Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Maybe he'll get a game when he stops being a sook. Maybe the coaches want to see more than a week or two of defensive intent before they promote him. Maybe they want him to stop acting like he's been mortally wounded every time he gets an owie, leaving us a man down until he miraculously recovers. Maybe they're trying to teach him something that will benefit him and us in the long term. Or maybe they're just big meanie idiots persecuting Noah at the expense of the team for sh1ts and giggles.

I like Cumbo, he has great talent. I think he could add another dimension to our forward line. He's shown that. But you have a selective memory if you ignore some of his most recent AFL outings when he would be unsighted for a half or more.

Phar Lap didn't win just because Tommy Woodcock whispered sweet nothings in his ear. The sandhills had something to do with it.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Maybe he'll get a game when he stops being a sook. Maybe the coaches want to see more than a week or two of defensive intent before they promote him. Maybe they want him to stop acting like he's been mortally wounded every time he gets an owie, leaving us a man down until he miraculously recovers. Maybe they're trying to teach him something that will benefit him and us in the long term. Or maybe they're just big meanie idiots persecuting Noah at the expense of the team for sh1ts and giggles.

I like Cumbo, he has great talent. I think he could add another dimension to our forward line. He's shown that. But you have a selective memory if you ignore some of his most recent AFL outings when he would be unsighted for a half or more.

Phar Lap didn't win just because Tommy Woodcock whispered sweet nothings in his ear. The sandhills had something to do with it.
I saw a little if what you mention in your first paragraph last week at Metricon where I watched him closely- once I found myself yelling ffs get up Cumbo.
But there is no doubt he has improved in this area.
As a young player and a permanent forward it is not unusual to ‘go missing’ for half a game. They all do, except the elite like Toby Greene
Keep an eye on games this year, late in second or 3rd quarters- for example a bloke like Fritsch will take a mark - and it will come up on the screen and be his 3rd possession, with 0.1 to his name, but he will finish the game with a couple and is always dangerous.
Happens all the time with permanent forwards.

Banks is playing through the middle and is always missing, MRJ etc
It is just my opinion that Cumbo is still being judged on his previous year’s body language , and for his defensive work is being held to a much higher standard than others by posters on here. And yes I concede it appears the match committee! It’s why I have basically hoisted the white flag on this one, but can’t change my opinion that I would be playing him.

In tha last quarter last week when GC were coming, he chased his arse off. I know because I sat there and watched him, and defensively he was good all game

Reactions: 6 users
I saw a little if what you mention in your first paragraph last week at Metricon where I watched him closely- once I found myself yelling ffs get up Cumbo.
As a young player and a permanent forward it is not unusual to ‘go missing’ for half a game. They all do, except the elite like Toby Greene
Keep an eye on games this year, late in second or 3rd quarters- for example a bloke like Fritsch will take a mark - and it will come up on the screen and be his 3rd possession, with 0.1 to his name, but he will finish the game with a couple and is always dangerous.

It is just my opinion that Cumbo is still being judged on his previous year’s body language , and for his defensive work is being held to a much higher standard than others by posters on here. And yes I concede it appears the match committee! It’s why I have basically hoisted the white flag on this one, but can’t change my opinion that I would be playing him.

In tha last quarter last week when GC were coming, he chased his arse off. I know because I sat there and watched him, and defensively he was good all game
It's good that he's improving, Merv. I suspect if it continues we'll see him in the ones soon.

Reactions: 1 user

Thats good to hear on his defensive intent as this is clearly the recurrent theme here. I've just mentioned on the matchday thread that I think the reason he is out is due to team defence. He's more talented than most of our small forwards but for example, watch the work rate of Seth Campbell, thats not something we've seen of Noah too much, its more a small initial chase and then he gives up, and jogs, and then doesn't end up catching his opponent who then is a free man again.

Team defence is so important these days that you can't carry many of these players (its why the comment from Dimma around not playing Cumbo and Dusty in the same forward line for example).

