Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Cumberland was definitely injured. Guy could barely break stride just leaving the sheds at HT.
Hopefully gets it right because despite others there (rightly) in preference atm, it's inevitable an opportunity will come if he can perform at VFL level.

Unfortunately, the expectations of Cumbo are higher than others. No one can tell me Lefau is a better option up forward than Cumbo. Yeah, lefau is taller but doesn't play taller.

With respect AT Lefau is actually pretty good overhead. We just haven't seen it yet in the small sample at AFL level.

Reactions: 3 users
I wholeheartedly agree with DA, but remember last year they had Cotchin playing forward, pickett and Prestia at times none are natural forwards, the coaches simply trying to find positions for them.

I recall 3 games when Cumbo kicked 6, 4 and 4 and didn't get a look in. I bet my bottom dollar if Junior or Mansell were playing ressies and they got those stats they'd be straight in.

Unfortunately, the expectations of Cumbo are higher than others. No one can tell me Lefau is a better option up forward than Cumbo. Yeah, lefau is taller but doesn't play taller.

Anyway, I get it he needs to bide his time but geez I want him to be given a chance like others have been given.
So Cumbo's attitude has nothing to do with it? The MC is just being unfair because... reasons?

Reactions: 2 users
Cumberland was definitely injured. Guy could barely break stride just leaving the sheds at HT.
Hopefully gets it right because despite others there (rightly) in preference atm, it's inevitable an opportunity will come if he can perform at VFL level.

With respect AT Lefau is actually pretty good overhead. We just haven't seen it yet in the small sample at AFL level.

Spot on re Cumbo you're right.

On Lefau he has shown in the ressies re his marking but the point I was making oldie was he was still gifted a game like others in the early rounds Mansell, banks and Junior.

Lefau defensively was poor, watched him carefully and the other player I watched carefully was Dow who surprised me with his intent on the ball, seemed harder at it and the urgency in his game plus the defensive aspect as well. A good game.

Reactions: 2 users
So Cumbo's attitude has nothing to do with it? The MC is just being unfair because... reasons?

Attitude, if he is being a *smile* that's another story. He is ultra professional in his preparation, and fit as a fiddle. From what I hear he is taking in everything that they are asking of him. Morris is happy.

Teague and Rutten dimma yes men, they are not Cumbo fav and have big say in selection.

If the guy was playing *smile* week in and week out dont think anyone would bat an eye lid but when some get special treatment on selection, like banks, mansell, lefau and junior that raises eyebrows.

The thing is he's had better games than bad games this preseason and the start of the season but still cant get a look in .

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Explain attitude you’re referring to?
Cumbo's attitude. His approach. Demeanour. Body language. Everyone has them. I don't know what his are because I'm not there. But are we saying that his - whatever it is - has no influence on whether or not he's selected, and the match committee is persecuting him at the team's expense, because...?

Reactions: 1 users
His body language can be disappointing at times but think this “attitude “ thing is highly speculative at best.
Myths have the tendency to morph into facts here on PRE, especially the more they are perpetuated. Like Brown being 193cm. Classic case of Indian whispers.
Unless you’re in the inner sanctum, you wouldn’t know the reason. I’d suspect more to do with not playing to structures but what would I know?

Attitude, if he is being a *smile* that's another story. He is ultra professional in his preparation, and fit as a fiddle. From what I hear he is taking in everything that they are asking of him. Morris is happy.

Teague and Rutten dimma yes men, they are not Cumbo fav and have big say in selection.

If the guy was playing *smile* week in and week out dont think anyone would bat an eye lid but when some get special treatment on selection, like banks, mansell, lefau and junior that raises eyebrows.

The thing is he's had better games than bad games this preseason and the start of the season but still cant get a look in .
As in my response to btoz above, do you think the coaches are treating him unfairly, at the team's expense, for no reason? Do you think they can't see his talents?

His body language can be disappointing at times but think this “attitude “ thing is highly speculative at best.
Myths have the tendency to morph into facts here on PRE, especially the more they are perpetuated. Like Brown being 193cm. Classic case of Indian whispers.
Unless you’re in the inner sanctum, you wouldn’t know the reason. I’d suspect more to do with not playing to structures but what would I know?
Yeah, basically what I said in response to btoz. We don't know. But the MC aren't just being meanies. And they're not idiots.

Reactions: 1 user
@tigerfan1961 do you actually ever contribute anything of value on this subject?
Mate, I really do rate his abilities and want him to succeed. When we drafted him and I watched his highlights, I honestly thought we’d grabbed a very good midfielder from under the Lions noses. The guy CAN play.
It’s just disturbing that so many have the “poor Cumbo, the coaches are persecuting him” attitude. That’s total garbage imo.
He’s either not doing what they want of him, or his attributes aren’t what they want in the side. When that changes, he’ll play for sure. But I can guarantee you he’s being looked at on merit, zero to do with Dimma, Rutten, Teague holding some kind of vendetta against him.

