Can't wait til we play the Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can't wait til we play the Crows

Barnzy said:
They did draft well without noticeably tanking I'll give them that but they also got their best player and the best player in the comp (Ablett) from a father son as well as Scarlett (their best defender and one of the best ever) as well as a few others from father sons. It's a bit different and not many clubs get that lucky thus they have to take full advantage of the drafting system.

Geelong also has an interstate like fortress home ground advantage, something that as a MCG tenant we just don't have. True that won't win you a premiership in itself, but it sure as hell will help you win enough home and away matches to compete in September. It's no accident that the last in decade with the exception of a 'tanking' Hawthorn no Melbourne Club has won a premiership.

23.21.159 said:
Was it Neil Craig who said they don't worry all that much about the draft? They just concentrate on the development of whoever they end up with.

And look where they are now!

Adelaide haven't missed making the Final 8 in a very very long time.

It was around this time last year that Craig re-invented them.

Baloo said:
Like I said, I can't understand someone who wants the club they support to lose. It's such a foreign concept to me that sometimes I think people can't really be serious.

Maybe it's because I'm a fairly competitive person myself and always busted a gut to win when I played sport.

For every Melbourne you throw up, I'll give you a Geelong.

I think you also have an unrealistic and short-term attitude.

Tanking is/was not about setting out to lose it's about planning for the future. It's about playing kids, playing players in different positions, resting those with niggles etc etc. It provides/provided the benefit of AFL experience to those that may otherwise have not been tried as well as better selections in the main tool for imrpovement - the ND. Now if the kids actually won some games you would be happy that they exceeded expectations. The reality is when you play kids you are very likely to lose ala Richmond circa 2010.

Big Cat Lover said:
I think you also have an unrealistic and short-term attitude.

Tanking is/was not about setting out to lose it's about planning for the future. It's about playing kids, playing players in different positions, resting those with niggles etc etc. It provides/provided the benefit of AFL experience to those that may otherwise have not been tried as well as better selections in the main tool for imrpovement - the ND. Now if the kids actually won some games you would be happy that they exceeded expectations. The reality is when you play kids you are very likely to lose ala Richmond circa 2010.
Are you serious?The only true benefit from tanking is the belief that it ultimately leads to premiership glory.Nothing else.A cop out.

gold1 said:
Melbourne no flag for decades,Carlton 3 spoons and a win loss ratio worse than ours since 2001,Hawks,yea won a flag,Saints 1966,yea the tank works.Ask Geelong,Sydney,West coast,Adelaide,Port Adelaide,and oh yea Brisbane.It works.

Let's see, Melbourne going gangbusters after the tank with an excellent young list. Carlton having played finals last year and having thrashed Geelong last Monday (who just happened to be last years premiers) after the tank. Um Hawthorn winning the premiership (yeah you conceded that one) after the tank. St Kilda playing five out of six of the last final series including last years grand final after the tank (and were unlucky to lose).

Compare that to Richmond...

And strangely all the non-tank clubs you've nominated, not a single one is a Melbourne one? Is it just possible that they have advantages that make the necessity for them to tank not as great as ours?

For the record no one that advocates tanking can guarantee a premiership (which seems to be tired predictable argument that the anti-tankers put forward), just as those opposed to tanking can't promise a premiership by winning at all costs and a culture of excellence (although they never seem to feel they need to do that when they argue their points). What it's about is accepting and not fighting how the system works, recognising the fact that Melbourne clubs have had and continue to have disadvantages compared to the non-Melbourne sides, and putting together a list that can string together the sustained finals campaigns that are needed to hopefully eventually win a premiership. I'll take that any day over the mid-table hell which the ant-tankers don't seem to mind, where the best you can ever look forward to is scraping into the finals once every few years (and of course exiting just as quickly). Again tanking works although ironically we're so bad at the moment we don't even need to. Again pity about the parasites from up North plundering the draft.

Tygrys said:
Let's see, Melbourne going gangbusters after the tank with an excellent young list. Carlton having played finals last year and having thrashed Geelong last Monday (who just happened to be last years premiers) after the tank. Um Hawthorn winning the premiership (yeah you conceded that one) after the tank. St Kilda playing five out of six of the last final series including last years grand final after the tank (and were unlucky to lose).

Compare that to Richmond...

And strangely all the non-tank clubs you've nominated, not a single one is a Melbourne one? Is it just possible that they have advantages that make the necessity for them to tank not as great as ours?