I'm hoping that the penny has finally clicked with him and he's upped his work rate. I really liked he trained with Jake Soligo in the off season (with Sonsie) as getting his fitness levels up was probably part of this issue.

I totally get the MRJ comparison, I think MRJ is the opposite to Cumbo, full on team defence but very little offensively. I guess its what the coaches work out, how many scores do we lose because of poor team defence vs whats created from offensive plays. We all know that team defence starts in our forward line and why I think MRJ is back in the side on Sunday. If Sydney continually waltz the ball easily out of there like Port did, then theres a much bigger question to be asked of the boys.

Reactions: 5 users

Perhaps they're just waiting for the Cummerbund to make last weeks efforts the normal in his game rather than just sometimes.
When we're talking about performing at the elite level it's more about work ethic n effort to create opportunities regardless of whether they do arrive or not than just simply being good enough to make the most of a flukey opportunity that falls in your lap from someone else's hard work. We all know he can achieve the second scenario well enough but it's consistently achieving the first that will make him a player instead of another missed talent.

So the story is we play Mansell and MJ to have the worst forward team defence in the comp We also know on form they will be lucky to kick 1 goal between them
Leave out a guy who is likely to average more than a goal a game
Surely better logic would be to play one of MJ and Mansell and a goal kicker
The best defence is score on the board

Reactions: 3 users
It's good that he's improving, Merv. I suspect if it continues we'll see him in the ones soon.
Some of his body language was still there and it's like, why?? Just get on with it. Anyway as I said I am at the acceptance stage that his faults mean he is not getting picked..

Perhaps they're just waiting for the Cummerbund to make last weeks efforts the normal in his game rather than just sometimes.
When we're talking about performing at the elite level it's more about work ethic n effort to create opportunities regardless of whether they do arrive or not than just simply being good enough to make the most of a flukey opportunity that falls in your lap from someone else's hard work. We all know he can achieve the second scenario well enough but it's consistently achieving the first that will make him a player instead of another missed talent.
I think that bit about flukey opportunities that fall in his lap is tough on him as well, I think he is better than that - all forwards get the occasional Joe the Goose,but his anticipation, speed off the mark and one-on-one work creates many opportunities for him

Hope he doesn't have a stinker tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
I think that bit about flukey opportunities that fall in his lap is tough on him as well, I think he is better than that - all forwards get the occasional Joe the Goose,but his anticipation, speed off the mark and one-on-one work creates many opportunities for him

Hope he doesn't have a stinker tomorrow!
Wouldn’t matter what Cumbo does
The match committee have shown that he’s down the pecking order when it comes to being picked
As others have said were last for defensive pressure in the forward line but we still pick the same players
Mansell has only had 3 tackles in the last 2 games ( 1.5 tackles a game ) and MJ just loves chasing backsides doesn’t trouble the scoreboard

If he can rise again on Sunday, i reckon this weekend will be the last time Cumberland is crucified by the selection committee.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Pretty hard to explain to Cumberland that the reason he isn't getting a game is due to lack of defensive pressure, when the senior team had our worst pressure game for a decade.

Must be something else.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty hard to explain to Cumberland that the reason he isn't getting a game is due to lack of defensive pressure, when the senior team had our worst pressure game for a decade.

Must be something else.
Some clown in the club has spread the dislike through to Quack Quack and now Yze.
How can he not be in out team tommorow?
The joint loves bending itself over

To my eye I've always thought his defensive efforts are good. Surely better than what we've witnessed from the first team this season. The main knock I have is his over exaggeration when he gets hit, however DRioli to a lesser extent also has a habit of doing this. Would be surprised if this is the reason he's being overlooked.

Noah and MJ may both be “small” as forwards as in height, but they are very different players.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t see even one good reason why MJ continues to get a game without performing.

With Noah, I’d bet he has another decent performance in the VFL this week he comes in.
Was emergency for round zero. He will get a game soon.