1980 GF on Fox Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1980 GF on Fox Footy

antman said:
I went to 82 but not 80 so count yourself lucky :hihi

Well we beat them in the commonwealth games rematch which for me as an 8 year old meant something... was it weeks or months after, i was to young to understand time, seemed like weeks..

Actually very sad that we need to go back that far... Im hopeful the next few years will change that!!

graystar1 said:
Memories memories!! I was there and enjoyed every minute of that GF. Also, was at the 1982 grannie, and went home devastated. Has not been much on offer since has there?

I've never seen that game. One of these days.

The 1980 GF replay just finished again, and watching the last minutes of the last quarter, did I see Roachy spit the dummy when Wiley ignored KB and kicked for goal? ;D

We need another KB roaming the I50 these days. Can't believe how loose he was in most games.

Glad Hafey rejected advise to have KB "taken out" in the game.
Couldn't do a act like that to a good mate.

graystar1 said:
Memories memories!! I was there and enjoyed every minute of that GF. Also, was at the 1982 grannie, and went home devastated. Has not been much on offer since has there?

Was at Both Games Front Row old posford stand

1995 Semi Final on Fox

1995 Semi Final is on Tonight on Fox Footy 1999s History Month 11.30pm

I watched it with my 13 year old son. He just could not believe the difference. For him it was like watching another sport. We got a lot of laughs watching Cloke kicking for goal. I'd forgotten how bad he was.

Tenacious said:
In those days a stoppage wasn't something that a team sought to achieve as a tactic.
In fact the whole idea was to avoid stoppages (not even sure that term was used till much later) because their whole purpose was to win the ball and get it moving forward as quick as possible.
A "ball up" was just a necessary evil that occurred every so often.

Stacks on the mill was what the commentators called when there was more three or four players on the ground scrambling for the ball.

Have been watching a few games from the mid to late 90s on Fox Footy over the last couple of days.

Gee footy was good to watch in that era. Fast, attacking, few stoppages, marking etc. Even comp in 1997 too with 4 or 5 teams finishing equal 8th, including the tiges.

BrisTiger24 said:
Gee footy was good to watch in that era. Fast, attacking, few stoppages, marking etc. Even comp in 1997 too with 4 or 5 teams finishing equal 8th, including the tiges.

Yep. And then the started fiddling with the rules.

rosy23 said:
Yep. And then the started fiddling with the rules.
Maybe - but reckon it was coaches and tactics that changed things first.
I've been watching those Fox replays too and you can see the trends.
In those 70's and 80's games the whole thrust was to get the ball forward as quick as possible to where ........ guess what?......... there were forwards ....... ready and waiting!
Up till then a full-forward played at full-forward - from the goal square. The forward pockets were positioned either side in the pockets. There was a definite half-forward line.
It was probably those 90's replays when we start seeing those situations where suddenly the bloke with the ball looked up and there was nobody up-field to kick to.
It was bloody weird at first but I reckon it was coaching that brought about those defensive changes with players behind the ball etc etc.

Just moving onto the 1982 GF.
Apparently Carlton got more out of the loss in the semi final. They went small and out ran our big blokes.
And watching the game again it really shows how slow our team was.
A GF that should've been our 11th. 4th in 10 years. :'(

Tenacious said:
Maybe - but reckon it was coaches and tactics that changed things first.
I've been watching those Fox replays too and you can see the trends.
In those 70's and 80's games the whole thrust was to get the ball forward as quick as possible to where ........ guess what?......... there were forwards ....... ready and waiting!
Up till then a full-forward played at full-forward - from the goal square. The forward pockets were positioned either side in the pockets. There was a definite half-forward line.
It was probably those 90's replays when we start seeing those situations where suddenly the bloke with the ball looked up and there was nobody up-field to kick to.
It was bloody weird at first but I reckon it was coaching that brought about those defensive changes with players behind the ball etc etc.
Spot on Tenacious, coaches fudging n manipulating the rules n tactics of the game as it's become more professional over the years forces the administrators to fiddle with the rules after the fact trying to keep some semblance of the old Aussie rules in place. Every time there's another rule brought in or adjusted to correct what the coaches have *smile* up, the coaches go back to work n try to find a way to *smile* the rules up again. Just like a dog nose constantly chasing arse.

TigerMasochist said:
Spot on Tenacious, coaches fudging n manipulating the rules n tactics of the game as it's become more professional over the years forces the administrators to fiddle with the rules after the fact trying to keep some semblance of the old Aussie rules in place. Every time there's another rule brought in or adjusted to correct what the coaches have *smile*ed up, the coaches go back to work n try to find a way to *smile* the rules up again. Just like a dog nose constantly chasing arse.

Sheeds in the early 2000s with his kick backwards epidemic that spread.

I also blame the AFL sometime in the late 90s forcing to change rules in order to 'fasten' the game. Disaster.

Big Tiger said:
11.30 tonight 1995 semi final against Essendon.

Saw it again....for the millionth time.....geez, do we need to upgrade or what. ;D

I never knew what to make of Prescott. Good player who could've been something bigger.

Merenda and Charles were the ones I thought could have been anything. Don't think we got to see the absolute best of either. Geez we've had some bad luck