Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anzac Day. Does it belong to Coll & Ess?

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
With all the debate on this topic, it's timely to get our 2 bobs worth.

Firstly, ANZAC day belongs to ALL Australians and New Zealanders. The spirit of the Anzac is the spirit of the fair go, the underdog, mateship, the common goal.

As a 1st generation Australian, the country I was born in has nothing to do with the Anzac's. Other then having respect for my elders and those who put their lives on the line for their country, which I do 365 days a year, Anzac day itself means nothing to me. I suppose I could attend a dawn service. I could attend the march. I chose not to because the day itself is not that important to me, without wanting to be disrespectful in any way. However, given the spirit of Anzac day on display at the MCG, why can't others like me who are proud Australians but do not support either Collingwood or Essendon, be given the opportunity to experience this spirit through my football team? After all, the Anzac's put their lives on the line for us all.

Mike Sheahan's suggestion of playing the highest ranked Victorian teams from the previous year on Anzac Day is full of merit. All teams can earn the right, unlike Collingwood and Essendon who believe they are born with the right.

Anyone who thinks others can't sell out Anzac day is living with their head in the sand. Richmond and Carlton sold out round 1 on a Thursday night off the back of 15th and 16th the previous year. Sure there were some exception circumstances, but you'd lay London to a brick these 2 teams would sell out Anzac Day. In time we should be able to earn the right to play on this stage.

For me, the single biggest day (particularly in Victoria) is Melbourne Cup day. Because on this day everyone who WANTS to be a part of the day CAN be. This cannot be said of AFL grand final day. Sure you can watch the game, but if your team is not playing it's not the same. The same goes for Anzac day. It's time the AFL and Collingwood and Essendon opened their eyes to the bigger picture and allow ALL Australians (in Victoria at least) the opportunity to experience this Anzac spirit that is so often spoken of.

You raise some good points T12.
We should be commemorating what ANZAC Day stands for, its all about the day itself.
The afl have done a great job in raising the profile for all Australians and NZers to commemorate.
While plenty of plaudits have been directed at essendon/Sheedy and collingwood/Allen for their roles, other clubs have previously played on ANZAC Day. I think from memory we played collingwood in the 70's and drew 92,000.
While our on-field exploits have certainly declined over the past "few" years we have demonstrated that we can attract healthy crowds still.

It should not just be about 2 clubs, that are guaranteed an absolute financial windfall each year, regardless of their position on the ladder.
I believe there are worthy arguments for sharing this day.
Whether its the previous years Grand Finalists or the top 2 Victorian teams is up for debate.
If the afl is serious about commemorating ANZAC Day and not just grabbing the cash it should be changed so all clubs/payers can have the opportunity to take part.

I don't watch the Collingwood v Essendon ANZAC day match on principle - they shouldn't own this day. I presume it has been opened up to other games in the past few years due to ANZAC day falling on a weekend but will they continue this once it is back on a weekday?

Let them have Anzac day. Before Sheeds turned it into what it is today, it was just another public holiday to play games on. They've invested the time to promote the day, let them have it. We wouldn't like another club to take the Dreamtime game, so we shouldn't be hypocritical.

Total Tiger said:
Let them have Anzac day. Before Sheeds turned it into what it is today, it was just another public holiday to play games on. They've invested the time to promote the day, let them have it. We wouldn't like another club to take the Dreamtime game, so we shouldn't be hypocritical.

By the same token though wasn't it North Melbourne who pioneered Friday night football so shouldn't they get most of them?

Total Tiger said:

I actually agree with this. I'd also add that by having these two teams play, you are always going to have a game that will capture the public's interest as a tribute to the ANZACs. Toibe honest, The Bulldogs and Saints could be undefeated and on top of the ladder but I wouldn't be as interested in the game if it was Collingwood and Essendon no matter where they are on the ladder.

However, I think the AFL needs to step in now and look at the marketability of other games set around themes or certain dates. Every club should have a game like this once in the season, preferably against the same opponent everytime.

