Collingwood job? Maybe but he will have to deal with a dysfunctional Board and the looming shadow of Eddie McG. Does he want the Carlton job? The Board is even worse there. Does he want to replace Stuart Dew who is one of his many protégés in a senior job? He seems too loyal to do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Even when we’re playing well this year I found it almost unbearable to watch the Shocking STANNNNND rule. It was a huge blight on the game last night when players stood with hands in the air asking why can the kicker stand metres to the side of the mark line and then run off while waiting for an umpire to call play on seconds later. Thank the Lord that Shocking is returning to the cat coup before he completely stuffed the game.
And that's the bit I'll never understand! All the talk, before that start of the season was the player with the ball in line with the man on the Mar, a la kicking for goal.........I guess that interpretation changed. And in the case of last night......being able to make contact with an opponent change too!

Maybe not, I’m only speculating. It is a long shot at best.

Does Clarkson want the Collingwood job? Maybe but he will have to deal with a dysfunctional Board and the looming shadow of Eddie McG. Does he want the Carlton job? The Board is even worse there. Does he want to replace Stuart Dew who is one of his many protégés in a senior job? He seems too loyal to do that.

Agree on Dew, he's safe for now. Collingwood or Carlton, tough choice. Maybe sit out for a year

Agree completely that new assistants are needed for 2022.
Dimma might be a great people manager/motivator but I think his tactical acumen is limited. I believe Benny, Balmy and Peggy understood this and surrounded him with the likes of Carracella, McRae and Leppa. As a group they were a pretty awesome and complete package.

I'm not suggesting that Dimma has ridden on their coat tails but that coaching groups success was the product of the sum of its parts, not one man's exceptional leadership. Dimma needs assistants with those types of skill sets around him again if we are to 'bounce' back into contention again next season.

Rutten watched this happen and is trying to build the same sort of team around him. Caracella going to Essendon was Rutten's best work to date and he is already reaping the benefits of Blake's tactical nouse.

Reactions: 5 users
The assistant coach support is not there nor Mrs Hardwick so he is effectively coaching on his own. The biggest mistake at the end of last season was not to get fresh blood coaches in when Leppa and McRae left

Reactions: 4 users
The assistant coach support is not there nor Mrs Hardwick so he is effectively coaching on his own. The biggest mistake at the end of last season was not to get fresh blood coaches in when Leppa and McRae left
We couldn’t. We had to strip back $3m from our soft cap. Hence why Leppa and Macrae left.

Fair enough. I hope Dimma bounces back to your criticism the same way Stacky did.
Syd very ordinary last night champ
Went close to AFL record of missed tackles in a game
Have a spell champ

Have a spell champ
Double champed. Thought Stack was ok again although not as good as his coaches votes game against Freo.

Reactions: 3 users
Have a spell champ
You reckon he's no good? He's an elite talent on the way to being an elite player.

It’s like 2016 all over again. Soft cap issues aside we have left Dimma exposed again as the review highlighted at the end of ‘16. But as it’s happened a second time, we must question Dimma’s coaching ability if he isn’t surrounded by footy intellects like Carracella. Both times he is literally the main man in the coaches box things have gone to total crap.

Reactions: 3 users
Dimma took us from the worst team since Fitzroy, a team some were saying wouldn't win a game in 5 years, to 3 Premierships in 4 years.

If they announced a 10 year contract extension for him tomorrow, I might raise an eyebrow, but not two (no, I'm not monobrow either)

FACT!

Reactions: 6 users