Round 8: the Epiphany Cross Dive games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 8: the Epiphany Cross Dive games.

It was a nice ride while it lasted.

I had some exhilarating times supporting this club in the past nine or so months, moments I'll remember.

But tonight feels like a declaration, a full-stop or the last remaining shred of evidence gathered to close an investigation - that this group will not be winning anything.

I like to think I'm realistic in my expectations but there were times in the past nine or so months where I dared to dream that this group had a premiership in it. Swept up in the belief, the hullabaloo, you could say. It felt strange.

Games like tonight and last week are the ones that make serious teams and separate the genuine article from the fraud.

Last year was last year and they won some big games, including a couple of finals. But I did say the challenge was to back it up, which they haven't. We can't be living off last year.

The talent in the best 22 drops away after those considered 'top tier', sound decision-making under pressure completely lacks, system seems non-existent, skills lack precision and polish. There are more to list, but compound it all and it simply boils down to the fact that they're just not good enough.

If you want to talk systems, Collingwood's set play from when they had it in D50 after McKay blew the match, was a text-book example. As soon as it landed in the Collingwood player's bread basket, I knew it was 'game over'. They transitioned the ball with such precision - they train for those moments and those plays. Seizing an inch given up by the opposition. They KNEW what they were doing. Educated footy. Compare that to McKay's error or any number of times when smarts, direction and a cool head needed to prevail when the Blues had the pill, and the difference was stark. It's one thing to win the ball, but it's another to know what you're going to do with it - and have everybody on your side on the same page. Collingwood does this and that is why they've built a reputation for winning close ones - including a grand final. They are organised.

It's a tough road ahead, starting with Melbourne in six days before a trip to Sydney. The wave of momentum has come and gone, bearing a sobering reality.

And it is this...

The Blues are an average team which isn't winning a damn thing. Finals this year? Maybe. Finish in the four? Doubt it. And if they do, they'll have fallen in - think Hawthorn 2018. Sure, they might win a final.

And they're just as likely to miss the eight.

Reactions: 4 users
It was a nice ride while it lasted.

I had some exhilarating times supporting this club in the past nine or so months, moments I'll remember.

But tonight feels like a declaration, a full-stop or the last remaining shred of evidence gathered to close an investigation - that this group will not be winning anything.

I like to think I'm realistic in my expectations but there were times in the past nine or so months where I dared to dream that this group had a premiership in it. Swept up in the belief, the hullabaloo, you could say. It felt strange.

Games like tonight and last week are the ones that make serious teams and separate the genuine article from the fraud.

Last year was last year and they won some big games, including a couple of finals. But I did say the challenge was to back it up, which they haven't. We can't be living off last year.

The talent in the best 22 drops away after those considered 'top tier', sound decision-making under pressure completely lacks, system seems non-existent, skills lack precision and polish. There are more to list, but compound it all and it simply boils down to the fact that they're just not good enough.

If you want to talk systems, Collingwood's set play from when they had it in D50 after McKay blew the match, was a text-book example. As soon as it landed in the Collingwood player's bread basket, I knew it was 'game over'. They transitioned the ball with such precision - they train for those moments and those plays. Seizing an inch given up by the opposition. They KNEW what they were doing. Educated footy. Compare that to McKay's error or any number of times when smarts, direction and a cool head needed to prevail when the Blues had the pill, and the difference was stark. It's one thing to win the ball, but it's another to know what you're going to do with it - and have everybody on your side on the same page. Collingwood does this and that is why they've built a reputation for winning close ones - including a grand final. They are organised.

It's a tough road ahead, starting with Melbourne in six days before a trip to Sydney. The wave of momentum has come and gone, bearing a sobering reality.

And it is this...

The Blues are an average team which isn't winning a damn thing. Finals this year? Maybe. Finish in the four? Doubt it. And if they do, they'll have fallen in - think Hawthorn 2018. Sure, they might win a final.

And they're just as likely to miss the eight.
Mmmm. I wouldn’t be that definitive, the season is still young.

I think I posted a month or so ago that my concern with Carlton was the bottom 6 in the team and it still is, but premierships are not just about talent they are also about momentum and injuries.

In 2017 Richmond lost 4 in a row in rounds 6-9 , 3 of them very close games.

Carlton are still In the mix

Reactions: 9 users
It’s alright @BluesBloke McClure said you have to be premiership favourites at the start of the season and a few weeks ago he wasn’t even sure how you could lose a game.

I mean he got degoey leaving, dusty leaving and Reid not going to west coast all right. Didn’t he?

I’ll trust your judgement methinks. But things can turn and the comp is super tight. If McKay doesn’t have the brain fade, or Collingwood have to deal with discos being injured maybe you feel differently this morning

It’s alright @BluesBloke McClure said you have to be premiership favourites at the start of the season and a few weeks ago he wasn’t even sure how you could lose a game.

I mean he got degoey leaving, dusty leaving and Reid not going to west coast all right. Didn’t he?

I’ll trust your judgement methinks. But things can turn and the comp is super tight. If McKay doesn’t have the brain fade, or Collingwood have to deal with discos being injured maybe you feel differently this morning
The moment McClure opened his mouth I knew we were screwed. 😂 The bloke embarrasses himself every time he exercises the vocal cords.

He embodies absolutely everything inherently wrong with the AFL media.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

I think I posted a month or so ago that my concern with Carlton was the bottom 6 in the team and it still is, but premierships are not just about talent they are also about momentum and injuries.

I wish I shared your optimism!

They have only lost 3 games by 2, 13 and 6 points, agree long way to go yet.

I dont think Bloos are far away but need to tighten up defensively and one player with some magic would help.

I didn't go tonight for health reasons
Must be serious hard on the mental health BBgun. After putting up with years of crap footy there's finally a bright shiny future right in front of ya n just as the finals n flags drum starts pumpin ya up, there's a Moggies n Colonwood tearing down all your fancy shiny happy bits.

Must be serious hard on the mental health BBgun. After putting up with years of crap footy there's finally a bright shiny future right in front of ya n just as the finals n flags drum starts pumpin ya up, there's a Moggies n Colonwood tearing down all your fancy shiny happy bits.
I always hesitate going to Collingwood matches because invariably they are not pleasant in the crowd. Of course if we win that is great and fun but there is a general feeling of aggression in Collingwood crowds that I don’t like and I don’t feel with other Victorian teams. Similar to going to Adelaide or Perth
I don’t know if it is just me or not

Reactions: 1 users
Unbelievably biased umpiring favouring Sydney. GWS would be second to the tigers in umpire hate.

Has provided the Swans with plenty of momentum

Reactions: 1 users
Unbelievably biased umpiring favouring Sydney. GWS would be second to the tigers in umpire hate.

Has provided the Swans with plenty of momentum
Your stole what I was about to post.
Just switched it on.
Sydney get everything and GWS are setting zero. They are fking up the game.
Just sick of them.
Whst was the Armerty free for??
Warner shouldve been callsd for holding the ball 2 seconds earlier.
16-7

Reactions: 1 user
Missing Tom Green has killed the GWS. Umps have not helped but the rain, no Green has blunted the GWS speed advantage. Someone has to get the ball to the runners.