Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Surprised at any negativity about his game. You play what is in front of you and he was very good.
One of the keys with Sonsie is to understand what sort of player he is and not expect him to be something else. He is not an in and under mid he is an outside mid. His strength as a mid is reading the play and being available again and again, to complement the work the inside mids do.
Teams need both inside and outside mids, you can’t have exclusively one or the other. He is a different player to say Thomson Dow or from what I have seen Kane McAuliffe as well.
The only comment on that is that when it is his time to go he has to do it and this year I think he has generally but he can still get better at that, his body is bigger than it was.
He is a good reader of the play and his kicking skills are good. If there is a senior spot in the midfield we have to play him imo and if there is not he plays mid in the VFL. I don’t want to see him playing half forward in the seniors except by necessity.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We’re stufffing Sonsie around. Just accept his weaknesses and focus on his strengths. Stop playing him as a half forward. Let him accumulate around the ground as a receive mid from the bulls and take advantage of his play reading, decision making and execution. Give him an extra spell or rotation on the bench to account for his aerobic limits at the moment.

Yes he’s not great at pushing back or defensive work rate but that can still come. Yes he’s not that physical. Maybe he won’t make it, who knows. But right now we’re not cashing in well enough on his positives to make a good enough determination of that imo.

Free Sonsie !

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Needs the Dow like string of games in MIDfield at least until Ross/Taranto return so about 8 weeks. perfect

Reactions: 1 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Why not play him at half back as a distributor and move Daniel Rioli either into the midfield or half forward? We have nothing to lose finding out about these players.

Reactions: 4 users

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
Its not good. But I'd call it a disaster if we'd botched the Gibcus pick. Injury aside, I think he'll be a gun, which is the main thing. Brown is showing a bit. For me a pass mark would be top 10 pick nailed, 1 good player/ 2 solid players from the rest.

What we wanted and what the odds say will be delivered are 2 different things. For me a disaster would be a 0 or 1 out of 10. I'd give it a 4. Could yet be a 6. To stay a contender we needed it to be an 8 or a 9, its definitely not that.
I think we’ve done well out of it. Injuries aside Gibcus is a gun, Brown is going to be a serious player and I’m a big wrap for Clark. The one I’m not sure about is Banks, needs a fair bit of work still. Sonz we all know is very talented but it’s up to him if he wants it bad enough

Reactions: 7 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
With Hopper getting injured there's a good chance we might find out.
More than happy to see him get another shot so we can see one way or the other if he can cut the mustard against AFL level midfielders.
Dow has been given opportunities to find his feet even after ordinary games.
Sonsie should get that chance too so long as his intensity is sufficiently there.
Here's hoping he succeeds.

Reactions: 9 users

Jukes Extended 2.0

Tiger Cub
Jan 28, 2023
We need to play the kids, this is a re-build. WTF is the point playing a guy like Naismith who's almost 32 years old. It's comical.
I'd rather Sonsie, Ryan etc get regular games. Just need to pump games into the kids.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How's pumping games into the kids going for Norf? Ya gotta have balance. Development is not just throwing all the kids in at once.

Reactions: 12 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We need to play the kids, this is a re-build. WTF is the point playing a guy like Naismith who's almost 32 years old. It's comical.
I'd rather Sonsie, Ryan etc get regular games. Just need to pump games into the kids.
That door swings both ways. You can’t just put games into any young player and expect them to become AFL quality. You have to put games into those that show AFL traits. Our problem right now is that precious few of our young players have shown those traits.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Tyler Sonsie (32 disposals, 19 contested possessions, 10 clearances, seven inside-50s, five marks, one goal)

“An outstanding game from Tyler. I was particularly pleased with his attitude and the damage that he had from his possessions. He had a huge impact on the game with 19 contested possessions, and I thought that he got the ball in dangerous spaces consistently throughout the game.”

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That door swings both ways. You can’t just put games into any young player and expect them to become AFL quality. You have to put games into those that show AFL traits. Our problem right now is that precious few of our young players have shown those traits.
We have lots of young players who have shown AFL traits.
That isn’t the issue with a lot of the younger ones, almost all have the ability. The issue is that they have to show consistency in games and they have to show consistency week after week.
That’s what playing Sonsie, Banks, Brown and others will tell us. Are they good enough consistently enough to make it as an AFL player.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
That isn’t the issue with a lot of the younger ones, almost all have the ability. The issue is that they have to show consistency in games and they have to show consistency week after week.
That’s what playing Sonsie, Banks, Brown and others will tell us. Are they good enough consistently enough to make it as an AFL player.
Good points as well. If they show they have the ability and are willing to work that’s a start.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I agree, its very simple for people to say "very few of our kids show AFL traits". I assume thats because not many of them have come in and blown it away. The reality is, not many players come into sides (particularly struggling sides) and just look like they belong, its far far easier for kids to do that in strong sides, as their weaknesses (largely due to consistency etc) aren't exposed as greatly.

As you say, we have many players that have shown AFL traits but we need to see them play a lot more games to accelerate their development which means we need to push a lot of games into them and play probably 10-12 players with under 50 games experience every game this year.

MRJ is a perfect example, has now played 33 games. I'd hazard a guess that most on here (myself included) probably thought he was likely to be delisted at the end of this year as "we hadn't seen enough AFL traits" in his first 25 or so games. We are now starting to reap that benefit as those later draft picks, gain more experience and understanding of what they should be doing.

Its why we need to keep getting games into a lot of these players that have shown that they can play at the level, to help iron out the inconsistencies that you tend to see with most players, especially those picked outside the top 20 or so in the draft (which most of our kids were). Its a shame that Clarke got injured again, just back from the shoulder and getting confidence in his body again, and does an ACL, so likely won't play much AFL if anything again next year either.

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I agree, its very simple for people to say "very few of our kids show AFL traits". I assume thats because not many of them have come in and blown it away. The reality is, not many players come into sides (particularly struggling sides) and just look like they belong, its far far easier for kids to do that in strong sides, as their weaknesses (largely due to consistency etc) aren't exposed as greatly.

As you say, we have many players that have shown AFL traits but we need to see them play a lot more games to accelerate their development which means we need to push a lot of games into them and play probably 10-12 players with under 50 games experience every game this year.

MRJ is a perfect example, has now played 33 games. I'd hazard a guess that most on here (myself included) probably thought he was likely to be delisted at the end of this year as "we hadn't seen enough AFL traits" in his first 25 or so games. We are now starting to reap that benefit as those later draft picks, gain more experience and understanding of what they should be doing.

Its why we need to keep getting games into a lot of these players that have shown that they can play at the level, to help iron out the inconsistencies that you tend to see with most players, especially those picked outside the top 20 or so in the draft (which most of our kids were). Its a shame that Clarke got injured again, just back from the shoulder and getting confidence in his body again, and does an ACL, so likely won't play much AFL if anything again next year either.
Judson Clarke is a good example. He has never really had a game that you would call a break out game, he has had games where he did some really good things but wasn’t a dominant player. I posted about him preseason and said that my issue with him was not whether he had the ability because I think he has the tools. He just didn’t get enough of the ball
By playing Judson Clarke we give him the best chance of showing whether he can consistently impact a game at AFL level. Sadly we won’t see that this season.
Banks is another, his first half last week was good, 9-10 possessions and playing well but he largely disappeared after halftime. That’s not good enough for an AFL player but we aren’t going to find out if he is capable of getting to be an 18-20 possession winger by playing him in the vfl imo.
Some will fail and it will hurt us on field but to me it is the way we need to go.

Reactions: 8 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
we need to play the kids with the required toolkit with the seasoned players while they are still around! there's your balance.