Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

The odds are stacked against Dimma coaching a Premiership at a second club.
The last two I can think of are Alan Jeans Saints and Hawks, Ron Barassi Carlton and North.
Edit I forgot about David Parkin Hawthorn and Carlton, Mick Malthouse West Coast and Collingwood.
unlike with us where he had a few years breathing space due to run down nature of the list
the media and football world will focus more on the Gold Coast next year
they will have this trade period to plug gaps so there were wont be many excuses , maybe Salty Scott can help on that front
we saw in Round 0 they can play footy good enough to make their way into the top 8
can they win a flag ? not with the side that went around this year

and Yze is in a not dissimilar position
I can see us , the Tiger supporter base being his biggest critics
there will be some lee way next year but we'd want to see some real promise in the back half of next year
or Port will be posting over their Ken Hinkley knives over to us
we wont be as patient as we were in 2010

Interesting comments here. Dimma got us 3 flags and left under dubious circumstances.For those on Pre that can remember when Tommy Hafey was sacked after delivering 4 flags and a runners up and went to the Pies and took them from spooners to a grand final in his first year,plus two other grand finals before heading off to coach Geelong,then leaving to coach the new Swans team taking four Geelong players with him,suggest to me that Dimma has his work cut out to match our Top Tiger great.
Three other Grand Finals.

I'm starting to wonder if Dimma got the Sun$ job saying he could convince Dusty to come as part of some package deal & it's not happening.
Wouldn't be surprised. I heard he was at the AFL Summit today with Ooze and others. Hopefully Ooze asked/told him a few home truths....

Calling Dimma dogwick is very poor IMO.

Did he do the wrong thing and make bad decisions and mistakes, sure, have any of us perhaps had a few tough years and not been perfect and made mistakes?.

I didnt like how he left either, or taking Daniel but he busted his chops for 14 years and gave us 3 flags ending a 37 year drought.

Whilst he is active in AFL at another club I wont be highly supportive but equally i am thankful and appreciative of his contributions.

We all praise and worship the Chimp, his leadership and values, in his book which i have read he touches on Dimmas mistakes etc, do you think he would approve and think its acceptable or even funny to call him dogwick?.

Each to their own Jack but i think its very poor.
I understand that calling Damien Hardwick "Dogwick" offends some RFC fans, Tigertough1974. It's not my primary aim to offend. Just to publicly observe that Damien Hardwick's path from that first regrettable moment was clear.

Damien Hardwick walked out on RFC to go to Port Adelaide or GCS. That was abundantly clear at the time. And IMO still is.

I have called him that for a year or more because I have thought he was unaccountable. And that there was no acknowledgement of the damage that he'd done.

Dimma was booed at when he appeared on screen in the final round. Not by everybody but once the booing started the camera moved off him quickly. Or it would have been more and then perhaps a resounding cheer from those who disapproved of the booing.

It's a shame they didn't keep the camera on him. It was diplomatic not to let all voices be heard. The booers and the ones who certainly would have cheered in support of Hardwick. Had it not been Dustin Martin's day.

Dimma probably knew he would be booed but IMO shunned the camera because it was Dusty's day. Not his. Martin brought the camera to Hardwick. Not the other way around.

I liked the moment because I thought it showed that Hardwick knew he would be offside with at least the vocal of the RFC faithful. He was, at last, accountable, if only for a second in public.

If Dimma was good to RFC it doesn't give him a free shot *smile* up. The forces are in tension. There's not need to resolve them.

Hardwick changed jobs. How he did it doesn't matter. If it was just a job when he changed it, it was just a job when he succeeded in it. And how he did it doesn't matter.

FWIW your rebuke of my Dogwick naming is timely. I think he did the crime and he's done his time. I didn't mean to offend you, Tt, and other loyal Richmond lovers but I can't just let the Hardwick PR machine tell us the stuff that is all over our faces is chocolate ice cream. It's a bit too savoury.