Reactions: 10 users
Mate, I really do rate his abilities and want him to succeed. When we drafted him and I watched his highlights, I honestly thought we’d grabbed a very good midfielder from under the Lions noses. The guy CAN play.
It’s just disturbing that so many have the “poor Cumbo, the coaches are persecuting him” attitude. That’s total garbage imo.
He’s either not doing what they want of him, or his attributes aren’t what they want in the side. When that changes, he’ll play for sure. But I can guarantee you he’s being looked at on merit, zero to do with Dimma, Rutten, Teague holding some kind of vendetta against him.

Fair enough reply. I think most know I do rate him but why do others seme to do less and get an easy call-up but for Cumbo seems like he has to go through so many hoops. Maybe he is just frustrated when he plays well and he doesn't get a look in. Hopefully, he gets some chances this year and takes it with both hands.

Yeah, basically what I said in response to btoz. We don't know. But the MC aren't just being meanies. And they're not idiots.
Agree that they’re not meanies but they do some weird stuff at the selection table.
They bought Judd in as the sub a few weeks ago and replaced Banks. Had more disposals in one quarter than Banks had in 3. Then gets dropped.
They then bring Banks in as sub last week, off no form. Replaces Lefau in the 4th quarter and gets more disposals in one quarter than Lefau does in three. Then gets dropped.
I’ve given up trying to work out what their thought processes are. Idiots or geniuses? Fine line I suppose

• Haha
As in my response to btoz above, do you think the coaches are treating him unfairly, at the team's expense, for no reason? Do you think they can't see his talents?

Yeah mate I do reckon he's been treated unfairly many believe that. Teague and Rutten ain't his biggest supporters.

You just need to look at some of the selections this year, some who weren't playing well in the ressies or at all and getting a senior gig.

As I said to TF1961 Hopefully, he gets some chances this year and takes it with both hands.

Agree that they’re not meanies but they do some weird stuff at the selection table.
They bought Judd in as the sub a few weeks ago and replaced Banks. Had more disposals in one quarter than Banks had in 3. Then gets dropped.
They then bring Banks in as sub last week, off no form. Replaces Lefau in the 4th quarter and gets more disposals in one quarter than Lefau does in three. Then gets dropped.
I’ve given up trying to work out what their thought processes are. Idiots or geniuses? Fine line I suppose
Juddy appears to be injured? Banks getting touches in the last quarter as the fresh man on the ground is not really comparable to Lefau playing third tall, as I'm sure you know. The selections of Mansell and MoJu were also seen as odd and were 100% justified.

Selectors don't always get it right. The last two or three spots often have up to half a dozen contenders. There's balance, structure, speed, pressure, inside presence, outside coverage, match-ups, etc. all these factors to consider. It's not easy, and there are many ways to skin a cat.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah mate I do reckon he's been treated unfairly many believe that. Teague and Rutten ain't his biggest supporters.

You just need to look at some of the selections this year, some who weren't playing well in the ressies or at all and getting a senior gig.

As I said to TF1961 Hopefully, he gets some chances this year and takes it with both hands.
Do you reckon Cumbo is being unfair to his teammates when he lies on the ground for 45 seconds?

I want him to succeed too, and I would have picked him for Opening Round, but neither of us is making an informed call.

Reactions: 4 users
Cumbo's attitude. His approach. Demeanour. Body language. Everyone has them. I don't know what his are because I'm not there. But are we saying that his - whatever it is - has no influence on whether or not he's selected, and the match committee is persecuting him at the team's expense, because...?
Didn’t answer the question just gave more questions
Anyway IMO MC is persecuting Cumbo New coach nothings changed how Cumbos being treated
Saw MJ against the Swans serve up a few major *smile* ups that resulted in opposition goals At one stage threw his mouth guard on the ground cracked the *smile* If that was Cumbo he’d be dropped back to VFL

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t answer the question just gave more questions
Anyway IMO MC is persecuting Cumbo New coach nothings changed how Cumbos being treated
Saw MJ against the Swans serve up a few major *smile* ups that resulted in opposition goals At one stage threw his mouth guard on the ground cracked the *smile* If that was Cumbo he’d be dropped back to VFL
Without being privy to the inner conversations he seems to be getting treated massively differently.

Reckon that some of this has to do with getting full games into the young fringe players that often only get 10 or 15 minutes of match time as sub. A little bit of encouragement for the young blokes getting to sub for the senior side, balanced with proper game time the following round to maintain match fitness and touch. Some will also have to do with balancing injury replacements with a like for like player, or returning an experienced senior regular returning from injury.