Sam Kerr - police charge discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Kerr - police charge discussion

Really? She's the biggest name in Australian soccer , The Matildas skipper & been charged & you're saying it can't be discussed here? Ok.:oops:
Thanks to the mods for splitting this thread. I am happy for Kerr's comments to be discussed and for racism to be discussed.
I just didnt want that to happen on the thread that should be, and is, about the Matildas and their path to the Olympics.

Reactions: 1 user
Why? She’s not playing the season
Ian is a massive conspiracy theorist/victim when it comes to soccer/football. I mean his statement below cannot be taken seriously.

In fact, I will double down by saying that Sam Kerr is being targeted by the Australian media because she is black, gay, female and plays a sport many Australians (especially boomers) are hostile towards. She is an easy target in that regard.

Hostile towards soccer? Is that why the womens world cup was sold out and a huge attendance/ratings/popularity success? The male side has supplanted the Wallabies as the most popular team representing the country.

He's cooked, done too many raves.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
With respect mate, ask white South Africans if it's bogus. Many have had to flee their country.

Racism is racism.

All i know a about South African history is from reading Nelson Mandela's biography, (i have read the official and unofficial version), and also from what I googled below.

The Apartheid (1948 to 1994) in South Africa was the racial segregation under the all-white government of South Africa which dictated that non-white South Africans (a majority of the population) were required to live in separate areas from whites and use separate public facilities, and contact between the two groups would be limited.

No doubt the repercussions of the past have resulted in violent reprisals which would be frightening.

Last edited:
All i know a about South African history is from reading Nelson Mandela's biography, (i have read the official and unofficial version), and also from what I googled below.

The Apartheid (1948 to 1994) in South Africa was the racial segregation under the all-white government of South Africa which dictated that non-white South Africans (a majority of the population) were required to live in separate areas from whites and use separate public facilities, and contact between the two groups would be limited.

Maybe @MD Jazz who resides in South Africa, (being white and a reasonable man), can share his thoughts?.

No doubt the repercussions of the past have resulted in violent reprisals which would be frightening.
I think you mean @DjJazzyPete

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Maybe @DjJazzyPete who resides in South Africa, (being white and a reasonable man), can share his thoughts?.

I thought DjJazzyPete lives in Botswana

For those who think white people are immune to racism, you should come and live in Asia for a while.

Kerr made a racist remark. You cannot deny that. She was drunk and stupid.

I very much doubt the cop felt any hurt, anguish, pain or felt degenerated by her comment. The charge is a joke and she's being used as a pawn in a bigger agenda here.

But the second she added "white" to what she called the cop, she added race to the argument.

Reactions: 3 users
You're approach basically says no white person can ever be subjected to racism, because of history and because the system is inherently in favour of white people. That stance lacks a lot of nuance.

Have a look at my one sentence post from yesterday (below). Please tell me where i said a white person can't be subjected to racism? I'm talking about context mate.

come on. you surely can't be suggesting this is anywhere near the same?

culture war skirmish.

has Murdoch put her on the back page of the sun in a KKK hood yet?

Reactions: 2 users
I very much doubt the cop felt any hurt, anguish, pain or felt degenerated by her comment. The charge is a joke and she's being used as a pawn in a bigger agenda here.
This I agree with.

To play devils advocate.

This is an assumption.......the last thing police need is to respond to a call with their busy work loads, to find a drunk person who has vomited in a taxi and is refusing to pay the regulated cleanup fee.

I don't get why the charges took 12 months to be laid.

Ian is a massive conspiracy theorist/victim when it comes to soccer/football. I mean his statement below cannot be taken seriously.

Mate, police in NSW and QLD had heavy-handed crackdowns on innocent fans at A-League games last weekend... same weekend the NRL started. last night channel 7 had a story about an incident at an A-League game on Australia day. on the very same day the AFL season starts. Australia day was 6 weeks ago.

I don't give a flying F if you or anyone else thinks I'm wearing a tin foil hat and/or a conspiracy theorist on this subject. I don't go to as many A-League games as i used to and i am not invested as much as i used to be. But this is not a coincidence and no one will convince me otherwise.

The Sam Kerr thing... I'm less inclined to believe its a coincidence. But you can't blame me for being suspicious about the timing of it considering the alleged incident happened over 12 months ago and the charges were laid 7 weeks ago.

Mate, police in NSW and QLD had heavy-handed crackdowns on innocent fans at A-League games last weekend... same weekend the NRL started. last night channel 7 had a story about an incident at an A-League game on Australia day. on the very same day the AFL season starts. Australia day was 6 weeks ago.

I don't give a flying F if you or anyone else thinks I'm wearing a tin foil hat and/or a conspiracy theorist on this subject. I don't go to as many A-League games as i used to and i am not invested as much as i used to be. But this is not a coincidence and no one will convince me otherwise.

The Sam Kerr thing... I'm less inclined to believe its a coincidence. But you can't blame me for being suspicious about the timing of it considering the alleged incident happened over 12 months ago and the charges were laid 7 weeks ago.
Mathilda's are getting a glory run in Australian media lately. If anything they are also pushing the fact this charge seems way over the top.

Not sure anyone is saying a white person can ever be subject to racism but IMO it would be extremely rare.

A white copper in London gets called a stupid white bastard by a black woman and you expect him to be somehow racially hurt by this comment? You argue nuance, what must I be missing here?
The act of offence is determined by the recipient remember, not by the person saying the comment. Who are we to comment on whether that person was offended?

As for white people being subjected to racism, I'd say in a western society it would absolutely likely be rarer and likely less severe.
I've experienced it, especially travelling in other parts of the world. An old employer told me verbally I wasn't considered for a promotion because "Australian's are lazy", for example.

However what I've experienced is nothing in comparison to how people change/act around my wife. She is not white and still has PTSD due to the incidents she's experienced. A colleague I work with has had taxis refuse to drive her because she's African. I get the magnitude of difference in how it plays out.

In terms of whether Kerr's incident should go to a court proceeding....I personally can't see its a valuable use of time. Aren't their laws/penalties for abusive language towards police? Something like this should be a fine and move on.

To play devils advocate.

This is an assumption.......the last thing police need is to respond to a call with their busy work loads, to find a drunk person who has vomited in a taxi and is refusing to pay the regulated cleanup fee.

I don't get why the charges took 12 months to be laid.
Good post.
Sometimes it’s not even whether the recipient heard the (racist) remark directed at them. But others can take offence on their behalf. (Referring to Taylor Walker here). He was hung, drawn and quartered for a remark the intended recipient didn’t hear. How did that play out? No court case, just a public execution.

The comments were both very similar.
Is Sam excused because she was drunk. Is that mitigating circumstances? It just seems odd that it’s taken so long to be publicised and is heading for court. Surely a sincere apology would have sufficed. ..and pay for cleaning the taxi.