For the record no one that advocates tanking can guarantee a premiership (which seems to be tired predictable argument that the anti-tankers put forward), just as those opposed to tanking can't promise a premiership by winning at all costs and a culture of excellence (although they never seem to feel they need to do that when they argue their points). What it's about is accepting and not fighting how the system works, recognising the fact that Melbourne clubs have had and continue to have disadvantages compared to the non-Melbourne sides, and putting together a list that can string together the sustained finals campaigns that are needed to hopefully eventually win a premiership. I'll take that any day over the mid-table hell which the ant-tankers don't seem to mind, where the best you can ever look forward to is scraping into the finals once every few years (and of course exiting just as quickly). Again tanking works although ironically we're so bad at the moment we don't even need to. Again pity about the parasites from up North plundering the draft.
Now it is eveyone elses. fault.Plundering the draft.etc.Look we have had plenty of draft picks that have come to nothing.Bad recruiting,and not looking for players outside the draft.For instance, there is a kid playing down Warrnambool way,has kicked 100 goals each season for the last three years.Aged 21.Put him on the rookie list and play him.Now that is smart.No tanking required.

Gold Coast Tiger said:
Just had a look at the games this week when looking to do my tips, and noticed for the first time Adelaides percentage really is bad.
Yea, I know ours is worse, but geez, if they didn't get so close to Melbourne in Round 3, they'd be worse than us.
I can't wait till we play them in Round 7, beat the crap out of them on their home ground and get off the bottom
Then we'd have all the "Garry Lyons" of the world, giving them heaps instead of us.
Hopefully will give the kids in the team a bit of satisfaction, maybe, just maybe, some confidence too
GCT Crows can't wait 'til they play us...

Big Cat Lover said:

I don't disagree with you. If we put in the kids with an eye to the future then I am all for it as long as the coaching staff and players on game day coach and play with every intention of winning the game. But to deliberately play players out of position or to pull them off the field to ensure they can't manufacture a win is something I can't understand, appreciate or ever want to see at my club.

Same with the tanking brigade who think we should deliberately lose matches and do whatever it takes to manufacture a loss. Don't understand them. Quite frankly I think we as a club could do without them.

I was rapt Sanchez slotted the goal after the siren to give us a win. Really rapt we won the game. Did I give a toss that it handed Melbourne Pick #2 ? Not at all. We won that game, that's all that matters to me on game day.

Baloo said:
I was rapt Sanchez slotted the goal after the siren to give us a win. Really rapt we won the game. Did I give a toss that it handed Melbourne Pick #2 ? Not at all. We won that game, that's all that matters to me on game day.

As it is for all who play the game...........

Baloo said:
I don't disagree with you. If we put in the kids with an eye to the future then I am all for it as long as the coaching staff and players on game day coach and play with every intention of winning the game. But to deliberately play players out of position or to pull them off the field to ensure they can't manufacture a win is something I can't understand, appreciate or ever want to see at my club.

Same with the tanking brigade who think we should deliberately lose matches and do whatever it takes to manufacture a loss. Don't understand them. Quite frankly I think we as a club could do without them.

You are right, that win has really lifted the club and seen Sanchez go to another level with his career. And look at the depression it has created at Melb - a win/win if ever I've seen one. Oh and those end of season wins in 2008, they really created that winning culture. Yes, the management of our progress has been extremely well handled.

I want my club to do everything in it's power to assemble the best playing list possible. If this means we lose some games by playing a kid instead of a Sanchez then I can see the long term benefit. If we try and play kids in different positions and we lose a game then so be it. If the kid has gathered some valuable experience in the process its a bigger benefit. Of course you do not wanting them instructing players not to try and I think all players try their guts out when on the field, but was i doing cart wheels when sanchez kicked that goal - no. Meaningless win that has had absolutely zero long-term benefits, other than making us look like a laughing stock for the over the top celebrations after the win.

Like I said, I try, but I just can't understand anyone who isn't happy with Richmond winning a game of football. It is, when you strip everything away, the core reason why we're all here. To win games of football.

Baloo said:
Like I said, I try, but I just can't understand anyone who isn't happy with Richmond winning a game of football. It is, when you strip everything away, the core reason why we're all here. To win games of football.
W

Baloo said:

I'm happy that you are satisfied with mediocrity. You must believe we can move up the ladder with simple tweaks to the game plan and list. Would be nice to visit your planet some time, I'm sure it's always sunny.

Big Cat Lover said:
I'm happy that you are satisfied with mediocrity. You must believe we can move up the ladder with simple tweaks to the game plan and list. Would be nice to visit your planet some time, I'm sure it's always sunny.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion BCL. Like many pro-tankers you assume people against the tank are flower sniffers who can't see reality. But go ahead and play the man, it's the classic darksider move when struggling.

Adelaide have a St.Kilda-like hold over us. Copped plenty a hiding from them at Footy Park over the past few years.

May both be 0-5 (and possibly 0-6 going into that game) but at this point in time, Adelaide have a better side than we do.

They will beat us very, very easily.