Sam Kerr - police charge discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Kerr - police charge discussion

Good post.
Sometimes it’s not even whether the recipient heard the (racist) remark directed at them. But others can take offence on their behalf. (Referring to Taylor Walker here). He was hung, drawn and quartered for a remark the intended recipient didn’t hear. How did that play out? No court case, just a public execution.

The comments were both very similar.
Is Sam excused because she was drunk. Is that mitigating circumstances? It just seems odd that it’s taken so long to be publicised and is heading for court. Surely a sincere apology would have sufficed. ..and pay for cleaning the taxi.

Apparently neither Chelsea FC nor Football Australia were informed of the event/charges by Sam or her management until it hit the news

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Apparently neither Chelsea FC nor Football Australia were informed of the event/charges by Sam or her management until it hit the news

So there's a chance here the Kerr herself didn't know there was a possibility of a charge over the event until last week.

Reactions: 1 users
So there's a chance here the Kerr herself didn't know there was a possibility of a charge over the event until last week.
Well there seems somethings going on. Why would it take 12 months for charges to be laid. Especially for what she was alleged to have said.
There has to be more to it. Surely. Not that I’d have any idea what, but if true, “stupid white bastard” takes 12 months? Cripes.

Racism is all about power, as mentioned in a story in The Age this morning:

Last year, Associate Professor Mario Peucker, principal research fellow at Melbourne’s Victoria University, penned an article claiming that “reverse racism” – or anti-white racism – is a myth. That is because it ignores one of racism’s central markers: power. White power accumulated from centuries of colonisation and dominance. Peucker cites a definition from a 1988 paper on the subject: “Racism equals power plus prejudice.”

Think of it like this: I could call someone a "rich bastard" and that could be considered classist but the reality is the privilege of being rich means the insult has no power. If, however, you call someone "poor scum" then it does have power as being poor has no privilege

The same applies to racism, reverse racism is bogus.

DS

I know this hasn’t got anything to do with Sam Kerr but I saw this and thought it was topical to this discussion. I couldn’t find a racism thread so, mods, please move it to there if there is one. Thanks

Ape Monkey Golliwog Whitey etc etc etc etc all banned so what is not banned to upset the thinned skinned lot. They want to toughen up like Bobby Skilton three times a Brownie whose label was " Chimp ". What about Rabbit my tag growing up in Sunshine.

Racism is all about power, as mentioned in a story in The Age this morning:

Think of it like this: I could call someone a "rich bastard" and that could be considered classist but the reality is the privilege of being rich means the insult has no power. If, however, you call someone "poor scum" then it does have power as being poor has no privilege

The same applies to racism, reverse racism is bogus.

DS
Oh, an academic wrote an article. That's the end of the discussion then. Check and mate.

Politely, I think that's hogwash. Maybe we could find another academic who writes the opposite, then we could debate who's academic is more right.

It's very simple. "You bastard".
No race mentioned.

"You (insert race description here) bastard."
See the difference? Why did the race need to be added? You could have insulted them without the introduction of their race, unless of course, you have a problem with their race and feel it needs to be added for a particular reason...

Racist words are racism. Not structural or institutional racism, just plain ol fashioned, racist language. Regardless of what colour of person says them.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, an academic wrote an article. That's the end of the discussion then. Check and mate.

Politely, I think that's hogwash. Maybe we could find another academic who writes the opposite, then we could debate who's academic is more right.

No race mentioned.

See the difference? Why did the race need to be added? You could have insulted them without the introduction of their race, unless of course, you have a problem with their race and feel it needs to be added for a particular reason...

Racist words are racism. Not structural or institutional racism, just plain ol fashioned, racist language. Regardless of what colour of person says them.

Look, I understand where you are coming from, I disagree. I quoted the academic as they put it well.

Racism is all about power, it only works when your race has held power over the race of the person being subjected to racism, otherwise it is not racism. Without the power aspect racism has no point.

After reading an article this morning I should clarify one thing. It is not just about colour, the Irish have experienced a lot of racism, which again, was all about exerting power over them.

