2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

I heard that ABC broadcast too, the live pigeon shooting sounded like fun but apparently the injured pigeons and the remains scattered around put people off.

The olympics is a decent sporting circus. I do like track and field, swimming, cycling, fencing is fun, soccer, hockey etc. What gets me is the crap that they introduce in some attempt to make it more modern - I'm sorry but breakdancing? Really? Not a sport. Nothing against breakdancing but it does not belong in the olympics. Tennis and golf I can understand the opposition but at least they are sport.

First olympics I remember watching was Montreal. Great stadium but a bit infamous for Australia - no gold medals :eek: I remember Munich but not sure we had live coverage back then.

I'll be away anyway so we'll see what coverage I can find, maybe less of the ridiculous coverage we get here where it seems only Australia wins medals and then you look at the medal tally and we're way off top spot.

The one thing I will whinge about because we all know it will happen, is the coverage: watch them prattle on about nothing in the studio while 20 sports are going on elsewhere. It *smile* me no end that somehow they think people want to watch some has-beens along with a few never-beens crapping on while we could actually be watching sport, you know, sport, the whole point of the event. They should send over commentators and maybe 2 shifts of 1 person in the studio who can, maybe once an hour, give out info about which sports are coming up and when,

DS
You can get around some of the partisan coverage, David. 9 Now streams about 40 different sports live, from memory in Tokyo 7 did the same thing, and you get an international feed.
I like all the standards like swimming and athletics. I also like watching the hockey. One thing about the Olympics is you can watch sports you don’t ordinarily see. The show jumping can become weirdly addictive.

What a mess in the Arges v Morocco soccer.

Feel like these Olympics will be the biggest clown show ever.

*smile* up after *smile* up. And unsafe on the streets for fans, said it before, Paris is gorgeous but it's a hell hole.

Most unsafe major city I've been to. Would never go back.

Reactions: 1 users
What a mess in the Arges v Morocco soccer.

Feel like these Olympics will be the biggest clown show ever.

*smile* up after *smile* up. And unsafe on the streets for fans, said it before, Paris is gorgeous but it's a hell hole.

Naples would definitely give it a run for its money, as would Barcelona.

Reactions: 1 user
I have zero interest in the Olympics. Maybe the Matilda’s and that’s about it. 25 years ago, I used to know all of our medal hopes in the swimming by name and would get up at all hours to watch the swimming. Now I couldn’t name not one of them. I don't think I'm alone on that.

I am heading to Thailand next week. I’ll be in a slightly better time zone for it and I’m sure the bars will have the games on… so I’m expecting to watch more of the games than I have in recent times.

Been to Paris twice. The first time I thought it was a 5hithole. The second time I loved it. I think it depends on where you stay. The first time was on a Contiki tour… the area was a bit dodgy and the hotel was shocking.

I got robbed on the Barcelona Metro. I am going to Naples next year for 4 nights. I’m trying to convince the misso to cut it to 3 nights. Maybe telling her its unsafe is an argument I can push.

• Haha
And unsafe on the streets for fans, said it before, Paris is gorgeous but it's a hell hole.

Really? I was there in May and didn't feel unsafe at all. In fact travelled to a number of countries and cities and didn't feel unsafe in any of them.

Naples has a bad rep but only went through the train station and airport. Was particularly vigilant at the station but didn't feel unsafe there either.

I'll watch any Olympics sport that's on TV. Like most people, I become an expert with intricate knowledge of all Olympic sports once every 4 years.

The new sport that I found surprisingly enjoyable to watch during the Tokyo Olympics was skateboarding.

Doing some research now on Breakdancing.

I loved Barcelona, never felt unsafe there and was there for their New Years celebrations last year so a massive crowd in the city and never felt unsafe once.

Paris though, was there with my 2 girls when they were younger (it was 2019, they were 11 amd 9) and we went to the Sacre Coeur. The place is littered with African migrants, they immediately isolated the 3 of us, started putting woven bands on our wrists (none of us had engaged with them at all at this point) and then basically demanded being paid for them. Being as I was travelling with the 2 girls, I got my wallet out as who knows what they had, and they just grabbed every bit of cash out of my wallet before I had a chance to say or do anything.

I've heard heaps of stories about this sort of stuff about Paris.

Breakdancing in the Olympics!!!!!!

Spare me.

What'll they have next --- Competitive Tiddlywinks.

• Haha
Breakdancing in the Olympics!!!!!!

Spare me.

What'll they have next --- Competitive Tiddlywinks.
Fire Burn GIF by Magician Edzus
bbc three episode 3 GIF by BBC
200.gif

There are still plenty of options.

I loved Barcelona, never felt unsafe there and was there for their New Years celebrations last year so a massive crowd in the city and never felt unsafe once.

Paris though, was there with my 2 girls when they were younger (it was 2019, they were 11 amd 9) and we went to the Sacre Coeur. The place is littered with African migrants, they immediately isolated the 3 of us, started putting woven bands on our wrists (none of us had engaged with them at all at this point) and then basically demanded being paid for them. Being as I was travelling with the 2 girls, I got my wallet out as who knows what they had, and they just grabbed every bit of cash out of my wallet before I had a chance to say or do anything.

Been to Paris twice, never felt unsafe (even when some scumbag was trying to unzip my back pack!) but I remember when I first when in 2013 and reading up beforehand that the finger tying thing (and someone offering you a flower or getting you to sign a petition) was something to be aware of so as soon as people approached me I just said “no” or as the French say, “no”.

Been to Paris twice, never felt unsafe (even when some scumbag was trying to unzip my back pack!) but I remember when I first when in 2013 and reading up beforehand that the finger tying thing (and someone offering you a flower or getting you to sign a petition) was something to be aware of so as soon as people approached me I just said “no” or as the French say, “no”.

Yeah I think a guy travelling with 2 young kids was like taking candy from a baby for them. They sucked onto us like leaches. When I say they, there were like 5 or 6 surrounding us, ie. 3 tying the wristbands and 3 not sure what they were doing. I was always giving them cash, who knows if they were carrying weapons or not.

I reckon if you travel with a group of adults or by yourself as an adult, its probably easier to avoid them, but they know a single dad by themselves isn't trying to fight his way out of that, with 2 young girls to protect, so families are easy prey for them. Sucks because it takes parts of places to visit away from you.

• Wow

I know it’s the abc but…

Horrific for the young woman. Gang raped by 5 men of African appearance. Supposedly high level of security. You just need to be as careful as you can, maybe travel in a group.

I have zero interest in the Olympics. Maybe the Matilda’s and that’s about it. 25 years ago, I used to know all of our medal hopes in the swimming by name and would get up at all hours to watch the swimming. Now I couldn’t name not one of them. I don't think I'm alone on that.
I'm like that with tennis these days. Don't think I've ever seen Alex DeMinataur play a point. Don't even watch Wimbledon any more.

I'm like that with tennis these days. Don't think I've ever seen Alex DeMinataur play a point. Don't even watch Wimbledon any more.

Same here. Tennis has never been the same since Serve/Volleying went the way of the dodo

Moroccans? Sad to see this city/country develop like this. Too many political issues causing riots.

Really? I was there in May and didn't feel unsafe at all. In fact travelled to a number of countries and cities and didn't feel unsafe in any of them.
Yep hate it. So far we have a gang rape and this below. Feel like these games aren’t going to go well.

Last edited:
  • Sad