Personally, I think the AFL should now reserve the first game of the season for a Tigers-Blues clash. I'd be prepared to lose the Dreamtime game for this. The Dockers should get the Len Hall tribute game every year (and preferably against the same opponent) and the AFL should look to give a game to all the other clubs.

I am still amazed that the Lions and Swans haven't come up with their own version of State of Origin given the passion it engenders in RL. Maybe they could work out a 4 way concept once GC and WS are on board.

Will be interesting to hear if certain media persons will start a call for Essendon to be removed from ANZAC Day given that they were thrashed yeaterday. Or is that only reserved for Richmond.

Whatever we do with this match, we need to restore perspective about what this day (not the football match) is about.

* It IS about honouring the bravery of those who have fallen in protection of our country.
* It ISN'T about football, not is it about drawing vague comparisons between football and battle. It certainly ISN'T about the glorification of Nick Maxwell on every screen and front page as though he has some personal relevance to ANZAC Day.

Until we get this bit right, I'm not surprised that Collingwood and Essendon think they have some ownership of how this day folds out for Australians. Funnily enough, I would have thought these clubs being prepared to make a sacrifice for the other clubs would be far more ANZAC-like than some trumped up photo in your footy gear at The Shrine while thier administrators count the gate receipts and merchandising dollars.

But I'm dreaming I know.

They say it is the biggest home and away game of the year.

Rubbish.

It is the biggest event of the home and away season, but not the biggest game.

I like the idea of the game being between the previous years grand finalist ( or the 2 highest ranked Victorian sides )

It is then more rewards for the best teams and the best players. Players like Ablett deserve the chance to play on Anzac day.

Can you imagine if this years game was Geel v St.K. One loss between them before the game and the 2 best teams going head to head.

It would then truely be the biggest game of the home and away season and a game everyone would be very keen to watch.

Jack said:
They say it is the biggest home and away game of the year.

Rubbish.

It is the biggest event of the home and away season, but not the biggest game.

I like the idea of the game being between the previous years grand finalist ( or the 2 highest ranked Victorian sides )

It is then more rewards for the best teams and the best players. Players like Ablett deserve the chance to play on Anzac day.

Can you imagine if this years game was Geel v St.K. One loss between them before the game and the 2 best teams going head to head.

It would then truely be the biggest game of the home and away season and a game everyone would be very keen to watch.

Completely agree Jack, was listening I think to Francis Leach before the game on SEN and he raised an interesting point, does any of the revenue from the days game find it's way back to the RSL or similar foundation? Surely a percentage of gate receipts be donated if not?

Jezza81 said:
Completely agree Jack, was listening I think to Francis Leach before the game on SEN and he raised an interesting point, does any of the revenue from the days game find it's way back to the RSL or similar foundation? Surely a percentage of gate receipts be donated if not?
I read somewhere that around $40,000 goes to the RSL, Jezza. from approx $1,000,000 gate. So around 4%.
No wonder eddie & co don't want to give it up. Given the gate and the public exposure (free) given to the 2 clubs and their sponsors.

Total Tiger said:

Bulldust!!!

But exactly did they invent? What inspired the collective genius of Collingwood and Essendon to claim this as their own? Blind Freddie could see this was a cash cow in the making as massive crowds did not start with Collingwood and Essendon. To this day Richmond still shares the second highest crowd of 92,436 for an Anzac day clash. So they stratched their collective heads (and behinds) and thought 'duh if we could freeze out everyone else we could make a whole lot of money in exposure, sponosorship etc'. So they got Bruce Ruxton in on the act (who happened to be a Collingwood supporter) and the rest is history. Suddenly Anzac Day is Collingwood-Essendon Day at the G. Some vision, some investment in time, it was money in the bank from day one. They didn't invent anything, they just took something over that was already very very profitable, threw in some stuff on the periphery to justify their monopoly (and in the process claiming it was something radically new) and have been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. To believe in the alturism of Collingwood and Essendon, club and supporters, that it's not about their greed, but it's for betterment of the day, and afterall they 'invented' it, is like believing in the tooth fairy. Time to shut down this closed shop IMO.