DS

Noting, this is Australian, not British.

Screenshot_20240309_134628_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_134636_Chrome.jpg

I get what you're saying David, and you're more aligned with discrimination, not with racist speech.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_134628_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_134628_Chrome.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240309_134636_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_134636_Chrome.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 2

No race mentioned.

I guess what we don’t know is whether the police officer said or did something that caused the ‘white bastard‘ out burst.

I guess what we don’t know is whether the police officer said or did something that caused the ‘white bastard‘ out burst.
Nope we don't. The whole guilt and penalty is another discussion I reckon. Maybe in the UK it's more offensive than here, but % % Bastard is a pretty mild insult here.
As I said above, surely she should have been given a fine for offensive behaviour or something like that and move on. Going to court for this, seems heavy handed.

General, you accuse me of an appeal to authority and then quote the law . . . I'll leave you to interpret that.

Plus, that law you quote states that you have to say something "reasonably likely" to offend. I would say it is not reasonably likely to offend when the race you are pointing to is the race which has consistently been the race presented as somehow superior.

As I said, I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree.

Racism is about exerting power on the basis of race, without the power aspect it is just a run of the mill insult. Without the context of whites (except Irish) being treated better because of their race, racism has no special status. I can insult someone for supporting the wrong football team, but this is not a prejudice we police because it is a prejudice without a context of unequal power. Racism is a prejudice with a context of unequal power.

Can I claim offence from a Collingwood supporter who insults me because I support Richmond now?

DS

General, you accuse me of an appeal to authority and then quote the law . . . I'll leave you to interpret that.

Plus, that law you quote states that you have to say something "reasonably likely" to offend. I would say it is not reasonably likely to offend when the race you are pointing to is the race which has consistently been the race presented as somehow superior.

As I said, I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree.

Racism is about exerting power on the basis of race, without the power aspect it is just a run of the mill insult. Without the context of whites (except Irish) being treated better because of their race, racism has no special status. I can insult someone for supporting the wrong football team, but this is not a prejudice we police because it is a prejudice without a context of unequal power. Racism is a prejudice with a context of unequal power.

Can I claim offence from a Collingwood supporter who insults me because I support Richmond now?

DS
So maybe the copper was of Irish descent.
Does that then mean it could have been a racist comment?

Craig Foster put out a good statement today, and he quoted Diversity Australia who point out:

Foster cited the Diversity Council of Australia’s definition of racism as being when someone “with race-based societal power discriminates, excludes or disadvantages a racially based person” because of their race, colour or descent.

The critical thing is the race-based societal power.

As explained in an article in The Guardian, Kerr is being racially gaslit:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...erstanding-of-a-world-still-divided-by-colour

Racism is more than just bad behaviour.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Well it doesn’t really matter who’s or what’s definition of a racist is or that another person can’t be a victim if they are a “racially based person”
What about a racial based slur or insult. Is that different to a racist based slur or insult?
If it does end up in court.The court will hear the facts, consider the evidence presented, any extenuating circumstances and deliver the judgement.

What we haven’t got is all the facts of what happened, who said what to whom or anything else. Just the alleged three words that have been released publicly but are disputed by Kerr.

I think there has to be more to this story than just those 3 words. Time will tell

Last edited:
culture war skirmish.

has Murdoch put her on the back page of the sun in a KKK hood yet?
Oi! Get your own bloody fancy racist outfits. Them weirdo pointy hoods n bed sheets belong to us honky snowflakes stop trying to usurp n imitate our culture.

The act of offence is determined by the recipient remember, not by the person saying the comment. Who are we to comment on whether that person was offended?
The act of offence can also be determined by anyone who simply happened to overhear the comments, not just the person who was the recipient of the comment. Officially even if two friends are simply engaging in bantering insults a third party can legally offended by overhearing those comments and bring an actionable complaint.

Bloody meedjia, always sticking their noses in where they aren't wanted.

If she's chundered in the taxi, maybe he told her she should clean up the mess herself if she didn't want to pay for the cleaning bill. That'd arc up anyone with a skinful.