Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Its almost like people don't even watch the games and just look at stats.

The reason we aren't scoring is we are having to push our HFF's way up the ground to try and overload the midfield. We are essentially trying to flood and strangle the midfield and restrict the scoring of the opposition. It worked in quarters 1 and 3 yesterday, the umps got involved which kind of halted our ability to maintain men around the ball in the other 2 quarters.

The other alternative is to still get smashed at clearance but allow much easier ball movement by the opposition and get scored against heavier, probably without generating any more inside 50's.

We are in a very weak position at the moment. If we were only missing our tall forwards then perhaps we might be able to be a bit more attacking but losing Taranto, Hopper and Prestia from our midfield all at the same time has completed destroyed any chance we have of getting the ball forward effectively.
IMG_6987.jpeg
Let’s look at Mansell tracker don’t get many possession considering he’s run up and down the wings and HF
Gave away 3 frees and metres gained was only 45
So much for defensive pressure what happened to scoreboard pressure?

Reactions: 2 users
Thought I'd dig into the "Cumbo is a proven goalkicker" thing a bit, given it's the first thing that gets brought up in any why-isn't-cumbo-in-the-side conversation.

2022 was a good year. He kicked 19.13 from his 9 games in the seniors, with only 1 game (his 1st) where he went scoreless. He also kicked 24.10 in the VFL. Easy to understand the excitement that built around him.

2023 wasn't as good. 9 games in the seniors again, for only 8.8 and 4 goalless games. VFL form was still good, with 17.6 from 6 games which earned him a couple of recalls into the seniors, which he unfortunately didn't capitalise on.

2024 has been underwhelming to date. He's managed 4.12 from 5 games in the VFL. Not exactly kicking the selectors' door down.

Is there anything to take out of this? Probably fair to say his form has continued to taper off after a high watermark in 2022, and that from the most recent examples in 2023 his good VFL form didn't translate to good AFL form. Kinda kills the "he's a better player in the seniors" narrative. And given he's struggling to hit the scoreboard in the VFL this year (where he's historically been performing well), there's nothing to suggest a move to the seniors would deliver much of an impact.

So yeah, if you want to bring Cumbo in on the basis that he couldn't be any worse that what we have at the moment, fair enough. (Although Mansell, to pick a name out of the air, finds a whole lot more ball at AFL level than Cumbo does).

But if the argument is that Cumbo is going to come into the team and start kicking bags of goals through a combination of x-factor, nous, and sheer unadulterated talent.... well, exposed form would suggest otherwise.

Meh. I hope he gets a game!

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Hasn't got the right attitude to be a successful footballer unfortunately.

Thought I'd dig into the "Cumbo is a proven goalkicker" thing a bit, given it's the first thing that gets brought up in any why-isn't-cumbo-in-the-side conversation.

2022 was a good year. He kicked 19.13 from his 9 games in the seniors, with only 1 game (his 1st) where he went scoreless. He also kicked 24.10 in the VFL. Easy to understand the excitement that built around him.

2023 wasn't as good. 9 games in the seniors again, for only 8.8 and 4 goalless games. VFL form was still good, with 17.6 from 6 games which earned him a couple of recalls into the seniors, which he unfortunately didn't capitalise on.

2024 has been underwhelming to date. He's managed 4.12 from 5 games in the VFL. Not exactly kicking the selectors' door down.

Is there anything to take out of this? Probably fair to say his form has continued to taper off after a high watermark in 2022, and that from the most recent examples in 2023 his good VFL form didn't translate to good AFL form. Kinda kills the "he's a better player in the seniors" narrative. And given he's struggling to hit the scoreboard in the VFL this year (where he's historically been performing well), there's nothing to suggest a move to the seniors would deliver much of an impact.

So yeah, if you want to bring Cumbo in on the basis that he couldn't be any worse that what we have at the moment, fair enough. (Although Mansell, to pick a name out of the air, finds a whole lot more ball at AFL level than Cumbo does).

But if the argument is that Cumbo is going to come into the team and start kicking bags of goals through a combination of x-factor, nous, and sheer unadulterated talent.... well, exposed form would suggest otherwise.