And finally, more so than even life, football is just a stage. And all the football full of players. Who walk and fret and strut no more. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

Reactions: 5 users
I understand that calling Damien Hardwick "Dogwick" offends some RFC fans, Tigertough1974. It's not my primary aim to offend. Just to publicly observe that Damien Hardwick's path from that first regrettable moment was clear.

Damien Hardwick walked out on RFC to go to Port Adelaide or GCS. That was abundantly clear at the time. And IMO still is.

I have called him that for a year or more because I have thought he was unaccountable. And that there was no acknowledgement of the damage that he'd done.

Dimma was booed at when he appeared on screen in the final round. Not by everybody but once the booing started the camera moved off him quickly. Or it would have been more and then perhaps a resounding cheer from those who disapproved of the booing.

It's a shame they didn't keep the camera on him. It was diplomatic not to let all voices be heard. The booers and the ones who certainly would have cheered in support of Hardwick. Had it not been Dustin Martin's day.

Dimma probably knew he would be booed but IMO shunned the camera because it was Dusty's day. Not his. Martin brought the camera to Hardwick. Not the other way around.

I liked the moment because I thought it showed that Hardwick knew he would be offside with at least the vocal of the RFC faithful. He was, at last, accountable, if only for a second in public.

If Dimma was good to RFC it doesn't give him a free shot *smile* up. The forces are in tension. There's not need to resolve them.

Hardwick changed jobs. How he did it doesn't matter. If it was just a job when he changed it, it was just a job when he succeeded in it. And how he did it doesn't matter.

FWIW your rebuke of my Dogwick naming is timely. I think he did the crime and he's done his time. I didn't mean to offend you, Tt, and other loyal Richmond lovers but I can't just let the Hardwick PR machine tell us the stuff that is all over our faces is chocolate ice cream. It's a bit too savoury.

And finally, more so than even life, football is just a stage. And all the football full of players. Who walk and fret and strut no more. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

No worries Jack and appreciate your reply.

Loving RFC comes in different flavors and i understand that from my mother who was a fanatical tiger taking me to games from 4 years old. It is clear how much you and everyone on this forum love the tigers.

Sometimes we agree to disagree and thats fine mate.

I'm starting to wonder if Dimma got the Sun$ job saying he could convince Dusty to come as part of some package deal & it's not happening.
It sounds a little on the far fetched side.
Dimma is the 2nd best coach of his time, with clarkson in front (and his legacy is at a cross roads next season).
And Dimma was the newer better version capable of turning a club around.

The GC know they have talented players. They needed a coach.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds a little on the far fetched side.
Dimma is the 2nd best coach of his time, with clarkson in front (and his legacy is at a cross roads next season).
And Dimma was the newer better version capable of turning a club around.

The GC know they have talented players. They needed a coach.
I disagree that Dimma was at that level of coach. IMO he was a part of the best team. Hardwick, Benny, (Balme?), and Peggy formed the best team the comp has seen for many a year, Hardwick was fortunate enough to be onboard the Tiggy train at that time.

Not saying he wasn't a VERY important part of the equation, just that IMO it was the perfect storm, which is what was essential to our great club breaking the huge premiership drought.

I disagree that Dimma was at that level of coach. IMO he was a part of the best team. Hardwick, Benny, (Balme?), and Peggy formed the best team the comp has seen for many a year, Hardwick was fortunate enough to be onboard the Tiggy train at that time.

Not saying he wasn't a VERY important part of the equation, just that IMO it was the perfect storm, which is what was essential to our great club breaking the huge premiership drought.
2016 has a horrible year for the Tigers and the media was saying he was going to be sacked. Dimma was meant to have appeared on Footy Classifieds but couldn’t do it so Benny Gale stepped in.
Club backed him during the bad times and changed everything around him so he and the club to succeed.

To me, the way Dimma left was a low point. Once the good times were over he was out.

Reactions: 1 user