Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers?

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
i know they are extremely talented but are aboriginals worth recruiting given the problems they seem to encounter and the kid gloves they need to be handled with. Cant think of too many aboriginal players who have carved out long trouble free careers with exception of few eg wangnaneen long. They eventually all get homesick or into trouble eg betts lovett taylor hooper sampi cox etc

Definately. If any extra work is involved it is worth it to see them play. Can you not think of any white players who get homesick and want to go home? Mate, the list is a lot bigger than Long and Wangers

no doubt they super talented and great too watch. But generally they are inconsistant, have trouble coping with the rigours and homesick. Other long term gun players/good players of the past not sure. Goodes and o loughlin although they have had some off field dramas. On other hand the negative list can add the krakours justin murphy

can we rename this thread to "Stereotyping 101" ?

Wonder if West Coast thought Judd was worth recruting seeing as how he got homesick and returned to Melbourne?

this thread will lead us to becoming labeled a racist club

PLEASE DELETE IT.

Anthony Rocca left Sydney because he missed Mum's pasta

race has nothing to do with it

shamekha said:

PLEASE DELETE IT.

Agreed. What a ridiculous notion. Heard of David Wirrpunda or Michael Long? What trouble have they caused their clubs. Heard of Brendan Fevola or Martin Pike? Are they aboriginal? What about Ben Cousins or Daniel Chick?

I'm sorry but your entire point is offensive and racist. Hopefully Rosy gets online before the Confidential column finds it.

Probably worded offensively to some, but I do think it is a subject that is worth discussing.

if we talked percentages - I think there may be a trend that is evident.

but we can't discuss it anyway. I think some people get a tad prescious sometimes.

To answer there still worth recruiting if there the best player that fits the need of the club, just like any other.

IMO, any debate around this type of issue should be looking at the age the kids are being drafted, not their race or background.

The fact is, the draft system currently focusses on 17 and 18 year olds who in many cases are uprooted from their support networks and sent to other parts of the country to play AFL football, a very demanding sport. To me, that is a recipe for any player having trouble copping, let alonge a kid who might come from a different cultural background.

I, for one, would like to see the system changed. Maybe something like clubs being able to sign one player per year from anywhere in the country (or have zones if you must) who is under the age of 20 at a certain date, but then only be able to draft players older than that at the ND, PSD and rookie draft. The extra few years of experience and maturity might do wonders for how some of these kids adapt to playing AFL football.

Topics as complex as this require carefully researched discussion to avoid unintentional racist remarks. Despite probably good intentions, that isn't going to happen in this thread.

Delete thread before other fans get wind of this and all Richmond supporters get tainted with the one brush.

(please delete asap)

josey said:
Appalling thread.

PRE is better than this.

It is.

Hopefully it gets deleted before someone on Big Footy or another forum makes a thread on how racist Richmond supporters are, with a link to this thread.

shamekha said:

PLEASE DELETE IT.

DELETE DELETE DELETE, VERY QUICKLY PLEASE!
(If they pulled the KFC ad we're on dangerous ground)