Tygrys said:
Bulldust!!!

But exactly did they invent? What inspired the collective genius of Collingwood and Essendon to claim this as their own? Blind Freddie could see this was a cash cow in the making as massive crowds did not start with Collingwood and Essendon. To this day Richmond still shares the second highest crowd of 92,436 for an Anzac day clash. So they stratched their collective heads (and behinds) and thought 'duh if we could freeze out everyone else we could make a whole lot of money in exposure, sponosorship etc'. So they got Bruce Ruxton in on the act (who happened to be a Collingwood supporter) and the rest is history. Suddenly Anzac Day is Collingwood-Essendon Day at the G. Some vision, some investment in time, it was money in the bank from day one. They didn't invent anything, they just took something over that was already very very profitable, threw in some stuff on the periphery to justify their monopoly (and in the process claiming it was something radically new) and have been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. To believe in the alturism of Collingwood and Essendon, club and supporters, that it's not about their greed, but it's for betterment of the day, and afterall they 'invented' it, is like believing in the tooth fairy. Time to shut down this closed shop IMO.

Blind Freddy may have seen it, but Essendon and Collingwood actually did something about it. We had 70-odd Anzac days before anyone did something significant with the day and as soon as it was a success, the other clubs cry because they want a share of the kitty. Well they all (including Richmond) had their chances over many, many years. They should all stop whinging and actually market something themselves.

Let them have it.We have the opener against Carlton,and one day we will attract 100K(just neeed to climb up the ladder a bit).Thinking ahead a little,if we do play in Hobart,and even create a second base,a sellout crowd(albeit a little smaller than at the G)against Hawthorn,and calling it the Tassie Cup game(something like that),would be a rivalry game worth pursuing IMO.

Doesn't worry me Collingwood and Essendon have it.

We have Round One and the Dreamtime game.

At the end of the day ,they are still H and A matches and would attract big crowds anyway.

A day for us to reflect on the Anzac heroes.

hopper said:
Whatever we do with this match, we need to restore perspective about what this day (not the football match) is about.

* It IS about honouring the bravery of those who have fallen in protection of our country.
* It ISN'T about football, not is it about drawing vague comparisons between football and battle. It certainly ISN'T about the glorification of Nick Maxwell on every screen and front page as though he has some personal relevance to ANZAC Day.

Until we get this bit right, I'm not surprised that Collingwood and Essendon think they have some ownership of how this day folds out for Australians. Funnily enough, I would have thought these clubs being prepared to make a sacrifice for the other clubs would be far more ANZAC-like than some trumped up photo in your footy gear at The Shrine while thier administrators count the gate receipts and merchandising dollars.

But I'm dreaming I know.

Great post Hopper

Total Tiger said:
Blind Freddy may have seen it, but Essendon and Collingwood actually did something about it. We had 70-odd Anzac days before anyone did something significant with the day and as soon as it was a success, the other clubs cry because they want a share of the kitty. Well they all (including Richmond) had their chances over many, many years. They should all stop whinging and actually market something themselves.

So closed shops for the stinking rich are ok on the basis of greed if they have rat cunning to claim the monopoly first eh? What a wonderful precedent for coporate and communal governance that would be if it were applied it to society in general. Again did massive crowds attend before Collingwood-Essendon? Would they attend now? Should Anzac day be a show piece for the AFL and broader community generally, or simply for two hypocritical greedy clubs. Amazed that Richmond people here are falling for their crap, again they are laughing all the way to the bank.

last years Anzac clash winner vs last years flag winner. if it's the same team then last years flag winner vs last years flag runner up.

gold1 said:
Let them have it.We have the opener against Carlton,and one day we will attract 100K(just neeed to climb up the ladder a bit).Thinking ahead a little,if we do play in Hobart,and even create a second base,a sellout crowd(albeit a little smaller than at the G)against Hawthorn,and calling it the Tassie Cup game(something like that),would be a rivalry game worth pursuing IMO.

Don't forget our blue collar working class game (what ever it is called) against North.
I'm sure plenty of clubs are envy of that game