1980 GF on Fox Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1980 GF on Fox Footy

DancingHomea

Tiger Cub
Jun 9, 2008
Fox Footy are showing the 1980 GF tonight 12:00 AM
I'm sure they'll repeat it again during the month if you miss it.

Watched it for an AFL fix. They played a hard game in those days, even the so called softer players.

Woosher was a classic tackling someone by pulling their hair! :cutelaugh

Lucky it wasn't KB,s :rofl

Sintiger said:
I was there, still sobering up.

Seems like yesterday.

Must've been a real good drink.
That's a massive hang over 36 years :hihi

DancingHomea said:
Fox Footy are showing the 1980 GF tonight 12:00 AM
I'm sure they'll repeat it again during the month if you miss it.

It must be annoying to some of those other clubs who can only see their last Premiership team by looking at a cave painting.

What stood out to me was just how good it was to have a dominant Ruckman. Lee was just terrific. Our mosquito fleet in Wiley, Rowlings, Weightman and Bartlett were pretty damn good too. Aaah, those were the days.

David C said:
It must be annoying to some of those other clubs who can only see their last Premiership team by looking at a cave painting.

It's bad enough that we have to go to a VHS video ... only St. Kilda (1966), Melbourne (1964) and the Bulldogs (1954) are worse off than us now in this area.

DragaTheCro said:
How soft were some of the free kicks paid back then? Ridiculous.

Maybe so, but the flow of play was way better to watch. I loved KB's headlock on Stan the Man....never knew he had that mongrel in him.

1982 GF on again. I've seen enough of it.....but wouldn't mind having another glance at...... :hihi

Great to see the rucks charge in from either side without an immediate pack forming

The 1986 rep game between VIc and Wa before hand proved how overrated Brian Taylor was! ;D

Entertaining watching the GF again. Notice how there were no stoppages? Umpires blew the whistle much, much earlier back then.

loto said:
Entertaining watching the GF again. Notice how there were no stoppages? Umpires blew the whistle much, much earlier back then.

Yep, and no stockpiling after a tackle. I was always against the 'making a our game fast' theory that spruiked out of the mid/late 90s somewhere.

loto said:
In those days a stoppage wasn't something that a team sought to achieve as a tactic.
In fact the whole idea was to avoid stoppages (not even sure that term was used till much later) because their whole purpose was to win the ball and get it moving forward as quick as possible.
A "ball up" was just a necessary evil that occurred every so often.

Memories memories!! I was there and enjoyed every minute of that GF. Also, was at the 1982 grannie, and went home devastated. Has not been much on offer since has there?

graystar1 said:
Memories memories!! I was there and enjoyed every minute of that GF. Also, was at the 1982 grannie, and went home devastated. Has not been much on offer since has there?

I went to 82 but not 80 so count yourself lucky :hihi