1980 GF on Fox Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1980 GF on Fox Footy

• Have a look at these Goal/Behind numbers for 1980 - we were a phenomenon!*

Roach, Michael 112 42
      Bartlett, Kevin 84 67
      Cloke, David 47 39
      Monteath, Bruce 43 32
      Wiley, Robert 29 21
      Weightman, Dale 24 31
      Rowlings, Barry 21 18
      Sarah, Paul 12 7
      Keane, Merv 12 6

*Yes, I'm aware that it's a "different" game these days

PUNTROADHAMMER said:
    • Have a look at these Goal/Behind numbers for 1980 - we were a phenomenon!*

Roach, Michael 112 42
      Bartlett, Kevin 84 67
      Cloke, David 47 39
      Monteath, Bruce 43 32
      Wiley, Robert 29 21
      Weightman, Dale 24 31
      Rowlings, Barry 21 18
      Sarah, Paul 12 7
      Keane, Merv 12 6

*Yes, I'm aware that it's a "different" game these days

Yeah but its a different game nowadays.....

Its amazing isnt it. Compared to our 2015 goal kicking list:
Jack: 54
Ty: 31
Deledio: 27
Dusty: 24
Grigg: 16

BrisTiger24 said:
Have been watching a few games from the mid to late 90s on Fox Footy over the last couple of days.

Gee footy was good to watch in that era. Fast, attacking, few stoppages, marking etc. Even comp in 1997 too with 4 or 5 teams finishing equal 8th, including the tiges.

I have to agree, the 90's was the pinnacle of football.
Great to watch, great hits, big marks, long kicks.

Watched the 1997 R11 v Pies shown last night.

Ben Moore, Robbie Powell and Trent Nichols....mosquito fleet that never was.

Funny watching the lanky Bullus again. Skinny but tough and did a good job as the swingman in a few games.

Richo as Richo....on fire with great marks but costly misses in front of goal. Anger for me sitting at PRE then, funny to look at now. ;D

Scores tied late in the game, no milking the clock or flooding, just play on!! The old Benny Gale clutch marks at CHB to save the game.

Good win for Walls, we moved to 5-6 and just 1 win out of the 8, but....

Fast forward to 6 weeks later, they also showed the R17 match against Crows at Football Park, we're 6-10 and just 2 wins outside the 8, but as we get done by 137 points, it's goodbye Walls.

Tenacious said:
In those days a stoppage wasn't something that a team sought to achieve as a tactic.
In fact the whole idea was to avoid stoppages (not even sure that term was used till much later) because their whole purpose was to win the ball and get it moving forward as quick as possible.
A "ball up" was just a necessary evil that occurred every so often.

Coaches frequently say that end-to-end "shootout" footy isn't what they're after. In that situation they have minimal control. They've succeeded in breaking it down into a burst game in between stoppages, where they can set up and execute to a plan. Getting more like US "football" all the time. Soon someone will call for time-outs.

se7en said:
I have to agree, the 90's was the pinnacle of football.
Great to watch, great hits, big marks, long kicks.

And then they changed the interchange from 2 to 3 then 3 to 4 and it all went to pot after that.
Thanks for nothing Sheeds.

Just watched the 1998 - R16 game against the Bummers off the IQ from last night.

Bummers sponsor "speed kills".....hmm...that speed ;D

Benny Gale tackles Dimma who gets a soft push in the back free kick. Funny.

There you go, 1998...late 90s...pedantic dumpire decisions or rule tampering. Siren goes, Richo lines up straight to kick his 6th.....disallowed coz he played on.....what?? Late 90s was when disease started to form in our game.

Just watched another game from the 90's against the dreaded Bombers. Not sure what year, but we won. Good one. Funny to see the likes of Nick Daffy, Graham Bond, Greg Dear, Benny Gale and Matty Knights, just to name some of our better players from those days. It was good to watch with great tackling, good running and some very good marks. Entertaining stuff, and winning may have coloured my judgement.

The 95 final against Essendon. Was won due to knighter keeping us alive at half time and then turner, bond, Rogers, Nash and daffy running riot after half time.
Brodders MIA, gale was vomit and Campbell at his softest best.
Essendon got a 100 injuries that's why we won.

zippadeee said:
The 95 final against Essendon. Was won due to knighter keeping us alive at half time and then turner, bond, Rogers, Nash and daffy running riot after half time.
Don't worry about it Zips - water well and truly under the bridge.
Geelong supporters still claim we only won the '67 Flag because Freddy Swift took a saving mark in the last Q from row B behind the goals. That doesn't matter either.
Enjoy them both for what they are - winning finals.

Tenacious said:
Don't worry about it Zips - water well and truly under the bridge.
Geelong supporters still claim we only won the '67 Flag because Freddy Swift took a saving mark in the last Q from row B behind the goals. That doesn't matter either.
Enjoy them both for what they are - winning finals.
Further to that - I just saw it again this arvo (fancy Foxtel showing repeats) and it brought back memories (and some things I'd completely forgotten):
FWIW
- Jamie Tape and Matty Rogers were guns at that time
- Chris Bond too
- Didn't notice a lot of Broderick in this game (still had 12 handballs) - but by gee he was a great Tiger player for many years
- Campbell described as "Brownlow favourite"
- John Howatt doing a few good things late in the game
- A great work ethic with two and three palyers at a time making tackles
- The "17 year old Mathew Lloyd" - even then showed the look of an arrogant toss-pot

Good to see.

Campbell was definitely one of the Brownlow favorites finished with 10 votes equal with Broderick
Bond 9
Matthew Knights 16 votes best for tigers tied for 4th overall behind Paul Kelly on 21 .

zippadeee said:
Essendon were also inaccurate when they needed to kick goals to put us away. Scott Turner knocking out O'Donnell also may have had something to do with the win that day. I think Stewie Maxfield evening up with Grenvold for the broken jaw he copped earlier in the season also lifted the Tigers. Essendon had a hard match the week before at Waverley and flagged earlier in the build up to this game that their legs were tired.

TigerForce said:
Watched the 1997 R11 v Pies shown last night.

Ben Moore, Robbie Powell and Trent Nichols....mosquito fleet that never was.

Funny watching the lanky Bullus again. Skinny but tough and did a good job as the swingman in a few games.

Richo as Richo....on fire with great marks but costly misses in front of goal. Anger for me sitting at PRE then, funny to look at now. ;D

Scores tied late in the game, no milking the clock or flooding, just play on!! The old Benny Gale clutch marks at CHB to save the game.

Good win for Walls, we moved to 5-6 and just 1 win out of the 8, but....

Fast forward to 6 weeks later, they also showed the R17 match against Crows at Football Park, we're 6-10 and just 2 wins outside the 8, but as we get done by 137 points, it's goodbye Walls.
I was a guest of the woodsman that night, neally got myself killed in there :hihi