Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess?

Good post for discussion. Personally I'm against the idea of Essendon and Collingwood 'owning' this day. As many have pointed out it's a day for all Australians not just those 2 clubs. It also p*sses me off big time that Essendon and Collingwood earn the right to wear the ANZAC emblem on their guernseys and play for the ANZAC Cup & win an ANZAC medal as the best player on ground or whatever it is. All clubs should have the opportunity to play for this. And why is it that on the ANZAC weekend round all clubs don't wear the ANZAC emblem given most if not all of the club have had players who have served with the Australian defense forces.

Perhaps it should be the 2 grand finalists or the top 2 Victorian teams playing each other? I'm not sure but it does need to change. These clubs get to target sponsors and potential players on the basis they get to play the ANZAC game on the biggest day of the year with no competition. Talk about a massive disadvantage to the other 14, soon to be 15 clubs. Maybe it's the day State of Origin should be played or if at sometime in the future as the competition grows and 2 conferences are created, a representative team from each conference plays each other.

se7en said:
Don't forget our blue collar working class game (what ever it is called) against North.
I'm sure plenty of clubs are envy of that game

:hihi :hihi

The Eureka game. What a contrived load of garbage that is. More evidence that Sheedy has totally lost plot.

Ridley said:

The Eureka game. What a contrived load of garbage that is. More evidence that Sheedy has totally lost plot.

Agree Riddler. We might as well make every game in the season some sort of cup/award match.

2014 - GWS v Western Bulldogs for the Westies Cup. ;D

Ridley said:

That's it! ;D
Yeah, Sheedy was running out of idea's at that stage.

Maybe we can invent the daylight saving game next year against Brisbane.

se7en said:
That's it! ;D
Yeah, Sheedy was running out of idea's at that stage.

Maybe we can invent the daylight saving game next year against Brisbane.

Or Brisbane can play West Coast in the "Anti Daylight Saving Cup" :hihi

Ridley said:
Or Brisbane can play West Coast in the "Anti Daylight Saving Cup" :hihi

Adelaide v West Coast for the Nullarbor Cup.
Sydney v Brisbane for the Anti - NRL Cup.
Richmond v Melbourne for the MCG Cup.
Carlton v Collingwood for the Ego Cup.
Richmond v West Coast for the Cuz Cup.

No... it was originally a game between Essendon and Carlton IIRC. No thoughts on how it should look, but interested in the debate nonetheless!

TigerForce said:
Could even get Berlei onboard to sponsor, TF. Think of the "exposure" :hihi

Total Tiger said:
Blind Freddy may have seen it, but Essendon and Collingwood actually did something about it. We had 70-odd Anzac days before anyone did something significant with the day and as soon as it was a success, the other clubs cry because they want a share of the kitty. Well they all (including Richmond) had their chances over many, many years. They should all stop whinging and actually market something themselves.

I think you've missed the point. If the spirit of the ANZAC was one of the monopoly, the have's as distinct from the havenot's, the power of one as distinct from "touch one touch all" ethic; then this country would be called the U S of *smile*ing A (mind you we're going that way at 100 miles per hour, unfortunantely).

If the younger generations, particularly those in Victoria, have had the profile of Anzac Day raised by the Collingwood Essendon matches over the last 15 years then that's fantastic and a credit to both clubs. AND, if this spirit is to be spread to as many people as possible (something I'm sure the original ANZAC's would have wanted), then it's time for the AFL (which, coincidentally, see themselves as the setters of the social agenda these days) to show the way and allow the supporters of ALL clubs the opportunity to experience this spirit.

Total Tiger said:
Let them have Anzac day. Before Sheeds turned it into what it is today, it was just another public holiday to play games on. They've invested the time to promote the day, let them have it. We wouldn't like another club to take the Dreamtime game, so we shouldn't be hypocritical.
Dreamtime is just a regular Saturday night match at the G, we get the same crowd to that as we would for any game against Essendon at the G on Saturday night. The significance of Richmond & Essendon playing is the colour of both teams jumpers make up the colours of the Aboriginal flag. Kind of loses its meaning if other teams play.

Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? - NO

It should be a reward for the 2 grand finalists, or minor and finals premiers. A reward for being the best. It would be two skillful teams and offer the best of our game as a tribute to the ANZACs.

Yesterdays game was a bore.

We had an ANZAC night clash last year against the roos. First one in a long time. I miss the bugler playing the Last Post. The minute silence (which isn't a minute anymore, more like 25 seconds, and even then there are morons who want to be heard across the ground :mad: ). Standing and paying silent respect to the fallen and those who fought. Wasn't a big crowd, but I remember other ANZAC Day clashes we were involved in. The crowd were involved at the start. Playing the Last Post and other activities on other days of the weekend isn't the same.
So, no. It shouldn't 'belong' to those 2 clubs.

Jack said:
They say it is the biggest home and away game of the year.

Rubbish.

It is the biggest event of the home and away season, but not the biggest game.

I like the idea of the game being between the previous years grand finalist ( or the 2 highest ranked Victorian sides )

It is then more rewards for the best teams and the best players. Players like Ablett deserve the chance to play on Anzac day.

Can you imagine if this years game was Geel v St.K. One loss between them before the game and the 2 best teams going head to head.

It would then truely be the biggest game of the home and away season and a game everyone would be very keen to watch.

Agree with this Jack. All players from all clubs should get the opportunity to play on such an auspicious day.

TigerForce said:

You forgot Saints v Bulldogs for the...."We only have one cup, cup!" :)

tiger12 said:
For me, the single biggest day (particularly in Victoria) is Melbourne Cup day. Because on this day everyone who WANTS to be a part of the day CAN be.

you're kidding aren't you? melboune cup day is the one public holiday that should be scrapped.

maverick said:
I don't watch the Collingwood v Essendon ANZAC day match on principle - they shouldn't own this day.

completely agree and i also boycott watching the game on principle. makes me sick to the stomach that the "anzac medal" and "anzac cup"can only go to a collingwood or essendon player. i also don't buy the "we started it first" argument. north melbourne started friday night footy didn't they?

but if all parties involve refuse to budge on this, then let collingwood and essendon have anzac day as long as we can have good friday :fing32

HellsTiger said:
Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? - NO

It should be a reward for the 2 grand finalists, or minor and finals premiers. A reward for being the best. It would be two skillful teams and offer the best of our game as a tribute to the ANZACs.

Yesterdays game was a bore.

What he said. :clap :clap :clap :clap

ZeroGame said:
Dreamtime is just a regular Saturday night match at the G, we get the same crowd to that as we would for any game against Essendon at the G on Saturday night. The significance of Richmond & Essendon playing is the colour of both teams jumpers make up the colours of the Aboriginal flag. Kind of loses its meaning if other teams play.

Reckon the Dreamtime concept is worth an extra ~10,000 through the gate.