2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Might as well get a thread going seeing as the Olympics kick off tonight with the Rugby Sevens.

Favourite event: men's marathon. Love it. Have a while to wait though. Athletics my general favourite.

Thought Tokyo was pretty good. Don't stuff this up France.

Let's get it on.

I was listening to ABC radio today and they had a guy on talking about the sports that have been in the olympics but are no longer in them.
Croquet, tug-of-war, obstacle swimming, underwater swimming are a few :LOL:

I was listening to ABC radio today and they had a guy on talking about the sports that have been in the olympics but are no longer in them.
The Winter Olympics used to have a horse racing event on ice. What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Might as well get a thread going seeing as the Olympics kick off tonight with the Rugby Sevens.

Favourite event: men's marathon. Love it. Have a while to wait though. Athletics my general favourite.

Thought Tokyo was pretty good. Don't stuff this up France.

Let's get it on.
Is it over yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Some people with a z and v and maybe an x in their name won. Don't ask me who though. Tennis isn't my thing either.
Don't forget Wanker Whateley's been loaned to Ch 9 to commentate. Stick the mute on....

As a kid I used to love watching the Olympics from Montreal 1976. I still remember Moscow 1980 with no Yanks and somehow sticks to us winning the flag a month later. I lost touch after 2000 at Sydney.

They used to shoot actual pigeons in the early days.
I think this is still preferable to break dancing and trampolining.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Titus O’Reily has some really good podcast episodes on olympics history. Hilarious.

Favourite events for me has to be cycling, especially in the velodrome.
Got interested in canoeing and kayaking watching Jess Fox in the last Olympics.
And I heard something about the women’s Beach Volleyball. Hard to look away apparently. Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: 3 users
As a kid I used to love watching the Olympics from Montreal 1976. I still remember Moscow 1980 with no Yanks and somehow sticks to us winning the flag a month later. I lost touch after 2000 at Sydney.
Same here.

I went to the Sydney Olympics, stayed at Bondi Beach, had an awesome time. Saw the 100, 200 & 400 metres mens and ladies sprints, long jump, pole vault ladies beach volleyball etc.
I was going to go to Athens because I'd had such a good time, when it came out that Maurice Greene and Marion Jones had won Gold medals while on the gear I thought they can bash the Olympics. I wasn't going to spend good money watching drug cheats win gold medals.

Track & Field and gymnastics for me. Weightlifting also fun - love the turks & bulgarians slapping themselves silly brford a lift. Swimming is bearable.
Watched Chloe Esposito amazing win the women's pentathlon in 2016 will have a gawk at that also.
*smile* off tennis/golf etc etc, could care less sho wins those.

I heard that ABC broadcast too, the live pigeon shooting sounded like fun but apparently the injured pigeons and the remains scattered around put people off.

The olympics is a decent sporting circus. I do like track and field, swimming, cycling, fencing is fun, soccer, hockey etc. What gets me is the crap that they introduce in some attempt to make it more modern - I'm sorry but breakdancing? Really? Not a sport. Nothing against breakdancing but it does not belong in the olympics. Tennis and golf I can understand the opposition but at least they are sport.

First olympics I remember watching was Montreal. Great stadium but a bit infamous for Australia - no gold medals :eek: I remember Munich but not sure we had live coverage back then.

I'll be away anyway so we'll see what coverage I can find, maybe less of the ridiculous coverage we get here where it seems only Australia wins medals and then you look at the medal tally and we're way off top spot.

The one thing I will whinge about because we all know it will happen, is the coverage: watch them prattle on about nothing in the studio while 20 sports are going on elsewhere. It *smile* me no end that somehow they think people want to watch some has-beens along with a few never-beens crapping on while we could actually be watching sport, you know, sport, the whole point of the event. They should send over commentators and maybe 2 shifts of 1 person in the studio who can, maybe once an hour, give out info about which sports are coming up and when,

DS

Reactions: 1 users