Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess?

Ian4 said:
you're kidding aren't you? melboune cup day is the one public holiday that should be scrapped.

You must sit to the right of Genghis Khan and Hitler.

If you could comprehend, you'd understand the point with Cup day is its ability to be all-inclusive,ie, those who want to be involved can be. This is not the case with the AFL GF nor Anzac Day. That's why the AFL should provide the opportunity for the supporters of all clubs to be part of the stand-alone Anzac day game at the MCG

HellsTiger said:
Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? - NO

It should be a reward for the 2 grand finalists, or minor and finals premiers. A reward for being the best. It would be two skillful teams and offer the best of our game as a tribute to the ANZACs.

Yesterdays game was a bore.

So the Grand Finallists are Fremantle and Port Adelaide. How many do you think they'll get at the G? Whether we like it or not, Collingwood and Essendon could be 16th and 15th and they'll still pack the joint.

Yes, it should.

They were the pioneers of the concept, and they deserve the honour.

Just the same as the Dreamtime game belongs to the Dons & us.

You wouldn't want anyone else pinching that from us, would you?

Phantom said:
Yes, it should.

No it was first done in S.A. Sturt and someone played, it was the replay of the grand final

Phantom said:
Yes, it should.

silly me. i thought the concept came from return servicewomen and servicemen.
but no its a day to honour the dons and pies.

Brodders17 said:

I'm glad we've got that sorted out.

Now, are there any others out there who would like another club to poach the Dreamtime game from us?

Phantom said:
Now, are there any others out there who would like another club to poach the Dreamtime game from us?

I couldn't care less really. I'm sick of the AFL's gimmicks and manufactured draws. They don't even pretend to try and make it a level playing field for all teams any more.

Keep the RFC away from Anzac day as their Benny Hill style of football is an embarrassment to the anzac day spirit.
If these duds were in the trenches we would all be eating sushi for breakfast!!!

Phantom said:
I'm glad we've got that sorted out.

Disregarding the fact that if Essendon or Richmond dropped out it would mean the colours would be out of whack (the Aboriginal flag is fundamental to the idea), I have never heard any club supporter actually caring about it or wanting it. ANZAC Day and Dreamtime are not in the same league, the later is just another pissy little concept or cup between two clubs. And again what was in the forefront of Collingwood and Essendons thinking, honouring the ANZAC spirit, or securing a monopoly and milking a cash cow? Pretty obvious I would have thought.

Brodders17 said:
Exactly, Brodders. And that's the main point.

Phantom said:
Yes, it should.

Spot on.

The only issue I have with Anzac Day is the amount of money the clubs are giving to the ANZAC casue. Francis Leech made a rare good point on SEN.

Phantom said:
Yes, it should.

You suprise me, but you're entitled to your view. How can Dreamtime be compared to Anzac Day?

Another point of interest is the Anzac medal awarded. How can it be taken seriously if it can only be awarded to an Essendon or Collingwood player? It's not worth a pinch of goats droppings as it stands.

I would actually support the Pies and Dons having this more it if wasn't for the attitude

hearing Eddie saying "we own ANZAC Day" or their supporters saying "it was us who made us make ANZAC Day important again" is what pisses me off about the whole thing

ANZAC Day has nothing to do with a bloody footy game. For me its about remembering my great uncle who died with the light horse, or my pop who did his bit in New Guinea. Its not special because Travis Cloke took a mark.

Both clubs do a good job, but if they think they are the day, its time for a change.