2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Berry down you think,l thought he was one of the few Vic country player's with run in his legs in the last quarter ,quite a few from both sides drifted out in the last 15 minutes.
Talking my ratings. Probably had him on the verge of the top 20 but worry he doesn't have the pace a small forward needs. Maybe he's a goal-kicking high half-forward if he can run all day.

My smokey was WA Hayes two weeks running.

Classic richmond size - 179/70

Courageous, creative, hard running

Watch

Gerreyn is an interesting character.

He gives off Jack Williams vibes in the sense he’s big and somewhat heavy and unprofessional looking, but what separates him from Williams (as one of the commentators said) is that he can take a really solid “heat” mark ie standing under the flight of the ball with incoming from all angles. I like that in big guys. Love it actually.

He’s not gonna be a Curnow or McKay or whatever and kick 60 goals. But he’ll give you a contest in the air and if worst comes to worst, at 199 you can throw him into the ruck and hope he becomes a quasi Nank.

Professionalism and corresponding fitness, athleticism the issue though.

Still, an interesting player. WAFL numbers ok. Potential, half decent, 3rd rounder or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Gerreyn is an interesting character.

He gives off Jack Williams vibes in the sense he’s big and somewhat heavy and unprofessional looking, but what separates him from Williams (as one of the commentators said) is that he can take a really solid “heat” mark ie standing under the flight of the ball with incoming from all angles. I like that in big guys. Love it actually.

He’s not gonna be a Curnow or McKay or whatever and kick 60 goals. But he’ll give you a contest in the air and if worst comes to worst, at 199 you can throw him into the ruck and hope he becomes a quasi Nank.

Professionalism and corresponding fitness, athleticism the issue though.

Still, an interesting player. WAFL numbers ok. Potential, half decent, 3rd rounder or so.
More of an Amartey.

From the reports , sounds like we should be able to go along way to fixing our midfield issues with our first 3 picks , however the needed key forward may well be a little to speculative to go with at our most likely early picks ?

From the reports , sounds like we should be able to go along way to fixing our midfield issues with our first 3 picks , however the needed key forward may well be a little to speculative to go with at our most likely early picks ?

If tom 'dim' sims keeps kicking 3-4 a week,

I reckon he'd be 5-15 range?

Statistically hes on a steep upward curve.

If he starts kicking 5-6 a week, hed probably push into the top 5?

And if tigers hold a 2004 type hand, and if Tocey is any good, we'll take a big early swing and club the piñata all over the floor and grab the best available everything

Reactions: 3 users
South Australians. What are people’s thoughts on South Australians ? We had a good one in Shed, but I I dunno what it is, but I worry about recruiting them.

Neale, Horne-Francis, Rozee. What other SA’s are jets in the AFL right now ? Rankine ? Small group, whatever.

Who was the last decent SA KPF ? Pavlich ?

I ask the question because if we really want to rejuvenate our midfield and do it on both a quality and needs type basis, then we might need 2 picks inside the top 6. To that end I’m thinking both FOS and Draper. Smillie and a couple of others might be very good players, but when you throw the needs part into our midfield, Draper is coming into spectrum.

But I just worry about SA players taken early in the draft ie top 30.

Unfounded ?

Last edited:
Talking my ratings. Probably had him on the verge of the top 20 but worry he doesn't have the pace a small forward needs. Maybe he's a goal-kicking high half-forward if he can run all day.
I thought he was alright,kicked 2 goals,and ended up around the midfield,and still kept putting pressure on,and provided a bit of run and carry late in the game.
I thought it was a very team orientated game,with lot's of player's doing their bit
Vic Country went into the game with only one defender over 191cm preferring run and carry ,l guess that helped WA key forwards get a few more marks.

I think what people are also forgetting ,the rules of the champs allow more free flowing football,less congestion/less stoppages and a lot less physicality .

If tom 'dim' sims keeps kicking 3-4 a week,

I reckon he'd be 5-15 range?

Statistically hes on a steep upward curve.

If he starts kicking 5-6 a week, hed probably push into the top 5?

And if tigers hold a 2004 type hand, and if Tocey is any good, we'll take a big early swing and club the piñata all over the floor and grab the best available everything
Please never mention that year again.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
South Australians. What are people’s thoughts on South Australians ? We had a good one in Shed, but I I dunno what it is, but I worry about recruiting them.

Neale, Horne-Francis, Rozee. What other SA’s are jets in the AFL right now ? Rankine ? Small group, whatever.

Who was the last decent SA KPF ? Pavlich ?

I ask the question because if we really want to rejuvenate our midfield and do it on both a quality and needs type basis, then we might need 2 picks inside the top 6. To that end I’m thinking both FOS and Draper. Smillie and a couple of others might be very good players, but when you throw the needs part into our midfield, Draper is coming into spectrum.

But I just worry about early SA players taken early in the draft.

Unfounded ?
I heard a discussion crunch time today talking about possible SOO and someone said Vic would wipe the floor with everyone else atm. SA just not producing champions.

I thought he was alright,kicked 2 goals,and ended up around the midfield,and still kept putting pressure on,and provided a bit of run and carry late in the game.
Yeah I thought he played pretty well, maybe a bit harsh to say his stock was down, but he's more 30-odd than possibly top-20 for me like I originally had him.

I heard a discussion crunch time today talking about possible SOO and someone said Vic would wipe the floor with everyone else atm. SA just not producing champions.
Funny you say that. For a while now the SANFL has been considered a pretty low standard by a lot of recruiters. There was an article somewhere - might have been The Age - a couple of years ago that raised the degeneration of SA football.

I dunno. I just worry about picking SA’s. What I see watching the SANFL isn’t great.