Brownlow 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brownlow 2015

Having said this, Fyfe is one of the most deserving winners in the past decade.
[/quote]

Apart from the fact that the MRP doctored its findings so that he wouldn't be suspended and embarrass the AFL. Should have at least been suspended for the kick tackle on the Bulldogs player.

But no doubt he was the BEST player over the course of the year.

lukeanddad said:
It is a real shame that this award has become a midfielder's award in the past two decades. Even rucks are largely ignored. That means roughly two thirds of the competition are 'ineligible'.

Our own Alex and Jack were so good this year - and no doubt there are many others who polled poorly.

I guess midfielders spend more time under the umps' noses, but it would be great if the AFL could find a way to make this award more meaningful. Perhaps the reserve ump plays a larger role.

Is pretty simple I reckon, take the voting away from the Umps. Who knows, with that off their mind(s) they may do a better job of making correct calls... win/ win

BluesBloke said:
Judd's Mrs looked a treat again last night.

Hall of famer. She has shown great leadership qualities over the years. You can see how the young wives and girlfriends lift when she's in the mix. Had a huge influence in terms of plunging, backless dresses that are split to the waist. Some of the young players have really taken the baton with the bust revealing numbers, there were some who I had to look twice to check if they had a dress on. Camera kept panning on to them too for some reason.

Ridley said:

Apart from the fact that the MRP doctored its findings so that he wouldn't be suspended and embarrass the AFL. Should have at least been suspended for the kick tackle on the Bulldogs player.

But no doubt he was the BEST player over the course of the year.

agree. Grant/ McKernan would be rightly pissed off

lukeanddad said:
It is a real shame that this award has become a midfielder's award in the past two decades. Even rucks are largely ignored. That means roughly two thirds of the competition are 'ineligible'.

Our own Alex and Jack were so good this year - and no doubt there are many others who polled poorly.

I guess midfielders spend more time under the umps' noses, but it would be great if the AFL could find a way to make this award more meaningful. Perhaps the reserve ump plays a larger role.

Agree. All those fun polls come up on social media, "Who will poll the most votes from your team?" I was discussing with the Mrs, if I was judging it on who should have the most votes from Richmond, without doubt, I would say Alex Rance. But the reality is, he's never going to poll more than a midfielder like Dusty because of the position he plays. Bugger tradition I say. The umpire voting system is out dated. Should be decided by a panel of respected ex-players/umpires/coaches etc whom are nominated by the clubs or player's association.

lukeanddad said:

Agree on Fyfe (leagues massaging of the suspensions notwithstanding). Agree on Rance and Jack. Especially Rance, whose attacking play from the backline is midfielder like after he wins the ball KPP-like. Umps, they read the script and stick to it.

BrisTiger24 said:
Shows you how stupid the voting system is. Rance is easily in the top handful of players in the comp yet ends up with 8 votes way down the order.

True--should have got way more

*smile* the Brownlow. Couldn't care two sh!ts if any of our players snared it, if we don't win a premiership or at least a couple of finals matches.

Panthera Tigris calm down man!

Of course we would ALL want to be playing Saturday and winning finals and my feeling have been made known re that BUT this is the Brownlow thread and hence we are discussing that!

Perspective!

We are all hurting, angry and VERY disappointed that we are not in it as would Fyfe be!

BluesBloke said:

In the eye of the beholder I guess. I thought she looked like a chandelier and it was one of the worst outfits I've seen her in.

lukeanddad said:

It is not just the Brownlow. All awards are generally won by midfielders. And fair enough, they are usually the best players.

jb03 said:
It is not just the Brownlow. All awards are generally won by midfielders. And fair enough, they are usually the best players.

Alex Rance says hello!

DLR said:
Alex Rance says hello!
Add to that, KPP like Wayne Carey and perhaps even modern day examples like Nick Riewoldt, Lance Franklin & Matthew Pavlich at the peak of their powers?

DLR said:
Alex Rance says hello!

Not sure what your point is. Rance is a great player but won zero media awards. Adding to that, like all backmen he has failed further up the ground.

Really disliked Gill's contrived pausing for suspense during the call, especially games involving Freo and WCE. Just didn't work for mine.

On Fyfe, clearly the best player, but it seems that if you're in contention for Charlie, you'd have to decapitate someone before you get suspended to avoid embarrassment for the AFL on Brownlow night.

We tied for 2nd in total team votes, if only we can win a bloody final now, still heading in the right direction but need to be shrewd over the trade period and not throw away picks for average players.

BluesBloke said:
Scrawny old boiler with chicken legs, that's how Juddy practiced his celebrated chicken leg/wing tackle.

Go Toigs! said:
In the eye of the beholder I guess. I thought she looked like a chandelier and it was one of the worst outfits I've seen her in.
I don't know that she ever dresses that stylishly. She looks like she got dressed in the dark a lot of time when she presents the weather on 9. She has done wonders for the sale of double sided tape, though.