Andrew Dillion the new AFL CEO | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Dillion the new AFL CEO

What a poxy load of crap.

But if they going to do it, and scores are tied after extra time, I'd like to see the game decided by the best score at the clowns you put the table tennis balls in their mouth at the show. Take it to the next level.

A “wildcard” round is purely and simply nothing more than a perceived money spinner for the AFL. It is one of the more stupider ideas trotted out , and I don’t say that lightly with the history of stupidity the afl has. Think about it. If it’s a knockout round for teams from 7~10, then it’s probably between 2 teams not good enough to originally make the top 8 against 2 teams who more than likely just scraped into the 8. On top of that, the 6 teams above them get a weeks break to rest and recover from a long season. The ‘winners’ of the ‘wildcard’ round have to win 4 consecutive games without a break to just have a chance to win the flag, keeping in mind they would not have had a break since a mid season bye, whereas the top 6 will have had 2 byes since mid season to manage the players.
Then you also have the unfairness and unevenness of the fixture. To me, the only way I would even think it’s a semi good idea is if the league decides that everyone only plays each other once (then reverse the home games the next season). Less games but means the teams 7~10 won’t be as fatigued going into the finals. As it stands, the grand final would be their 27th game of the season (or 28th if the league are looking to add another H&A game)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Let's do a wildcard round, and conferences, music, lights, and rings for the world series champions.

Reactions: 1 user
A “wildcard” round is purely and simply nothing more than a perceived money spinner for the AFL. It is one of the more stupider ideas trotted out , and I don’t say that lightly with the history of stupidity the afl has. Think about it. If it’s a knockout round for teams from 7~10, then it’s probably between 2 teams not good enough to originally make the top 8 against 2 teams who more than likely just scraped into the 8. On top of that, the 6 teams above them get a weeks break to rest and recover from a long season. The ‘winners’ of the ‘wildcard’ round have to win 4 consecutive games without a break to just have a chance to win the flag, keeping in mind they would not have had a break since a mid season bye, whereas the top 6 will have had 2 byes since mid season to manage the players.
Then you also have the unfairness and unevenness of the fixture. To me, the only way I would even think it’s a semi good idea is if the league decides that everyone only plays each other once (then reverse the home games the next season). Less games but means the teams 7~10 won’t be as fatigued going into the finals. As it stands, they grand final would be their 27th game of the season (or 28th if the league are looking to add another H&A game)
Exactly. There’s almost zero chance of the teams finishing 7 or 8 (or 9 and 10) winning a GF ever again. 5 finals in a row with other teams having a week or two off in that time.
Pointless.
May as well call it the “Broadcasters Revenue Raising Round” then have a final 6.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's do a wildcard round, and conferences, music, lights, and rings for the world series champions.
Love it.

We should rename the Grand Final to
"The SuperPlate"

What do you think Laura? Oh it's brilliant Dill, I can sell this!

Reactions: 1 users
Love it.

We should rename the Grand Final to
"The SuperPlate"

What do you think Laura? Oh it's brilliant Dill, I can sell this!
It’s the AFL, it’d be more something like the “Sportsbet (chances are you’re about to lose) Bowl.”.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Then you also have the unfairness and unevenness of the fixture. To me, the only way I would even think it’s a semi good idea is if the league decides that everyone only plays each other once (then reverse the home games the next season). Less games but means the teams 7~10 won’t be as fatigued going into the finals. As it stands, the grand final would be their 27th game of the season (or 28th if the league are looking to add another H&A game)
Exactly. There’s almost zero chance of the teams finishing 7 or 8 (or 9 and 10) winning a GF ever again. 5 finals in a row with other teams having a week or two off in that time.
Pointless.
May as well call it the “Broadcasters Revenue Raising Round” then have a final 6.
Actually, I just realised it’s worse for teams 7~10 in regards to breaks. I forgot about teams 1-4 get another week off during the finals if they win their first final, so that makes it in theory that if the team finishing on top of the ladder wins their first final, they will have have 3 byes since mid season, whereas the team finishing 10th will have had none. Imagine if they met in a grand final. What’s the greatest winning margin in a GF again? Great advertisement for the game Dill

Actually, I just realised it’s worse for teams 7~10 in regards to breaks. I forgot about teams 1-4 get another week off during the finals if they win their first final, so that makes it in theory that if the team finishing on top of the ladder wins their first final, they will have have 3 byes since mid season, whereas the team finishing 10th will have had none. Imagine if they met in a grand final. What’s the greatest winning margin in a GF again? Great advertisement for the game Dill
3? Only 2 I reckon- "wildcard weekend" & semi finals.

18 teams in the comp n just for revenue raising purposes they now want a 10 team finals system after 22 weeks of competition. Should never ever have expanded the finals eligible teams beyond the top 33% in the first place. Might as well just reduce the comp to 17 rounds so everyone gets to play each other once to establish an actual fair competition and then let every team play in some sort of round robin or knock out finals series based off seasons ladder position to establish the eventual premiers. Everybody gets a chance at the prize rather than just the best few teams after a marathon season of consistency.