Seeing as you brought Mansell up and said he gets a whole lot more ball than Cumbo

Mansell averages 9.7 disposals a game
Cumbo averages 8.7 disposals

Not really a whole lot more ball

Mansell average tackles 2.4
Cumbo average tackles 2.2

Mansell average goals 0.4 below average
Cumbo average goals 1.5 -
wait for it - ELITE..!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m resigned that Cumbo, for myriad reasons, isn’t going to be an AFL player with Richmond and probably not with anyone else either. Just feel his ship has sailed.

Reactions: 1 user
Our f50 is that listless that this kid just needs a shot and see if he can conjure nothing , backing mansell and Campbell to do this role is seriously pushing @&@$# up hill

Reactions: 1 users
I’m resigned that Cumbo, for myriad reasons, isn’t going to be an AFL player with Richmond and probably not with anyone else either. Just feel his ship has sailed.
Yep, players coming back from injury aren’t going to help his cause in playing seniors and unless he starts dominating VFL for for at least a month it’s hard to see him being able to show his worth (if he has any). At this stage (rightly or wrongly) you would think he would be the first player delisted at seasons end.

I wonder if you blokes would be of the same opinion if he kicked 6 goals one?

So in a decent team having a reasonable year playing as a developing medium forward, he's had 66 scoring shots across AFL and VFL kicking 43 goals 23. not bad by anyone's count.
So only played 15 games for the year, still managed 16 scoring shots for a poor side in his 9 senior games and had 23 scoring shots at 3 goals per game in his 6 VFL games. Injury interrupted year n the coaches were trying to upscale his defensive work as well. Still not a bad year.
16 scoring shots from 5 games and if he'd kicked 12 goals 4 we'd be swinging from the rafters n howling for his inclusion into the seniors. he's also put a much greater emphasis on his chasing n tackling defensive work as well as trying to bring other players into the game, so it's only conversion rate keeping him from having a big impact on games.

Due to massive injury issues our entire front half is well and truly under the pump this year. We've got a bunch of young blokes struggling to have much of any impact at the moment so why not simply rotate a few blokes out n let them have the freedom of performing at magoos level for a few weeks and rotate up a few other young blokes from the magoos to see if they can impact over a three or four week run at seniors.

Reactions: 5 users
Gives me Plapp vibes… dunno why, just does… and I was I huge early days Plapp aficionado

wouldnt worry about the king he plays every week
Livingstone title is General Manager Football Performance if you look at our performances this year on and off the field it’s been a major fail
Totally agree in regards too Meehan.

16 scoring shots from 5 games and if he'd kicked 12 goals 4 we'd be swinging from the rafters n howling for his inclusion into the seniors. he's also put a much greater emphasis on his chasing n tackling defensive work as well as trying to bring other players into the game, so it's only conversion rate keeping him from having a big impact on games.
I think this is basically right now. Of his 16 scoring shots this year in 5 games 7 of them came last weekend for 1-6. If he had kicked 6-1 most would be calling for a recall but he needs to do it again and kick straight. Hope he can.

It's been noted before his VFL form has been incrementally improving over the last couple of weeks.

As an aside his 2022 stats are better than quoted because I think his first AFL game was as an unused sub. He played a vfl game in sydney and ended up as a sub up there the same day or day after when someone got injured pre-game or something like that?

If he gets back into the side & does well (which I hope he does) I'm gonna love watching the "was he Always good, or was he only good cos of his time in the rezzies?" Argument

If he gets back into the side & does well (which I hope he does) I'm gonna love watching the "was he Always good, or was he only good cos of his time in the rezzies?" Argument

I think everyone would love the thread to go that way.

Now there's a question worthy of pondering.
Actually not sure if he's a good footballer, he's probably a bit better structural player now than he was a couple of seasons ago because he's learnt a bit about chasing, harassing n tackling to try n help keep the ball in the forward area. Always felt he was a very good opportunist player, he could get to roughly whereabouts the ball was gunna be and then if it bounced the right way or a contesting pack fell the right way then he was quick to react n could do some scoreboard damage, but then again that's the type of player that doesn't fit AFL structures because if the moment didn't break right for him. Then he was out of the contest n unable to influence.
Still want to see him get a bracket of senior games sometime soon, simply because he's a tad unpredictable as a player n the game's so structured and robotic these days it's bloody hard to watch.

I've said it before, put him on the opposite wing to Ralphmalph, tallish fast, long kicking wingman. We then don't have to worry about whether he's kicking goals or not.